• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

September 2021 Mayor of the Avenue... Dartman

Status
Not open for further replies.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I am happy to announce that Dartman is September's Mayor of the Month.
I enjoyed reading your interview, and am sure that everyone else will as well!

1. What kind of birds do you have (age, species and names)?

Dobby, Maxi Pionus 7 or 8 I think. Pippen Yellow sided Green cheek Conure, no clue how old but I'd guess young. Also a couple of rescues that everyone here probably knows about I picked up very recently. One is a Blue crowned Conure, probably over 20, and the Other is a Sun Conure I think, also probably over 20 who will probably get rehomed once their situation is settled.

2. What got you interested in birds?

I've always been fascinated with birds and we had budgies as young kids and raised many rescued wild baby birds, pigeons,and critters in general.

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

Joy and patience, and being accepted by a wild jungle creature that thinks I'm trustworthy and a friend they actually want to be around.

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

Patience, giving them the latitude to be who they are and working out a understanding with each other. Taking a bite to keep someone else from getting bit.

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

So many wonderful and sad memories but maybe the time we took Nerd Bird, my first Maxi Pionus to the vet. She reached in and he started to bite her but I grabbed him instead and he tore me up good because he was scared. She said don't let him bite you, I said he's my bird, he's allowed to bite me, he's not allowed to bite you.

6. Where is your birds main living area?

Dobby lives on the vinyl covered entry way to what would be the front door if we actually used it for such. Pippen right now stays either in the computer room or the dining room next to the table so she can be part of the flock.
The other two are to be determined and are just in safe spots in the main living areas for now depending on how it works out.

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

Mainly we found out where Dobby likes to hang out and cover them with blankets and towels so he can't destroy the furniture and have covered some of the wall edges and like that with plastic corner guards and cardboard appliance shipping protectors.

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

Not really, I mostly hang out here and was active on Jans board for Pionus before it shut down and we came here.

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

I would love to have a dedicated aviary that is safe for Dobby and the growing crew, or maybe a bird room all to itself.

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

I have my dream bird. I got Nerd and his brother Ferd in 79 when nobody knew what they were and they were so gentle and quiet I had to have them. Ferd left us early on and Nerd and I bonded and were best buds for 31 years so I always have a Maxi in my life, right now that is Dobby.

11. Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.

We get home and decompress for a while, then we release the hound and Dobby gets to hang out, get scritches, and beg for treats till bed time. Pippen is new so she gets out in the computer room or before Dobby in the main area and we watch over her to make sure the two of them don't have a bad day.

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

Every bird is their own soul and just because it's the same bird as the one you had before it's not going to be exactly the same personality and you just have to work it out with each other till you reach a understanding and happy routine together.
Oh yeah, birds bite:cool: Lurch taught me that one real quick.

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

Feed better foods then what we started out with in the old days of having a parrot. Better, bigger, cages that are easy to deal with, change out food bowls without having to reach inside, and safer doors that don't try to hurt your feathered friend.
More proactive vet care as when I started as long as the bird seemed fine all was right with the world.

14. What other hobbies do you have?

EVERYTHING...I love cars, computers, A/V gear, electronics in general, and I fix everything we own if possible.

15. Anything else you would like to share?

Be careful with your feathered friend as they can be hurt or escape in a moments notice so plan ahead and make sure you look around and don't just figure everything's fine and pop open the front door if your buddy is out.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
:congrats5:

I enjoyed reading your interview:)

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Congrats!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congratulations! I enjoyed reading your interview.

BirdG1rl

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mara M.M
I really enjoyed reading your interview! A worthy choice!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Very well deserved!!

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations, Dartman! I really enjoyed your interview :reading:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Congratulations!!! :starshower: Great interview Terry, very well deserved Mayor :bliss:

Status
Not open for further replies.