• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

September 2015 Feathered Estates Highlight - Rockybird

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
September 2015 Feathered Estates Highlight
:starshower1::starshower1::starshower1:
Rockybird

I am very pleased to announce this month's showcased member Rockybird.

1~ What kind of birds do you have and how many birds did you design your setup for?

-I have 5 birds total: Rocky-14 yr old maroon belly conure, Zeek-13 year old caique, Scout-4 year old (rehome) nanday conure, 2 parakeets: Pip (found outside) and Sky (Pip's best buddy).

2~ Is your setup for a handicapped bird?
-No.

3~ Are there any budgeting tips you discovered while doing your setup?
-Keep an eye on ebay and craigslist. I got some amazing deals this way!

4~ Is your setup changeable or stationary and do you add or make changes continually or do things stay primarily as is?
-My setup consists of multiple bird areas around the house for the parrots. I work a lot of hours, so when I am home I try to maximize their out of cage time by incorporating them into my activities about the house. To accomplish this, I move them around the house to different areas with me- kitchen, dining room, bedroom, bathroom, living room.

- The setup is pretty much stationary. I may be moving the birds to a different bird room in the near future, though.

-Their current primary place of residence is the bird room, with their three Expandable Habitats cages. Each cage is arranged so the birds get a view out the window:

The bird room has two doorways, in addition to a glass slider looking outside. I leave these doors open so they have views into the dining area/great room and pool also:

I put bird themed items around the room. Nothing is hung up, as I may be moving to the birds to a different room at some point:

The parakeets have their own double fight cage. Half of it is covered to protect them from the sun:

The parakeets have views out into the back yard and patio:

In the dining area, the parrots each have a cage with a playtop to eat on top of. We all eat together:

In the kitchen, each parrot has a spot. The caique and maroon belly conure each get a counter or island. Scout is not comfortable on hard surfaces, so I roll her dining cage to the kitchen. I usually play music and they have fun getting into things while I make dinner or lunch and get their food ready for the next day. They play, dance, and get into everthing. They do make a mess, but it is easy to clean and they really love this time:

Getting into the peanut butter, while I make lunch:

Eating a pellet while I make dinner:

Zeek playing on the island. He loves chasing my hand while I clean the counters:

Rocky playing while I work in the kitchen:

When I am home relaxing, Scout and Zeek each have a chair that they think is their own.

Scout on her chair:

Zeek gets rocked at night in his chair:

-They each also have a spot in the bathroom to hang out while I get ready for work or bed.

- Each bird also has a night cage. Scout's night cage:

5~ Where did you find your materials if you made it yourself or where did you purchase the setup and do you have favorite places to purchase safe toys and/or supplies that you find reliable?

- Before I discovered AA, I bought their toys at bird shops. After reading about all the fantastic vendors on AA, I realized that my birds were missing out. When I bought their new EH cages two years ago, I decided to start over with new toys and perches and made large purchases from Igottawoody and Oliver's Garden for the new cages:

-They still have the perches and a lot of the toys. But the balsa toys are all gone... :)

- I bought the large stainless steel cages from Explandable Habitats. I bought the dining cages on craigslist and ebay (Animal Environments ss cages and older Avian Adventures ss cage). I bought the HQ double flight cage for the parakeets from Birdcomfort.com.

- I am not a handy person so I make only simple bird toys. My favorite vendors are Igottawoodybirdtoys, Oliver's Garden, Josiennbb's wood pieces, Mysafebirdtoys and Birds and Nerds. I would like to try Thing for Wings also. The parakeets love playing with Activitoys. I would like to order some toys from Things for Wings also.

Sout chewing on Josienbb's wood:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Continued....

Parakeets with a variety of toys and perches:

Scout loved her boing so much, I bought her a second one:

Rocky with Oliver's Garden boing and some home made toys:

Lots of toys and perches of different materials:

Zeek's cage:

Rocky's cage:

6~ Do you have a favorite item that you bought for your setup?

