• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

September 2012 Feathered Estates Highlight (CKJ / Cindy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I am very happy to announce CKJ (Cindy) for our Sept 2012 featured Feathered Estates Highlight! Cindy's theme is Multi-Room Setups for Medium Birds and she's done a marvelous job designing happy places for Pico to stay busy and motivated.
:starshower::leslieatwork::loveshower:

1~ What kind of birds do you have and how many birds did you design your setup for?
I have a 5 year old White Bellied Caique named Pico, and a 2 year old Budgie named
Bindi.(I rescued Bindi a year ago and still in the process of taming. She's not frighten
of my hands and will step up. Just not able to let her out to play yet.)

2~ Is your setup for a handicapped bird?
No, but would if needed to be.

3~ Are there any budgeting tips you discovered while doing your setup?
Garage Sales, Michaels, Hobby Lobby, & Dollar Stores are the place to go for items to
use in making play tops and buying toy parts. My dad made the play top in the
computer room using a TV tray. A friend gave me the tree parts and I found another
limb in my yard for the play tree stand which were cleaned & disinfected with bleach
before letting Pico on it. I found baby toys (like new) at garage sales one being Pico's
favorite. And, of course, I shop Avian Avenue's Sidewalk Sale. Also, items around the
house can make great activity toys like a kleenex box, egg carton, straws, plastic lids -
which Pico like to chew on all.

4~ Is your setup changeable or stationary and do you add or make changes continually or do things stay primarily as is?

Pico's day cage with playtop and the bathroom bay window are the only stationary ones:

Day Cage & Play Top.jpg

Day Cage & Play Top-2.jpg

Bath Area Close Up.JPG

Bath Window Play Area.JPG

The play top in the computer room, play top & perch at front glass door, and the play tree stand are all movable. I do change out toys in both cages on a regular basis in all play areas:

Computer Room Playtop2.JPG

Perch & Playstand at Front Glass Door.JPG

Tree Stand.JPG

Tree Stand Up Close.JPG

5~ Where did you find your materials if you made it yourself or where did you purchase the setup and do you have favorite places to purchase safe toys and/or supplies that you find reliable?
Garage Sales, Michael's, Hobby Lobby,Dollar Stores, and the dollar area in Target along with AA vendors for toys and toy parts.

6~ Do you have a favorite item that you bought for your setup?
I have several favorite items - one being a child's toy I bought at a garage sale along with the Orbit and Jolly Ball.

Jolly Ball.JPG

Orbit-1.JPG

7~ If you made any DIY toys what is your bird(s) favorite and were there any failures?
Pico (and Bindi's) favorite hanging toys that I make have balsa wood, beads, and a bell.
Majority of the foot toys I make for Pico, she loves. Failures - A couple of hanging
toys that Pico didn't like along with a woven mat that I spent time putting small toys on
it which is still sitting in the toy box. I still offer the mat to her, but she doesn't like
it. Maybe one she will.

8~ Did you incorporate into your setup any foraging toys and how did your bird(s) take to them and was age or inactivity a factor?
Pico is not a good forager, but is learning. I have a little wooded pot with top that I put a treat in along with a basket with shredded color paper that I hide treats in. The basket is her favorite! I also wrap treats in paper and put them in toys in her cage. I just recently started hiding an almond or walnut chip in a dried corn husk tied at each end. This one took her a while to figure out. I had to show her
that I was hiding something good in it. I think age is a factor as far as Pico is concerned. As she has matured, she has learned to forage better.

9~ What difficulties did you encounter, if any, and how did you remedy them?
Difficulties in creating the play areas was not being able to hang something from the ceiling.

10~ What do you like least about your set up (if anything)?
I would love to have a designated bird room to hang toys, etc.from the ceiling and decorate it just for the birds.

11~ What do you like most about your setup?
I'm able to move Pico around the house from room to room with me where she has a place to play and I can still keep an eye on her.

12~ Did your bird(s) take to the setup right away or did they approach it tentatively needing time to adjust and do you feel their age was a factor?
Pico took to all her play areas very
quickly except the tree stand which she is gradually getting use to.

13~ Any future renovations planned?
I'd like to get a larger net and some more hanging toys.

Last edited:

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Congrats, nice interview!
Pictures weren't working for me though..

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations! I enjoyed reading about your setup!

Matt

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Congrats! Agree, picture fix please.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
sounds wonderful..congratulations.....the pictures dont work tho!!!!! I wann asee them..I wanna see them!!!!!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Guess we're having a technical problem for some members. I'll re-post the pics. :) Closing the thread while I work on it.

Edit: ok, hope that fixed it. Enjoy!
(waiting for Cindy to check it before I re-open the thread).

Last edited:

CKJ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cindy
Thank you, everyone.....and Marie! I can now see the pictures too ~

You're probably thinking......all these different play areas for one little bird? Yep...what can I say...she's spoiled rotten and I love her!
:heart:

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wonderful set up! I agree with you Cindy, Pico is one spoiled bird. :)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Loved the interview, Cindy!:hug8:
awesome setups for very spoiled birdies!:heart::heart:

sl8tr

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karen
Nice job Cindy!!! Pico is so lucky to have you. Pico is a little sweetie. I want to birdnap her - lol!

CKJ

Real Name
Cindy
Nice job Cindy!!! Pico is so lucky to have you. Pico is a little sweetie. I want to birdnap her - lol!

Thank you, Karen! Pico can be a brat at times like most kids, but I think I am guilty of helping her become the adorable brat she is. Can't let her take all the blame ~ :D

CKJ

Real Name
Cindy
FREAKIN AWESOME SETUP!!!!! I am soo in awe and inspired!!
Thank you, Kristen ~ One day I would love to have a bird room, but for now Pico will have to have her multiple play areas. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.