• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Septic system sulfur cleaner dangerous to birds?

Scarlet&Annie

Strolling the yard
My grandpa has a septic system and uses a cleaner from time to time to clean it out.
It smells very very strong of Sulfur.
The box says it's safe for all animals but I want to just double check on here with everyone as well.

Is there any issue for my bird and the smell?

Thanks!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Quite funny as we just opened a bottle of that stink a few days ago. Like ours it's probably enzymes. While enzymes should be completely safe that smell was nothing we wanted near our birds. I at first told my husband it would be fine and when he opened the jug and looked at me I knew it was bad. We waited until the birds went to bed and poured it down the closest drain running to our septic. ;) Two floors from the birdroom.

So, I don't really care if someone says the ingredients are safe. Pour it down a drain that your birds are far away from. :)

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Anything that has a strong smell should be a concern to be used around Birds. They have very delicate respiratory systems that are very different from ours and don't filter toxins out as well. I've also noticed that a lot of times when things say they're Animal Safe. It doesn't always necessarily mean it's bird safe. Can you maybe take them temporarily somewhere else while he does that and so that it gives time to air out the place?

Scarlet&Annie

Strolling the yard
Anything that has a strong smell should be a concern to be used around Birds. They have very delicate respiratory systems that are very different from ours and don't filter toxins out as well. I've also noticed that a lot of times when things say they're Animal Safe. It doesn't always necessarily mean it's bird safe. Can you maybe take them temporarily somewhere else while he does that and so that it gives time to air out the place?

Not really.
It's a one level house and it's cold outside with snow so all I can mostly do is just shut the door right now.
She's just been in my room this whole time with the door shut, she seems to be just fine.

I would take her to my moms for a bit but I'm worried about it being too cold when I take her out to the car even with the blanket around the travel cage.

Scarlet&Annie

Strolling the yard
Quite funny as we just opened a bottle of that stink a few days ago. Like ours it's probably enzymes. While enzymes should be completely safe that smell was nothing we wanted near our birds. I at first told my husband it would be fine and when he opened the jug and looked at me I knew it was bad. We waited until the birds went to bed and poured it down the closest drain running to our septic. ;) Two floors from the birdroom.

So, I don't really care if someone says the ingredients are safe. Pour it down a drain that your birds are far away from. :)
It's a very small house so I'm just a few rooms away but she seems to be just fine.
Being the usual active in her cage.
Is she fine?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
The precautions would be to shut every door in between the smell and birds and put a towel underneath the door. In the room that the birds are in you would want a fan pulling air into the room not out.

Scarlet&Annie

Strolling the yard
The precautions would be to shut every door in between the smell and birds and put a towel underneath the door. In the room that the birds are in you would want a fan pulling air into the room not out.
I really can't do any of that aside from shut my own room door.
I could take her to my moms for a bit but worried she would be too cold from the car to the house even if the cage is wrapped in a blanket.

Scarlet&Annie

Strolling the yard
Update - The smell is pretty much gone.
I don't smell it anymore so am I good?