• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

September 2022 Mayor of the Avenue... SumitaSinh

Status
Not open for further replies.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I am happy to announce that SumitaSinh is September's Mayor of the Month.
I enjoyed reading your interview, and am sure that everyone else will as well!

1. What kind of birds do you have (age, species and names)?

My flock: Inca (orange winged Amazon, age unknown), Chirik, Chokmoki (budgie, age 2 years. They are siblings), Chaandu and Cheesecake (budgie, age uncertain, undergoing their first molt)

2. What got you interested in birds?

I always loved birds as companion. We had indian ringneck parrots as our family pets, but I never liked caging a wild bird. In my busy medical profession, I always felt the need for a pet. One day, I found an article where I read about captive breeding of exotic birds and their out of cage time. It was a shift of paradigm. I started with adopting my first budgie Chanchu (RIP).

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

My birdies are the source of laughter and happiness in our family. The constant chattering of budgies have the most soothing effect on nerves. And whenever you feel stressed out, my Inca is there with his antics.

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

If anything I have learned from my flock, it is unconditional love. My Amazon is always there to shower me with his love and trust.

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

I will always remember that day, when my first budgie Chanchu accepted treat from me, sitting on my palm. He was not a tame bird, but when I gained his trust, that feeling was awesome!

6. Where is your birds main living area?

My birds' cages are at living area. Inca's cage is placed between the living space and kitchen. But during their out of cage time, they all spend it in my bedroom.

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

In my parronting period, we changed our accomodations twice. So, I couldn't do any alteration other than making the living area bird- friendly. We're planning for some modifications in our permanent house.

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

I am trying to form a NGO for public awareness about bird parenting. Our another target is saving alexandrine parrots from bird traders.

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

Not an item, but i would love to have an outside setting like @Fuzzy .

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

A hahns macaw, I am desperately searching for one. But mini macaws are very difficult to find out in my part of India. Mini macaws are awesome, big birds in small size! The hahns are especially very charming and lovable.

11. Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.

My day starts at 6am with budgie boys' chatter. Inca is usually awake, but he's a good boy and doesn't make any noise till I remove his cage cover. I change the papers, food and water bowls before going to work. All the time my flock keeps interacting with me. My husband comes back before me in afternoon. He keeps the boys entertained. At evening we have a quality family time with the flock (Inca is the main entertainer, of course). Budgie gang usually remains busy with themselves, only Chirik is tame, rest others are hand shy. So, we just watch them playing and flying around. After 9 pm, Inca starts feeling sleepy, so we call it a day. But budgie boys have unlimited energy source!! They continue with their conversation till all the lights off. Their constant stream of chatter has a soothing effect on my nerves. :heart: :heart:

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

I perceived that each bird is an individual. Even a small budgie has its free will and we should always respect that. As I have already mentioned, the goal of our NGO is to make people aware of this fact.

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

One incident from my childhood still haunts me. There was an Indian ringneck in our family. We didn't know how to take care of feathered pets, so she was always cage bound. I couldn't stand that. One day, I opened the door of the cage and freed her. She didn't want to go, but I shooed her away. Now I realize that I shouldn't have done that. Though I know, that she survived. There are plenty of food and wild ringnecks in our locality. But still it was a very risky thing to do. If I knew better, I could have handled her in right way.

14. What other hobbies do you have?

My hobby is reading. I am a book worm, always searching for materials to read. Nowadays, a major portion of my study is related to birds. :lol:

15. Anything else you would like to share?

I would like to thank everyone in this forum for supporting me, guiding me and helping me when I need it. Love to all birdies and bird parents. :heart::heart:

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
:cheer: :congrats5::cheer:@SumitaSinh!!!! Very well deserved. Loved reading about your experience with parrots and your aim to save Alexandrines from bird traders. :heart: What lovely names your flock have. Hope you get your Hahns someday!

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Congratulations and I'd love to hear about the NGO when details emerge!

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
:congrats5: Ir was a pleasure reading about your birds. Hopefully you will find your Hahns Macaw you are wanting. :gcc3::illigers:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Congratulations

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran