• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Severe foot chewing

PufF

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Sam Chan
Not Puff but Yeo the YNA next to him.
He seems to be chewing his foot til its bleeding and scarred. Happened maybe like two weeks back but I thought it was just a random scar and only now Do I realise that it was worse and self inflicted.
He’s also being quite inactive and sitting there puffed up. I don’t think I can get the vet I will be informing the owner though.
86571DD7-FE8D-49E3-958D-E21053E322AE.jpeg 307A8B74-5128-4195-8387-BAD42C2AE9F1.jpeg 8480D174-B7F4-49DE-AF9A-3D52B234934B.jpeg 62C154D8-5D34-460B-B40F-BA6D7D254027.jpeg 64DFDC76-A843-4CD0-B520-9A0D4F245868.jpeg 82BB39C9-44A9-4482-AEBE-CDB8DEE241C1.jpeg 07854CBA-D1F2-4571-AB65-7C3870D9A8EE.jpeg BF953A78-F483-4A5B-A42A-665FA47760E9.jpeg

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
Update- Told the owner and he said that it’s fine it’s just that Yeo’s moulting skin??????????????
Googled a bit I’m quite sure that it’s nonsense.

Update 2 the owner wants me to 1) pluck his chewed feathers and 2) Yeo kinda took a bite of the burning (yes burning) incense that he was holding while said owner was trying to show that he was tame to him and I’m even more concerned now.

I would have to leave this place in half an hour that’s the most I can stay so I need advice right now because after today the next time I can come here would be Monday (if I try I’m not sure) or Tuesday.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Do not pluck his chewed feather that is in no way helpful to the bird at all.

The feet do look rather dry and unhappy. Do the birds get bathing opportunities? Whenever Burt gets a little dry skin on his feet a little water usually fixes them right up but Burt's feet and skin have never looked so unhappy.

Hopefully the incense he bit was not the burning part :(

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
Yes I’m definitely NOT going to pluck his feathers I know it hurts a hell lot. And sadly he bit the burning part..
Bathing opportunities I can’t be sure but I can do that. Should I be concerned with his feet though?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The bird may have arthritis. His perch is quite inappropriate and if he is on it all day and (horrors) all night as well, he very likely has arthritis. The pain will cause him to chew on his foot. He needs lots of time off that perch, a new perch and pain medications.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
@Hankmacaw I wonder if boredom and lack of enrichment would add to that and make it worse?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Zara Take a look at the toe on the right foot closest to the camera. See the knobs on the joints - telling for severe arthritis. It culd be boredom, but I think the physical issues play a much larger part.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
No! That's an open wound. That tether has to go. No bird should be treated this way. So wrong to see this.

You can try to put a cayenne pepper paste onto this area. It's inexpensive to do, will help ease any pain and it has slight anti microbial properties. I have mixed cayenne pepper with alittle water and coconut oil to make it easy to apply and stick.

I truly wish this Person would allow this bird a life with you, it so deserves!

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
The bird may have arthritis. His perch is quite inappropriate and if he is on it all day and (horrors) all night as well, he very likely has arthritis. The pain will cause him to chew on his foot. He needs lots of time off that perch, a new perch and pain medications.
But from what I’ve seen the bottom of his foot seems to be alright (at least months ago because that day I didn’t check the soles of his feet)
And yes he is on that perch along with EVERY single other bird there on a tether and a shizzty perch. 24/7. Let me emphasis 24/7.
I feel bad for the macaws close to Molly the most as Molly is an M2 and we all know new and old worlds’ do not mix. The owner refuses to listen. I have cayanne pepper (I have a whole birdy first aid kit in fact so that should be fine. I do not however, have coconut oil. I wonder if Vitamin E oil will do? @Love My Zons .

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
Also does anyone have a picture of a proper Amazon foot? I’m quite sure I’ve never seen one before so now I’m confused as of what is good and what is not.
@Hankmacaw could you please do a quick little sketch of that sort to show me the knobs? I’m not quite sure what you mean by that.
So now my plan is to maybe visit Puff and Yeo tomorrow, get some updates on Yeo and try to apply the pepper paste (not sure if owner would let me but I hope so) and see how.

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
Also he does not want me to touch him, most of the so called close ups you see is me zooming in the pics I took. I can’t hold him without a hard bite and I can’t do big movements either as the staff will notice.

Also here is a list of what I can do and can’t do in that shop

- pick Yeo up (though he really doesn’t cooperate)

- apply paste so long as no one notices (doubt they will considering how severe Yeo’s foot condition is but no one cares)

- change his diet (if needed)

I can’t

-Get him a vet (only the owner can do that but I doubt he would, he might just be more inclined to buy a new one)

-Change his perch (same reason as above)

-Take him off his perch (same reason as above)

-Bath him

(technically I can so long as owner doesn’t see because he thinks that I will kill them.

