• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Severe or Hans Macaw

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
OMG!!! Soooo cute! I love them all :heart:

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
My coworkers at the bird store all have a running joke about the Severe macaw. They got the name because they have a severely bad attitude. I think once you get past the growing pains and hormones they make great companions.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
My coworkers at the bird store all have a running joke about the Severe macaw. They got the name because they have a severely bad attitude. I think once you get past the growing pains and hormones they make great companions.
Haha, that's similar to what I wrote as well :)
When I was researching Severe Macaws, I came across an article with the assertion that, "Chestnut-fronted macaws were given the nickname Severe because that's how doctors describe the bites they inflict".

That's paraphrased, and I can't find the source, but even Wikipedia says, "In the wild their typically gregarious personality can become more aggressive at puberty giving them the name Severe". That applies to most parrots...

Hahns0hmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Adam

allll day knock knock and daddy!

Last edited:

Hahns0hmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Adam

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

allll day knock knock and daddy!
I am constantly watching Jeff in YouTube... Your boy has such a cute voice.

Timsunbear

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Susan
Hi all! I am trying to decide between a Severe or a Hans Macaw. I have some bird experience but am doing lots of research...hence the question...Severe versus Hans macaw. I have heard many people state that a severe may not make as good of a companion as a Hans. I was wanting a bigger bird (not a large Mac) so the severe appealed to me. Also their colors are gorgeous!!! However the little Hans is sooo cute with their voice. I'm looking for a bird that can go in the car, chill with me on the couch and maybe free flight in the future. Of course snuggles are a plus, but I'm not counting on it as it depends on the bird personality (by snuggles I mean head and neck scratches). I am open to baby or adoption, but leaning towards adoption because of my age...48. I really want your opinion about the species. Maybe they are so close in species that it doesn't matter? Please advise......
Hello my best bet get a baby I bought a 5 yr old mini Hans macaw and it was mean I can’t tell if male or female but I think it’s a female very territorial of cage after so many years working when I let it out I finally can pet it

Timsunbear

Real Name
Susan
Hello my best bet get a baby I bought a 5 yr old mini Hans macaw and it was mean I can’t tell if male or female but I think it’s a female very territorial of cage after so many years working when I let it out I finally can pet it
I’ve also had parrotlet you can cuddle with you and you can take them where ever you go just clip wings baby is best bet I had a African grey when I got married in1980 it lived 31 yrs love African grey I adopted another got it when it was 11 yrs old it’s super great my best advice to get a baby I’ve raised parakeets and cockatiels in past I’m the bird lady

Timsunbear

Real Name
Susan
my little boy is 3 hahns, extremely active bird. dont know where they get the energy. smart capable and loud as well. mine squawks often. if i had to complain it would be im probably going deaf. otherwise great bird and great personality
Hello I have mini Hans macaw not sure what sex but very territorial of cage I’m assuming female