• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

September 2020 Mayor of the Avenue... MiniMacaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I am happy to announce that Lisa is September's Mayor of the Month.
I enjoyed reading your interview, and am sure that everyone else will as well!

1. What kind of birds do you have (age, species and names)?

Bowser, 3 year old Catablu Macaw
Seamus, 12 year old Military Macaw
Cactus, 1 year old Plumhead Parakeet
Gemma, 3 year old Parrotlet
Fred, 14 year old Severe Macaw
Ethel, 4 year old Severe Macaw
Ice, Mary, Lloyd and Harry, Budgies of various ages.

2. What got you interested in birds?

I grew up in a household with birds of various sizes and speices, but I never really had one as an adult until after I had my kids. We got the budgies and soon after Fred, and it was just love ever since.

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

They keep me on my toes and just bring so much happiness and fun to each day. (Even when they're cranky green dinosaurs who are tired of their medicine.)

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

I've learned that there's still so much we have to learn about birds. Their capacity to understand us and the emotions they feel are so vast. They're these little feathered beings that deserve care and love and kindness and not to be treated as disposable or starter pets.

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

After my Dad passed, I was crying and just feeling deeply sad. Bowser, who does not like to be touched very much, came over to me and put his head down. I pressed kisses to his head and just cried and he softly murmered little sweet sounds while staying perfectly still and letting me get all the emotions out. It was obvious he understood what I was feeling and I'll never forget that moment. It reminds me all the time that they understand so much more than we sometimes give them credit for.

6. Where is your birds main living area?

All over the house. The budgies share my daughter's room. Seamus is in my room since I need to keep a close eye on him. Bowser, Fred, and Ethel have an entire room that connects to our living room with an open walkway. Gemma and Cactus are in our guest room since they prefer the quiet life.

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

Yes. We have dogs so we have a system of gates up all over the house. We also added doors where there weren't any so that we could securely let the birds out to fly around without worrying about a dog getting too close.

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

Just AA

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

A bigger closet lol. I tell my husband all the time if we ever move I want a home with an extra closet so I can better store all of their toys and supplies.

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

I think I have my dream birds already. In a different world where I didn't already have a full house, I'd like a little orange canary. Random lol, but I think they're adorable.

11. Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.

Busy lol. I get up with the sun and change Seamus's water dish and get his fresh breakfast and medications ready. Then I go outside and feed/water the chickens, ducks and turkey. After farm work, I come back in and change all the other birds water bowls and get them their fresh breakfasts (since they all sleep in). Then I take my dogs on a long walk before it's too terribly hot. When I get back from the walk, it's time to wake the kids up and start their distance learning classes. During school time, I'll let various birds out at different times to get flight time and play time in. Lunch time means the kids get their food and the birds eat whatever I'm eating lol. I eat a pretty much whole food diet, so if I'm having sweet potato and oats or berries and veggies, that's what the birds will ask for. Night time means another walk for the dogs, a second round of farm work, then all birds put back into their aviaries/cages and dinner time. Bowser gets tea time with me where we eat drink our chamomile tea together. Seamus gets his medicine with whatever special treat he's feeling like that night (sometimes it's nuts, sometimes berries). Then it's lights out and everyone goes to sleep. Luckily, all of my birds sleep very well and all of them stay asleep until I wake them with breakfast. I've heard of birds that start calling in the am or wake their families up early, but my whole household would all sleep in until noon if I let them lol.

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

I've learned that each bird is an individual that will challenge us in so many ways and by doing so enrich our lives.

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

I don't think I'd do anything differently. Almost every bird I have now was a rescue that came my way and while I didn't exactly plan for them, I'm grateful we found eachother.

14. What other hobbies do you have?

I'm a huge outdoor fan. I love to go hiking in the desert at night during the summer and during the day during cooler months. I go all around the state to different lakes and caverns when I can. I've seen mountain lions, javelina, mexican grey wolves, coyotes, eagles, skunks, racoons and a lot of other wildlife. I'm still hoping to see a live badger in the wild one day lol.

15. Anything else you would like to share?

Thank you to everyone on AA who is always so willing to share their knowledge and experiences. You've all helped me through some tough times and I know my birds are better off too with all the advice I've gotten from here.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:congrats5:

Well deserved and your answers were very interesting. (I actually didn't realize you had that many birds! :) )

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Finally!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Congratulations Lisa! Very well deserved :loveshower:

Such a special moment you had there with Bowser, birds understand so much more than we think :)

PS, what happened to the lovebird? Do you still have her?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:congrats5:
What a wonderful interview!
Aww, Bowser!:heart:

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Fantastic!!! Congrats!!! :cheer:

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
It was fantastic to learn more about your birds!

I am especially excited to see you also have a plumhead. Pi has a lot of questions for Cactus :hehepink: :hug8: :strhng:

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Thank you everyone! :heart2:

@Zara I do still have her. :) She’s still technically a foster right now so I didn’t add her to the list, but she’s definitely a part of the family (even if temporarily), so I should have. Her and Cactus are still best friends.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
It was fantastic to learn more about your birds!

I am especially excited to see you also have a plumhead. Pi has a lot of questions for Cactus :hehepink: :hug8: :strhng:
I don’t know many people with a plumhead so Cactus will have questions for Pi too. :rofl::heart: 23938783-8CCC-49DE-8308-75ED0865C0F8.jpeg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
:congrats5: Lisa. Such a perfect choice!!

I really loved reading your interview and I honestly cried at how sweet Bowser was when you most needed him :heart:

I must admit that I also think we need more pics of all your flock :D

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I don’t know many people with a plumhead so Cactus will have questions for Pi too. :rofl::heart:
:)

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Congrats Lisa!

Status
Not open for further replies.