• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Severe macaw to the party!

What should I call him?

• Total voters

M4ryk4t3

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
MK
Hi everyone! I came across this forum and I’m excited to have people to talk about my bird with! I have a chestnut fronted macaw named Safari! He’s 7-10 years old! I’m very excited to make some new friends and learn some new exciting parrot stuff! Wanted to share some pictures! The humans are me and my husband. He’s had a lot of birds but I’ve only had a dove before. Safari is super attached to me too, like he is a momma boy for sure. We’ve had him for less then a month. We got him because my husbands grandparents get conned by a man who owns a pet store by then and will tell them sob stories about the birds and over charge them for them. She will have too many pets and have to purge them out to people. (For example she has 8 large birds, 3 dogs and I think 4 or 5 cats as of right now. When I first met Safari he was super interested in me and when I left he was screaming like a dying bunny. So, I told them I was interested in taking him whenever they wanted and about 6 months later here is is with me!

and for the poll-
The pet store owner named him Safari from birth and when he was 4 he went to my grandparent in law and they called him Stanley for 4 years. What do you think I should call him? I’ve been calling Safari but I can’t tell if he’s responding to it or what he would prefer, help!

Attachments

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Aww, cutie. :xflove: They're both good names, but if he doesn't respond to either you could call him whatever you like! Thanks for giving him a home.

His claws look quite overgrown, so once he has more chance to settle in fully you might want to get them trimmed down some. ;)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue! 1.welcome signs.gif

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
At 7-10 years old, I'd be surprised if he didn't know his name.
I'd recommend giving Safari/Stanley more time so you're able to determine what he responds to.
When he's more comfortable with his new surroundings, he may even tell you his name (both of my macaws can say their own name).

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I like Stanley. Severes are impossibly cute - they remind me of little elves with a lot of attitude. Get him to an avian vet for a healthy bird checkup as soon as possible. For his talons that are overgrown and to make sure he doesn't have any hidden illnesses or diseases.

Welcome to AA.

M4ryk4t3

Real Name
MK
Aww, cutie. :xflove: They're both good names, but if he doesn't respond to either you could call him whatever you like! Thanks for giving him a home.

His claws look quite overgrown, so once he has more chance to settle in fully you might want to get them trimmed down some. ;)
Yeah we just got him, I’m waiting for nail clipper to come in the mail! That was the first thing I said when I got him lol!

M4ryk4t3

Real Name
MK
I like Stanley. Severes are impossibly cute - they remind me of little elves with a lot of attitude. Get him to an avian vet for a healthy bird checkup as soon as possible. For his talons that are overgrown and to make sure he doesn't have any hidden illnesses or diseases.

Welcome to AA.
I’ve been looking for a vet to just get him checked out, I’m having a hard time finding someone who isn’t 2 hours or more away.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Tell us what area you live in and we may be able to help you find one.

I drive 1 hour 40 min to and from my vet - many of us do.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
waiting for nail clipper
Be careful with clipping his nails on your own, especially when they're overgrown and the quick is likely elongated as a result.
Go slow (nibble away at the length, rather than taking big chunks), and have a blood-stop available if you accidentally trim too far.

Having a vet do it initially is the safest route, and you may also be able to train him to allow maintenance with a simple nail file once they're a comfortable length.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:welcome2: Welcome to AA!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome. Both are good names.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! He's beautiful. I too suspect he knows his name- whichever it is. I would give him a bit more time. As for nail clippping, if you've never done it before, I think I would take him to someone to have his nails trimmed at least the first time to see how it goes. Especially since he's just learning to trust you. My vet does my birds- he always tells me it's better for him to be the bad guy and me to give the cuddles after. :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Image00004_20190106012754320.jpg

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
Awww, I love both the names. I practically couldn't choose!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome!