• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Separating Budgies

joshuacott

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joshua Cott
Hi everyone,

I hope I'm posting this in the right thread.
My newest budgie Sky has been in the same cage as my original budgie Blu, but I think Sky has been stressing Blu out a bit lately, being a bit territorial and so on. I have separated them this morning, they've not hurt each other or anything just think Blu has been stressed from Sky.
I have the cages near each other so they can still see one another, how long do you think I should wait before trying to have them share a cage again? Blu is a male and is at least 4 or 5 months old, Sky is younger and is looking to be a male also but not 100% sure as of yet.
I would be really grateful for any advice you may have for me.
When Sky first went in with Blu it was actually Blu who was territorial but they warmed up to each other within a day and were playing and giving kisses but the past few days they seem to be agitating one another a bit.
Blu seems to be nearing the end of his first molt so I know he may be a bit off at the moment due to that process.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
I'd wait 'till they want to be friends. I think you were smart to separate them for now. If you post pictures, people here can tell you right now whether Sky is male or female - no need to wait.

@Ripshod @Lady Jane

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
They'll likely be able to share a cage again once they've natured. It's certainly not hormonal at their ages.
Keep them separated for a few weeks then reintroduce them out if the cage. Let them decide if they want to share.
Post some photos, we'll be able to confirm genders.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
There is no.magic number of days or weeks for separation. You should be able to tell by behaviors. Do they play nice together out of the cage?

joshuacott

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joshua Cott
I'd wait 'till they want to be friends. I think you were smart to separate them for now. If you post pictures, people here can tell you right now whether Sky is male or female - no need to wait.

@Ripshod @Lady Jane
Thank you for the help, I think they want to be friends going by their behaviour, just not ready for the same cage yet.
I have attached photos of Sky, pretty sure male but would love to see if you guys think male or female :)

Attachments

joshuacott

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joshua Cott
They'll likely be able to share a cage again once they've natured. It's certainly not hormonal at their ages.
Keep them separated for a few weeks then reintroduce them out if the cage. Let them decide if they want to share.
Post some photos, we'll be able to confirm genders.
Thank you, It seems more territotial id say, they get on find outside of the cage and a few days ago they got on fine in the same cage but it's obviously time for a break. Sky seems much more energetic and Blu is much calmer in personality so im hoping they'll eventually warm up to each other, I have posted pics of Sky :)

joshuacott

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joshua Cott
There is no.magic number of days or weeks for separation. You should be able to tell by behaviors. Do they play nice together out of the cage?
They get on fine outside of the cage and a few days ago they were kissing and playing in the cage, just now they seem to be at odds with one another. Will keep them separate and just allow play time out of the cages and see how they get on going forward, thank you for the help :)

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Hmmm... Tricky budgie. I guess female, but I still see baby bars & a hint of blue in the cere. Also looks like Sky is a pied budgie. We'll have to wait to see what others think.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Thank you for the help, I think they want to be friends going by their behaviour, just not ready for the same cage yet.
I have attached photos of Sky, pretty sure male but would love to see if you guys think male or female :)
Sky certainly is female. That may explain a lot. Females do tend to be a little (ahem) dominant. :lol:
Clearwing Pied?

Last edited:

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
When you have that age difference, (which should not make an awful lot of difference if they are both still babies), but still, with the age difference comes that divisive gap. I just have to say though, that when I read the post, I'm thinking about my two, and knowing just how 'territorial' (read bossy and overbearing) that my Fiona can be to Fergus. She is the bossiest thing ever, and it's a darn good thing that Fergus is so good natured.
I really cannot tell for sure 100 percent in the photos - ohhhh haa I just read the post from @Ripshod while I was posting this message and that is exactly what I was going to say! Linden is so good about telling the genders apart! Yep, those are some bossy little girls they are!

joshuacott

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joshua Cott
Hmmm... Tricky budgie. I guess female, but I still see baby bars & a hint of blue in the cere. Also looks like Sky is a pied budgie. We'll have to wait to see what others think.
Sky certainly is female. That may explain a lot. Females do tend to be a little (ahem) dominant. :lol:
Clearwing Pied?
When you have that age difference, (which should not make an awful lot of difference if they are both still babies), but still, with the age difference comes that divisive gap. I just have to say though, that when I read the post, I'm thinking about my two, and knowing just how 'territorial' (read bossy and overbearing) that my Fiona can be to Fergus. She is the bossiest thing ever, and it's a darn good thing that Fergus is so good natured.
I really cannot tell for sure 100 percent in the photos - ohhhh haa I just read the post from @Ripshod while I was posting this message and that is exactly what I was going to say! Linden is so good about telling the genders apart! Yep, those are some bossy little girls they are!
Thank you everyone, really glad to know sky is a she, hopefully theyll become buddies eventually :)

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Thank you everyone, really glad to know sky is a she, hopefully theyll become buddies eventually
I would be willing to bet on it! Sometimes I'm just not sure how Fergus puts up with his little girl pal, but he and I both love her to pieces. I keep thinking I will soon post the little video I recently took - They had fresh dandelion greens, and as usual, Fiona was trying to HOG THEM! LOL. Her warning signs to Fergus remind me of a squeaky gate.