• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Setup help needed for blind and disabled birds

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm really going to need some help figuring out the setup for the Fearless Four. Though I have some experience creating setups for birds with disabilities (aka Kamara), I've never had a blind bird before, and I'm at a bit of a loss.

What little I've found states that the enclosure should always be the same; no rotating toys or rearranging once the birds are settled. Will that be troublesome re: keeping Terre entertained, since he has his sight? How can I offer enrichment in ways that don't mess with the layout?

Ciel has a great deal of trouble with his balance, and Arbre likely will as well with no wings; is there a way that I can set up the cage so that they can navigate and follow their flock without having to climb the bars? Should I keep only platform perches to prevent them from falling, or will that cause damage to Soleil and Terre's feet?

Their cage will be a Critter Nation, one level.

I need every suggestion or idea you've got!

And...in case anyone needs the guide:

Soleil: blind
Ciel: blind, one leg
Terre: one wing
Arbre: blind, no wings, missing upper beak

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Oh boy, you have handful. Lots of platforms that well wrapped. Low perches also wrapped. Rocky was blind in one eye (cataract), food, treats and water dishes always in same places. I use to mark the cage bar with a vet tape wrap. Nothing hanging too easy to entangle. Watch for any birdy picky at another because it doesn't see well enough, little squabbles can turn into big boo boos cuz I can see you can't.
Remind me please what kind of birds?

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh boy, you have handful. Lots of platforms that well wrapped. Low perches also wrapped. Rocky was blind in one eye (cataract), food, treats and water dishes always in same places. I use to mark the cage bar with a vet tape wrap. Nothing hanging too easy to entangle. Watch for any birdy picky at another because it doesn't see well enough, little squabbles can turn into big boo boos cuz I can see you can't.
Remind me please what kind of birds?
Thank you for your ideas!! I'll be sure to stock up on platforms, vet wrap and safe fleece. :)

They're four little budgies.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Ok, a rope perch that is set up in straight line from end to end. It will give them birdy highway.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Soleil: blind
Ciel: blind, one leg
Terre: one wing
Arbre: blind, no wings, missing upper beak

The problem you have is you can´t really put platforms or ramps up because Arbre might fall off and has no wings to soften the fall.
Maybes stick to using the floor space and some super low and soft perches (use soft play as an idea, they create these play areas for super small kids that are safe, not high, nowhere for them to fall off etc).
If Terre is housed separate you could offer him some platforms to walk up.

I found this video and you may get some ideas.
The rope perch low down is a good idea.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award

The problem you have is you can´t really put platforms or ramps up because Arbre might fall off and has no wings to soften the fall.
Maybes stick to using the floor space and some super low and soft perches (use soft play as an idea, they create these play areas for super small kids that are safe, not high, nowhere for them to fall off etc).
If Terre is housed separate you could offer him some platforms to walk up.

The rope perch low down is a good idea.
Do you think maybe I could make platforms and ramps safe for Arbre by creating little railings to prevent falls?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Funny, I actually was thinking something similar, like PVC halfpipes or some other U shaped item. I don´t know where you could get the parts from, maybe buy pipes and cut them in half?
It´s just remembering, where do they go? If they lead up to some sort of platform you will need something there too to prevent falls.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
How are you coming along with ideas? Can you even function today? Sending warm energy to you.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
How are you coming along with ideas? Can you even function today? Sending warm energy to you.
I'm forcing myself to be strong and not fall to pieces, but it's hard. I was fearing for Arbre's life from the moment I first saw him, but I really thought he'd be okay once he started improving. I so wanted my little d'Artagnan to become the fourth member of the flock, and befriend little Terre. It's agony.

But he's not in pain anymore, and that's what is most important.

I'm going to keep going and make sure that the Musketeers are safe and warm and healthy. I'm so grateful for everyone's ideas and will be sure to make their home work for them.

Nighthawk0123

Strolling the yard
6501425413_e82e44245e.jpg
I've never had a blind bird before, and I'm at a bit of a loss.
Thanks for this thread - turns out one of my birds is also blind (from one eye).

Want to ask if this cage setup would be somewhat decent ^

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Want to ask if this cage setup would be somewhat decent ^
The bar spacing looks huge. Too big for a lovebird.
A good idea is to line the cage floor with some non pil fleece to soften any falls.

Nighthawk0123

Strolling the yard
A good idea is to line the cage floor with some non pil fleece to soften any falls.
I have already ordered some fleece - should be hopefully arriving in 3 days! Needed some anyway for the wire rack at the back. Seems to be doing fine really in her old cage but measures have to be taken.

The bar spacing looks huge. Too big for a lovebird.
She also has bumblefoot, talked to my vet and she told me to make sure the bar spacing is big (but not so big that the head gets through). Said this as when I first got Tweety, she was is in very rough shape and had developed a habit of sleeping on the sides of the bars. Now with the bumblefoot - it was very rough against her skin and her feet progressively got worse. So in my old cage, the sides she would sleep on would have a small piece of acrylic as to prevent her from sleeping there. So as I needed another cage for her disability, I conferred with my vet, and we came to the conclusion of slightly bigger bars. I will be monitoring her VERY carefully so there's no need to worry. I'll be keeping an eye on her :)

Hopefully as I soon as my emergency vet fund builds back up - I can buy her a proper big cage. And find a permanent solution to the sleeping.

On top of this, shall I put her and Jinx (her mate) in the same cage? He has no sign aggression and has actually been very helpful to her with maneuvering around the cage.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
My best advice is look at their needs:) Xena was six years old and blind when I adopted her, she was found outside so no history. I assumed she would be scared and would need the same setup always, with lots or ramps, platforms, perches close together, padding on the floor etc. Turns out she likes to fly between perches, thrives with loud sounds and upbeat music, gets to know a new setup really quickly etc. Totally not what I expected at all:)
I think thick/flat perches would be Nice for them, with Bells on the ends Maybe to warn them that it is the end of the perch? Some sturdy toys on the sides to grab when they lose balance helps Xena:)

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
My best advice is look at their needs:) Xena was six years old and blind when I adopted her, she was found outside so no history. I assumed she would be scared and would need the same setup always, with lots or ramps, platforms, perches close together, padding on the floor etc. Turns out she likes to fly between perches, thrives with loud sounds and upbeat music, gets to know a new setup really quickly etc. Totally not what I expected at all:)
I think thick/flat perches would be Nice for them, with Bells on the ends Maybe to warn them that it is the end of the perch? Some sturdy toys on the sides to grab when they lose balance helps Xena:)
That's super helpful, thank you!! :heart:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Why thick wooden platforms? Just curious. I have a wonderful thick, maybe 2 inches platform perch that came from TNT.