I really like the EH cages.

7~ If you made any DIY toys what is your bird(s) favorite and were there any failures?

-My parakeets love the DIY toys from Bird Nerd. They go right through the balsa. Unfortunately, building bird toys is not a talent of mine and my toys always look a little grotesque.

8~ Did you incorporate into your setup any foraging toys and how did your bird(s) take to them and was age or inactivity a factor?

-My caique has several foraging toys. One of them was so complicated to open, that he figured it out before I did! I hide treats in them and about his cage before I go to work. He is 13 years old and seems to be getting more active every year, so this is not a factor. The two conures do not seem so interested in foraging.

9~ What difficulties did you encounter, if any, and how did you remedy them?

Assembling the huge EH cages alone was difficult! It took a lot of sweat and ingenuity to get the tops on.

10~ What do you like least about your set up (if anything)?

-I wish it were farther away from the bedroom, as my caique has a habit of calling for me when I nap. I also wish I had more windows.

11~ What do you like most about your setup?

-I love that I can have the birds out of their cages with me. Moving them around the house adds some diversity to their days.

12~ Did your bird(s) take to the setup right away or did they approach it tentatively needing time to adjust anddo you feel their age was a factor?

-They took to it right away. Rocky and Zeek wanted in the cages before they were even assembled. Scout went right in her new EH cage, without a problem. The parakeets immediately took to their new cage also.

Rocky and Zeek exploring Scout's new cage before it is done:

13~ Any future renovations planned?

-Yes, I may be doing a master addition soon. If I do, the parrots will move into my current bedroom, which is 24 feet long. They will all have lots of window space to look out of.​

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Thank you for sharing this with us! Your setup is truly amazing, and I am sure that many people will take an idea from your setup to add to their setup.

Matt

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I love the light and windows and those amazing cages! Plus most adorable birdies. :heart::heart::heart:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great setup. Very lucky birds! The EH cages are beautiful but, sadly, too much $$$ for me. However, the workmanship and quality is obviously worth the price.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@rockybird What brand of cages are the ones in the 11th picture down from the top? Are those EH cages, too? They sort of looked like Featherlands.

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thank you so much everyone!!! :) :) :) Your comments really mean a lot to me.

@iamwhoiam Thanks!

The two dome cages are Animal Environments cages. They are too small to keep the parrots in and the spacing is too wide. I just use the playtops for them to eat on top of. I bought them on craigslist. The cage Scout is on is an older Avian Adventures cage that I bought on ebay. Honestly, I love the EH cages, but part of the reason I bought them was because of the lack of commercially available small spaced large cages. It seems that more are coming available now, which is great.

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Yes, they are spoiled! But I love it! Happy, healthy, beautiful birds!

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow! I really love all those fantastic pictures :dance55: Your birds are so lucky to have so many play/hangout areas :feeldance2:And your home is totes amazing :faint: The windows are everywhere! :omg: I really loved the pic of the toys piled high :p Good times :dance4:Your birds are beautiful :xflove:

:Congratwav:

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
Love your set up. Lucky flock.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you so much everyone!!! :) :) :) Your comments really mean a lot to me.

@iamwhoiam Thanks!

The two dome cages are Animal Environments cages. They are too small to keep the parrots in and the spacing is too wide. I just use the playtops for them to eat on top of. I bought them on craigslist. The cage Scout is on is an older Avian Adventures cage that I bought on ebay. Honestly, I love the EH cages, but part of the reason I bought them was because of the lack of commercially available small spaced large cages. It seems that more are coming available now, which is great.
I like the AE design and agree w/ you re: the bar spacing. I wish that AA still made stainless steel cages. I like their design a lot. The EH cages are beautiful but, unfortunately, out of my price range.

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Your setup is amazing! I also love your house.

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
You guys are the best!!! Thank you so much for the compliments on the set up and the house! :) :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.