• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures September 2017 Feathered Estates Highlight - 11bryces

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
September 2017 Feathered Estates Highlight
:starshower::starshower::starshower:
I am very pleased to announce this month's showcased member

@11bryces (Brice)

:congratsbig:
Setups for small spaces used by multiple birds
1~ What kind of birds do you have and how many birds did you design your setup for?
I currently have 2 birds:
1 baby plum headed parakeet named Plume
Plume1.jpg
Plume2.JPG
1 baby female superb parrot named Valkiry
Valkiry1.JPG
Valkiry2.JPG
Our setup is in progress and we will expand it since we are getting another bird in a few months.

2~ Is your setup for a handicapped bird?
No it isn't but it is possible to make it "handicapped friendly".

3~ Are there any budgeting tips you discovered while doing your setup?
Toilet paper rolls and treated natural branches selected from wild bird-safe trees are big time winners! I do have a bunch of rope perches and stuff but I gotta say that multi natural branches hand picked by us parronts are just the best! And about every kind of paper/cardboard, clean and without ink can make the most wonderful toys with a little imagination and creativity! Also, you don't have to go to pet stores to buy pet related stuff, any craft and house building store can hide treasures! Last week in a garden/house store, rope that you can buy the quantity you like for a ridiculous price! (1 Euro for 1 meter!) and very good quality!
Cage1.jpg
Cage2.jpg

4~ Is your setup changeable or stationary and do you add or make changes continually or do things stay primarily as is?
My setup is changeable and actually changes often because I regularly add stuff to it!!! :) It will expand and get more and more interesting but unfortunately as I'm getting married, I'm a bit short on savings to buy new play stands and java trees etc...
happy hut.jpg

5~ Where did you find your materials if you made it yourself or where did you purchase the setup and do you have favorite places to purchase safe toys and/or supplies that you find reliable?
French people are not well educated about exotic pets that includes rodents, rabbits, reptiles, birds etc... In most pet stores you can find everything you dream of for dogs and cats but very limited choice as for the other kinds of pets and it's the worst for birds!
Most pet store employees don't even know that pellets exist for birds because you can rarely find anything else than seeds in pet stores, and don't even ask them for an atom or a boing because they don't even know what it is....
AND I allow myself to be critical about French pet stores because I am French and I have traveled enough to see that we are far from being good at providing bird supplies to French bird owners!
Anyway all that to say that most of my stuff is either handmade or they are bought online from Amazon.fr, Zoomalia.fr, Zooplus.fr and colonny_perroquet.fr. Unfortunately I haven't made any orders from vendors like Things for Wings or Oliver's Garden because it's sooooo expensive as for the shipping part!!! I did order once from TLA and I had to pay 80 Euros only for shipping and the order was under $200.... So when I make another order from U.S or Canadian vendors I'll probably do it for Christmas!!!!
As for the toy making supplies I usually go to craft stores or art stores but it is still not easy to find; the best still is online.
If shipping costs weren't so high I would make orders so often!
2 birds in cage.jpg

6~ Do you have a favorite item that you bought for your setup?
My big cork wood platform!!!! The birds absolutely adore it and I find it very pretty!
Cork1.JPG
Cork2.JPG

7~ If you made any DIY toys what is your bird(s) favorite and were there any failures?
To be honest with the shop, the other pets, trying to make time for everybody and everything I don't have time to make toys these past few weeks so I do give them stuff to play with and shred but I'll get back into serious toy making by October.

8~ Did you incorporate into your setup any foraging toys and how did your bird(s) take to them and was age or inactivity a factor?
I have tried many foraging toys and also made a few but my birds aren't very interested in foraging (YET !!!)

9~ What difficulties did you encounter, if any, and how did you remedy them?
Well, I have a cat and two dogs so I have to be careful because I don't know what would happen if I leave them alone with the birds. Another is the fact that I do not have any air conditioning system at home as it is literally like an oven if I don't open the windows most of the day, so it is challenging to let the birds out and close the windows since it is so hot right now. My remedy is that I just ordered cat nets especially made to prevent cats from escaping apartment windows so I will put them as soon as I get my order!

10~ What do you like least about your setup (if anything)?
The fact that the owner of my apartment doesn't want me to make any holes on the walls & ceiling so I really don't like the fact that except buying more play stands and java trees I can't really do anything else, can I?
java.jpg

11~ What do you like most about your setup?
The fact that since there are no boings, rope perches, nets and other stuff attached to the wall or ceiling and connected to the cage, I can move the cage wherever I want like outside in the morning for fresh breeze and a little sun, or when I'm cleaning the house or even when I have too many people over!
bird on cage.JPG

12~ Did your bird(s) take to the setup right away or did they approach it tentatively needing time to adjust and do you feel their age was a factor?
I got my birds as babies that just settled on solid food, but even though they are curious they were at first very very scared of the java tree and some of the toys because the breeder had none of those!
2birds on cage.JPG

13~ Any future renovations planned?
When I buy the apartment I'm going to add ceiling rope perches and boings and stuff all over the house!!!!!!!!!!!! As for right now I'm planning on renovating the baby tortoise park in a more bird friendly way!
TortoisePark1.JPG
TortoisePark2.JPG

Last edited:

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:congratualtions:
I enjoyed reading about your set up.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Congrats!

EllaMay

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
Congrats! :congratualtions:

KimKim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Cute babies :swoon: and nice pics of your set up!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Thank you for showing us your setup.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Great setup! I'm sorry it's hard find stuff :( That said you'll done a wonderful job with making do. I love the cork platform too and all your different perches :)