• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

September 2014 Mayor of the Avenue..... JosienBB!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I am so delighted to announce JosienBB as September's Mayor of the Avenue.
I loved your interview and enjoyed getting to know you a little better!

1. What kind of birds do you have (age, species and names)?

Josie: green cheek conure, 2 years old
BB: black capped conure, 2 years old
Target: hawkhead parrot, 15 years old
Ophelia: painted conure, 1 year old

2. What got you interested in birds?

I’ve always been fascinated with dinosaurs, and having taken a palaeontology university course that focused on the dinosaur ancestry of birds, I knew I needed a birdie (or a couple!) in my life!

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

I don’t mean to sound melodramatic, but at several points in time, they provided me a reason to continue on. I’ve been struggling with severe depression for quite a few years, and knowing that someone depended on me kept me going. Keeping myself occupied with the birds also keeps unwanted thoughts at bay. And of course, they make me smile and give me a lot of happiness :)

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

That I’m a lot more patient than I give myself credit for, haha! As much as I love every one of my birds, they can definitely get on one’s nerves at times! The mess, the screaming, the endless cleaning, the sheer naughtiness... I used to think I’ll never have kids because I can’t handle them, but now? Bring’em on! :D

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

When Target first came home, she was terrified of everything and everyone. The situation was exacerbated by an injury to her eye that she had sustained at her previous home. This resulted in a Sunday trip to the emergency vet 1.5 hours away, the day after we brought her home! Then I had to force medicine and eyedrops onto her for two weeks -- I thought she’d never forgive me! But then one night, she started singing to herself and crawled over to me, wanting to play! It still took her several months to completely trust me, but that first time she came to me was extremely rewarding and will stay with me always.

6. Where is your birds main living area?

In the living/dining room. That’s where their cages and playgyms are, at least – the birdies have their own ideas and pretty much rule the whole house.

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

I installed a door separating the kitchen and the dining room because Josie kept on flying into the kitchen while we were cooking – so dangerous! I had hardwood floors installed for easier poop-cleanup, and also removed a lot of furniture from the living room to accomodate the birdies’ massive cages!

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

Just AA :) If there were any reputable rescues near me, though, I'd love to volunteer at one!

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

Large custom stainless steel cages (preferably from Northwest Cages), with small bar spacing!

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

My dream birds were a painted conure and a hawkhead parrot, both of which I have now. I wouldn’t say no to a blue-throated conure though, if I had the space :)

11. Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.

I wake up, wait until 9:30am to wake the birdies up (otherwise Josie and BB get really angry! They’re not morning birdies at all!). Target usually likes to sulk in her cage (haha!) until past noon, so the little guys come out first. Josie and BB are good about eating outside the cage, so I let them out right away, then let Ophelia out after she’s eaten her breakfast. Activities the Three Stooges enjoy include racing and screaming around the house, chewing up toys, and getting into trouble :) Then I let Target out an hour or two, before I go out. When I come back, I let the three monkeys out again, before my mother comes home. When she’s home, she lets Target out (because she plays favourites! Haha). Everybirdie is back in their cages by 9pm, they have their nighttime snack (usually apple, AO birdie bread, or nutriberries) while I clean up their cages and the general mess. Then they go to sleep. This schedule varies at times, but usually, if there’s someone in the house, a birdie will be out of their cage. I never let all of them out at the same time, though – Target hates the little ones, so I have to rotate.

I imagine this routine will change a little when I return to school, though.

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

Be patient! Like I said above, I’ve never considered myself a patient person. But birds absolutely cannot be rushed into anything, and any progress can takes months, even years. You also have to be prepared to take the bad with the good – no one, bird included, is perfect, but we love them all the more for their faults.

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

I would’ve gotten my birdies large cages right off the bat! Josie was an impulse purchase, and I should have done a lot more research before I brought her home. Petstores will tell you anything to make a buck, and the first cage I got Josie I now wouldn’t even deem suitable for a finch. Josie and I are also extremely lucky everything worked out, as impulse purchases often don’t. I would also adopt an adult bird rather than a baby bird if possible, as there are many needing homes.

14. What other hobbies do you have?

I’m a hardcore academic and like everything to do with learning. I also enjoy reading, traveling, makeup, history, art, rollercoasters, and shopping! I collect antique books as well.

15. Anything else you would like to share?

Not that I can think of! Thanks for listening! :)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:highfive: Congrats Josie!

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:goodjob:

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
:) :highfive: Congrats...

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations! I enjoyed the interview!

Matt

bicmeister

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Bichlien
congratulations! :congratualtions:
i think dinos are marvelous too and the fact that our birdies are descended from them is really neat!

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
:congrats5: Angela! :highfive: :dance4: :dance5: Great interview!

Blancaej

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Blanca
:dance4: :dance4: Congratulations! Great interview!

VictoriaVague

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
:congrats5:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Congratulations! Enjoyed the interview! :)

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
:congrats3:

Nice interview! I enjoyed getting to know you a little better.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Congrats! Loved the interview.

southernbirds

Rollerblading along the road
Great interview. Target is gorgeous! Congratulations.

Status
Not open for further replies.