On his part well yes wrong bathing techniques do kill birds but I do believe that water mist (keyword mist) even if it does get into the nose isn’t going to be harmful.

Also another question, can I mist him while raining? They are not exposed to the elements but they are sort of in the open as in the cold air can get in and would it be a goo idea to mist them even when it is raining?)

edited for clarity

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
- apply paste so long as no one notices (doubt they will
Remember, you really shouldn´t interfere without permission or it could backfire on you. If you put something on that wound and the birds condition deteriorates or ends up noticably worse, you may end up getting blamed. Be sure that if you are going to apply anything to those wounds that you run it by the owner first.

but no one cares)
only the owner can do that but I doubt he would, he might just be more inclined to buy a new one
I don´t think it is fair you constantly writing on the internet your opinion on how this person doesn´t care about their bird. Maybe they do love those birds but are just uneducated on good bird husbandry.

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
Remember, you really shouldn´t interfere without permission or it could backfire on you. If you put something on that wound and the birds condition deteriorates or ends up noticably worse, you may end up getting blamed. Be sure that if you are going to apply anything to those wounds that you run it by the owner first.

I don´t think it is fair you constantly writing on the internet your opinion on how this person doesn´t care about their bird. Maybe they do love those birds but are just uneducated on good bird husbandry.
But I don’t know. I told him that new and old don’t mix. I told him about Yeo’s foot condition and you know what he said. I told him about his poor diet that he was feeding the birds. I told him that the perches aren’t suitable as well and that birds do need showering (if done so correctly). I told him about pretty much everything BUT HE WON’T listen.
Let me rant here for a bit. I don’t know if he cares or not about those birds but he won’t listen to my opinion. Yes I am younger than him, but I do believe that I am the more, might I say, correct experience compared to his which goes somewhere along the lines of “Listen to me or else you will get hurt” . I’ve seen it. He was dominance over those birds who are just there suffering and I feel so useless.
If I don’t help Yeo. He won’t. I don’t know about you but I who has been there for a year already can be quite sure that he cares less. His finches are starving (I’m not sure but I know one of them has literally no feathers which could be old age I have no clue about finches and another one is just so skinny)
I know the Black Capped Lory he got maybe half a year or more ago is now chewing his feathers like Yeo and that Molly is now plucking.
I also know that the three macaws right next to Molly always fight and two of them have been scarred by each other and he just goes “They are only playing that’s fine”.
What kind of caring, or even responsible owner do you consider of him? I’ll have to admit that I am bias considering that Puff is involved in this as well but personally I seriously feel quite helpless when it comes to him and the hapless birds who are just suffering.
He might have good intentions. But the birds are suffering there and that’s a fact.
Rant over.

Last edited:

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
By new and old I mean new and old worlds

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
Another thing is what do I do if he doesn’t let me? Am I expected to watch Yeo die?
SPCA is useless I’ve tried it twice already and apparently (if you’ve seen my older SPCA rant posts) they think that bird in tethers is perfectly normal and fine and they couldn’t see any visible injuries blah blah blah I doubt they looked close enough.
I can’t bring them home. But I can make their life better, so I will.

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
Right now I have these questions

-Can you mist a bird while raining

-Anything else I can do?

And yes I assume that I will be asking the owner but my question now would be, what if he doesn’t let me? What if, you know, what if.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
But from what I’ve seen the bottom of his foot seems to be alright (at least months ago because that day I didn’t check the soles of his feet)
And yes he is on that perch along with EVERY single other bird there on a tether and a shizzty perch. 24/7. Let me emphasis 24/7.
I feel bad for the macaws close to Molly the most as Molly is an M2 and we all know new and old worlds’ do not mix. The owner refuses to listen. I have cayanne pepper (I have a whole birdy first aid kit in fact so that should be fine. I do not however, have coconut oil. I wonder if Vitamin E oil will do? @Love My Zons .
The Cayenne pepper will be very red/orange and noticeable. Vit E can make it stick too. I wish this Man would relinquish this bird to you! Is he willing to allow this bird to go to a Vet?

The knobs that ML is talking about are the joints in the foot. They really do not seem present on that one toe closest in the picture. More like swelling to that foot. The feet are not at all healthy, the dark tissue is scary. The big worry here is necrosis of the foot! If it turns black, that is just terrible.

Here are pictures of Hoosier's feet a few mins ago. It is normal for their feet to have flaky looking or scaly skin.

20201122_083920.jpg
You can see little curves down the sides of the toe.

Some Amazons have darker skin color then others. Yellow Napes do on their feet and ceres, a darket gray.

20201122_083933.jpg
Also top of the foot, large joint by thr leg shouldn't be all fat looking, you should be able to see that knuckle.

A flat perch may also help this guy.

Last edited: