• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sept 2012 Mayor of the Avenue....... Sarah (Macawnutz)!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I am so delighted to announce Sarah (Macawnutz) as September's Mayor of the Avenue. :heart:

She and her flock are an inspiration - please join me in welcoming her
:bluebird: :starshower:

1. What kind of birds do you have (age, species and names)?

At home I have Maui, almost a year old scarlet & Korbel, a 1 year old Blue & Gold. I also have my large flock at work. Rosie 60+ old GW, Sakie 49 year old military, Volar 12 year old Harlequin. 2 U2's, Nikki 19 & Coco 6 years old. Then 2 DBY Echo is 16 & Binky is 4.

2. What got you interested in birds?

Even as a child I knew my life would revolve around animals. I chose my career in training horses first. Early into my career the park I work for purchased 3 macaws and was interested in doing a show with them. The girl trained to do so quit after two weeks. LOL! I knew nothing about birds but something about them had my attention. It took a few months for the birds to train me properly but I had found my new career. I just fell in love with them. :heart:

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

Smiles, Laughs, Noise, Messes, Tears... Altogether = Happiness :heart:

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

Patience, in every form. It's okay to make a giant mess everywhere as long as you have fun doing it.
I have also learned to do as much research as possible, you can never know enough about your babies.

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

There are far to many to choose from but the most appropriate would be last October when I found Avian Avenue for help with Korbel. Four different avian vets, dozens of visits, hospitalized three times and they had no answers. Two vets were recommending me to put him down and stop fighting. The people on this forum fought the battle with me and gave me strength. It got worse before it got better but I never did it alone. This memory, and Korbel, will stay with me forever.

6. Where is your birds main living area?

The whole house is their living area. The main setup up is the playgym in our dining room although they go where we go. Maui runs the floor ( no stopping him ) and Korbel takes to the air. You can't even take a shower in this house without a bird. They have their own bedroom at night and separate sleeping cages.

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

Well, we have not much of a dining room. Tablecloths on all our tables, instead of pretty centerpieces we have baskets of foot toys on all our coffee tables. Some of our walls and windows are covered by Plexiglas. Our dining room ceiling is plexi. I take a shower with a shower perch and bird tub toys. My mother stopped over and ate a birdie bread muffin. So no, I did not change anything, this is normal right? :hehe:

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

We usually don't have a ton of time but we are making time for our local animal shelter. They took in a large flock and we care for them daily.

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

Most of the time if we want something for the birds we get it. I think I would just like a bigger house so if later I want to take in more special birds I have plenty of space to do so.

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

I have all of my dream birds! Although I have never seen a HY in person and I would love too! I need to find someone's Hy on AA to visit someday. ;)

11. Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.

OMG, this will be embarrassing. :o: Let's just say from 8am until 10pm I am cleaning, feeding and playing with birds. I get up at 6am and go to bed about midnight. That is exactly 4 hours a day without a bird on me and I am not exaggerating. I love it!

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

I truly believe you will get back from your parrot the same amount of love you put in. They take time and patience, never give up on them.

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

So many things. I stop and think about all the things we did not know 15 years ago. It is amazing how much we have advanced with parrots but we still have such a long way to go. Everyday I learn something new. I would have handled many things differently but you can't do what you don't know.

14. What other hobbies do you have?

None, wait does make my own bird toys count? :D

15. Anything else you would like to share?

I want to thank everyone on AA for this award and for feeling like family to me. When this forum comes together it feels there is nothing that can't be accomplished. I laugh with you, I cry with you, I never feel like I have do to something alone. Give your fid an extra scritch today, they and you deserve it!

:hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations Sarah! Very well deserved. You've been extremely helpful through Olive's illness and I'm very grateful :hug8:

CKJ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cindy
Congratulations, Sarah! :starshower: I so enjoyed reading your interview ~

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Congrats, Sarah! :dance5: Great interview!

merlinsmom13

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
:dance4:Well deserved, great interview! We're glad that you are here, just wish you weren't so busy & could be on more, hint hint :lol:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
:yah: I'm so glad you received this award, Sarah, and I thoroughly enjoyed your interview!

congratulations_scraps_4.gif

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Wonderful interview:hug8::hug8::hug8:CONGRATS:hug8::hug8::hug8:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
:dance4:Well deserved, great interview! We're glad that you are here, just wish you weren't so busy & could be on more, hint hint :lol:
Not to worry Becky :D I made it through the summer season at work. I have two days a week off now and after Christmas :dance4::dance4::dance4: I only work weekends!!!

Thank you everyone! I love AA so much! All of you are my extended flock :hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
well deserved wonderful interview...congratulations!!!!!!!

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Awesome choice!!!
Love the interview Sarah
Congratulations!!!!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9550 using Tapatalk

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
Congrats Sarah! :hug8:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations Sarah! I enjoyed the interview!

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.