• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Severe macaw noise?

Tinta

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I'm curious as to the noise level of a severe macaw.
With my recent falling for the species, I wonder if I would even be able to handle the potential loudness well.

So since I think someone here might know...
Is a severe macaw as loud as a screaming eclectus?

Covsky was a very quiet bird and from what I have heard from amazons on youtube, they seem mostly growly and low volume.
But I birdsat a female ekkie for a number of weeks once and she had this particular call that would have my ears ringing for awhile after. (her other sounds were very cute, much less painful and...monkey like? :3)
There was even this fuzzy, kind of water logged feeling that remained for a week or two after she left me. (but she would do this call often and mostly when perched somewhere on me)

Edit:
Video/sound evidence is appreciated.
I have heard that the severe macaw can be as loud and louder than the larger macaws too, do you AAers agree?

Last edited:

Trumpet

Meeting neighbors
We're getting a baby soon so ill let you know! That said, from playing in bagpipe bands when younger i am potentially a bit deaf already lol!!

Tinta

Avenue Veteran
Oh! I'll be happy to see and hear about your baby.
Post tons of pictures! :3

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Maybe Saemma will post a video for you. :) I have never heard an Eclectus scream in person, so I can't offer any thoughts there, but I can tell you that most large macaws are much louder than most minis. :) That being said, Severes are the largest mini, and they are loud. I don't think there's much difference between them and a Red Front--I doubt there's a whole lot of difference in the middle mac range, actually, from a large Illy to a Severe to an RFM, anything in that range is going to be louder than most normal people can deal with. But, a large macaw? That's a whole other level of loud--Elvis blows everyone here out of the water. :D

Tinta

Avenue Veteran
I am hoping this thread does catch her eye. :p

I don't think I could handle a large macaw or cockatoo's noise. (I also couldn't handle owning one just because of their size and all that comes with that)

I think I might be able to do well with a severe. :3 But I need more information.

Tinta

Avenue Veteran
Can you give any insight in the difference in noise level and such between Zoe and Elvis?

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can you give any insight in the difference in noise level and such between Zoe and Elvis?
Sure, I can try :) Zoe has a screechy nails-on-chalkboard sound to her voice that is very irritating, and she is loud (louder than the minis), but Elvis can be nearly twice as loud as Zoe (not surprising when you consider she's twice as large). In sheer volume, she can drown her out easily--the glass in the windows literally rattles :eek:. Luckily, Elvis doesn't scream much. Zoe, on the other hand, well she's a screamer :rolleyes:

Tinta

Avenue Veteran
That's interesting. I've never heard a severe macaw scream in person, but I have heard a blue and gold go. Intense.
If severes can't get quite that much going, that is very good for me. Haha.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's interesting. I've never heard a severe macaw scream in person, but I have heard a blue and gold go. Intense.
If severes can't get quite that much going, that is very good for me. Haha.
I think you could handle it :)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mabel's LOUD is pretty LOUD but I'm not sure her loud compares to the sound of any big Macaw. The first time I heard her sound off was a few days after she arrived at my home and I was quite appalled because she was in a different room with the door closed, yet Sachi and Emma both fell off their perches and I remember wondering if her volume would blow the hinges off the door. That was a pretty long time ago. Anyway, I'm used to her noise today and although she may have volume, she's still the second quietest of all 4 of my parrots. That's right, quieter than Thomas poicephalus and Emma african grey. The first quietest would be Sachi. When Mabel sounds off, it's usually for under 45 seconds and sometimes only once a day and sometime not at all. I did take a video of her screaming once, however I noticed that the volume on the video was not a true representation of reality. I no longer have that video anymore and as I said, Mabel is pretty quiet. Another matter that I find quite interesting about her is that Mabel tends to only scream when she had a *valid* reason to, so when she does I am quick to pay attention and see what I can do to make her feel better. If I didn't live in a condo I wouldn't be bothered at all if she sounded off more often. I prefer her volume much more than Emma's less noisy but higher pitched sounds.

All in all, living with Mabel has made me realize that a happy, understood, and content severe macaw tends to be a relatively quiet one. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Tinta

Avenue Veteran
That does help, very much Seamma, thank you.
I am a fair bit more at ease and feeling like my complete flock may well be two birds large.

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
I'm curious about the eclectus call you experienced. Was it extremely high-pitched? Was the bird a Solomon female?

Tinta

Avenue Veteran
She was a SI female, yes.
It didn't seem particularly high, but had both high and low notes.
It was...kind of gravelly?

At about 1:40 and on in this video is pretty much it.

I suppose it could have been her close proximity to me that made it worse, though.
My ears really just did not do well with it. I'm kind of flinching at the memory, just from videos on youtube.

Last edited:

Tinta

Avenue Veteran
She made the sound when excited.
When a car passed on the road and she saw it through the window.
Or when listening to music.

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
That is interesting to me. First off, in the video you linked to the male is the bird who is sounding off. I suppose you know that and just chose this video as an example of the noise. Oh, and btw, the woman who owned those two birds did not keep the female very long. I used to be on an email list where she posted and within a few months of sharing that video, asking for ideas on how to keep the birds from reacting to the whistling, she no longer had the female. I don't know what she did with her.

I suppose every species can make a noise that is irritating to one degree or another. I can tell you that the noise in that video is NOT a happy noise, regardless what you thought when the girl you were near made it. It is more of an alarm call when something distresses them. For example, if I leave a food dish door open accidentally and one of my girls manages to climb out while another adult female is having her out of cage time and the two females encounter each other, the rest of the flock will begin making this frantic noise when the two females challenge each other. Believe me, I come running if I ever hear that type of call. It is infrequent and short lived.

MsCreature

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Shy
It's so exciting that we so many people on AA that are so knowledgeable about separate species. :] I love reading these threads just to see it.

Tinta

Avenue Veteran
That is interesting to me. First off, in the video you linked to the male is the bird who is sounding off. I suppose you know that and just chose this video as an example of the noise. Oh, and btw, the woman who owned those two birds did not keep the female very long. I used to be on an email list where she posted and within a few months of sharing that video, asking for ideas on how to keep the birds from reacting to the whistling, she no longer had the female. I don't know what she did with her.
I suppose every species can make a noise that is irritating to one degree or another. I can tell you that the noise in that video is NOT a happy noise, regardless what you thought when the girl you were near made it. It is more of an alarm call when something distresses them. For example, if I leave a food dish door open accidentally and one of my girls manages to climb out while another adult female is having her out of cage time and the two females encounter each other, the rest of the flock will begin making this frantic noise when the two females challenge each other. Believe me, I come running if I ever hear that type of call. It is infrequent and short lived.
Yeah, I know it's a male in the video but I've only ever had a female ekkie in my house. It was very much this sound, so yes, just an example video. Are the females not known to do it as much as the males?
That's too bad. I wonder why, especially when it seems to be mostly the male making a ruckus. I prefer the females myself, but couldn't own my own. :p

Oh. Well, that makes sense too, I guess. She was a very skittish little girl. I was bird sitting her to tame her. She didn't even know how to step up when she came to me, didn't seem socialized well at all. She was probably just very leery of me the first few days. And all the other times, I think it must have been things she saw out of windows. Like I said, she did it whenever a car passed. I have a video of her on my leg on a car ride and she does a quick one while some music is on, but it must have been a passing car that bothered her.
I'm glad you are here to tell me these things. :)

She was so very smart though. And just gorgeous.
She never let me pet her head, but seemed to greatly enjoy beak rubs before she left me.