• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Separating the P'lets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well, darnit. I'm going to have to separate Corbit and Bella for a little while. It is looking more and more like he's been overpreening her head. I thought her feathers were looking rough because of a slow molt, but on close inspection today, I see that it has to be him. He loves to preen her head and will spend time doing it even when they're out of their cage, but I'm going to have to limit their together time. :(

So, I ordered another flight cage, and I'm going to conduct an experiment or trial separation...

With seven birds now, I'm redoubling my efforts to make sure all is well with everyone...

By the way, Golden Cockatoo has a pretty reasonable price right now on double flights.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
seems like the best to separate though parrotlets get so bonded , it might be tough....

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
seems like the best to separate though parrotlets get so bonded , it might be tough....

I know it will be tough for Bella. I think Corbit might actually sort of like the break. :)

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Im sorry to hear that they need to be seperated,but it sounds like at this point its for the best.

Pumpkin

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tracy
Aww I guess you have to do what you have to do. :) Mine would be very upset if I did that. I hope it all goes well for you!!

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, I don't like to upset them, but her feathers are getting worse by the day. I need to stop the cycle of overpreening... :(

DutchHillAviary

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kevin
Holiday, be very careful that she doesn't get to depressed or freak out LOL. He is her protector and she will probably be very insecure/frightened without him.
Over-preening of the head is very common in Macaws, P'Lets and some others, it is (usually) only a cosmetic issue and IME doesn't ever lead to one bird mutilating the other or anything like that. I know you're not breeding them, but I thought I would say that some of the best producing pairs of macaws I know of are totally bald on their heads:rolleyes:

Also, when reintroduced, he will most likely continue his love affection for her head feathers LOL.

Give Zoe a head rubbing for me!

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Holiday, be very careful that she doesn't get to depressed or freak out LOL. He is her protector and she will probably be very insecure/frightened without him.
Over-preening of the head is very common in Macaws, P'Lets and some others, it is (usually) only a cosmetic issue and IME doesn't ever lead to one bird mutilating the other or anything like that. I know you're not breeding them, but I thought I would say that some of the best producing pairs of macaws I know of are totally bald on their heads:rolleyes:

Also, when reintroduced, he will most likely continue his love affection for her head feathers LOL.

Give Zoe a head rubbing for me!
Thanks, Kevin. I appreciate your input. I know you're right that she does see him as her protector, because of the way they behaved during the move. She really relied on him.

I just hate to see her looking so beat up. :( I will proceed with great caution...

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Okay, I separated the p'lets this morning, and so far, everything seems to be just fine. They are in side-by-side flights and can still see each other and chirp to each other. They do not seem traumatized in the least, nor are they trying to get to each other. They are both eating and playing with toys. :) I'm going to keep watching them carefully, but so far, so good.

I just wanted to add that they were in side-by-side cages for a year before I put them together, so this situation is not completely unfamiliar to them...

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sounds like its going smoothly,Im so glad :)

Trice

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trice
Holiday,

Mimi and Sky were seperated a few months ago. They both have side by side cages in my sunroom. It's been the best decision I could have made. They interact with each other during playtime out side of the cage but not inside. For me, it's worked out very well.
Trice

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Holiday,

Mimi and Sky were seperated a few months ago. They both have side by side cages in my sunroom. It's been the best decision I could have made. They interact with each other during playtime out side of the cage but not inside. For me, it's worked out very well.
Trice
Trice, thanks for posting. So far, it seems to be working here as well. Bella's feathers are improving, and Corbit seems to be more relaxed. I swear--I think he preened her head constantly just to get her to sit still. He's so much more laid back than she is, and when he preened her, she would be calm. So, I think he just preened and preened, LOL.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
:lol:
The things they will do to keep us sitting in one place....
I'm glad to hear this is working out!

Status
Not open for further replies.