• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Senni's Eye Color Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

CityGirl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Carol
Can any one tell me (about) what age I should see my Senni's iris totally yellow? She is four months old, right now, and you can see a definite iris and it is currently grey. Her eyes were pretty dark when I got her, so I have see some change.

Thanks!

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
I will do some research and see what I can come up with. My sennie is 3 years old and still does not have the yellow.

CityGirl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Carol
Gee, Marlene... :huh: have your Senni's eyes changed at all? Pakki's irises have lightened up so that you can see the pupil, but that's it. I assumed they would continue changing, but it seems they are standing still in that department the last two weeks.

Your offer to research, is very kind. I will join you as well in looking for an answer. Pakki was gotten from a pet store, so it's not like I can call the breeder.

Thanks for your response! :)

Quiverful

Life is a gift:)
Real Name
Dawn
Our Sennie's eyes were completely dark when we got him. He's now about 18 months old and his eyes are a light grey...no red at all yet.

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
Gee, Marlene... :huh: have your Senni's eyes changed at all? Pakki's irises have lightened up so that you can see the pupil, but that's it. I assumed they would continue changing, but it seems they are standing still in that department the last two weeks.

Your offer to research, is very kind. I will join you as well in looking for an answer. Pakki was gotten from a pet store, so it's not like I can call the breeder.

Thanks for your response! :)
Yes, her eyes have changed, but very little. I have been waiting for the "yellow" to happen too. Nothing yet.:confused:

Kathy

Rollerblading along the road
The guy I got Beakner from said he bought him 2 years ago at a bird fair in Nashville and Beakner was just old enough to start eating on his own..
So he should be less than 2 and a half years old..
Here's his eye color..

Last edited:

Babybreau

Real Name
Tanya
I wonder if it would have anything to do with the mutation of Senegal, and/or sex, as well as age?

Kathy

I wonder if it would have anything to do with the mutation of Senegal, and/or sex, as well as age?
I don't know anything about mutation but according to sites that say you can visually sex Senegal's Beakner would be a female and not male as he was called by previous owner. I have no idea the sex of my bird, but I do think he could be a she.. I guess we'll see some time in the future.

Kathy

I've just read that juvenile Senegals have dark brown eyes, while adults eye color ranges from silvery yellow to orange.
another place said Adult sennies can have a Bright Yellow, Red or brown colored iris..

Tielygirl

Avenue Veteran
I guess I was always under the assumption that they turned once they reached sexual maturity. 4 months is deff too young to be fully turned, I would guess that between 1-3 years of age they would turn all depending upon subspecies.
For those that dont know there are 3 subspecies: yellow vested, orange vested, and red vested.

jim

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jim
Zoey is almost 5 and her eyes aren't yellow yet. The Sennies with bright yellow eyes are usually older. 10+

Kathy

Zoey is almost 5 and her eyes aren't yellow yet. The Sennies with bright yellow eyes are usually older. 10+
Beakner is just a little over 2 and his eyes are bright yellow.

Tielygirl

Avenue Veteran
which subspecies is she?

What subspecies is he?
There isnt any info on whether or not the sub species are all that same or different as far at eye color goes, all of the sites I've read says that it varies with their eyes, so Zoey's eyes probably will never get any lighter.
My meyers parrot Meru changed his eyes way earlier than normal, but they are only an orange-red color and after several months of no change I'm assuming they wont change further (get deeper red as most meyers). Their eyes are most likely similar to ours as we have different eye colors- just theirs varies by shade.

This is just the conclusion I've came to after reading up on it as there isn't much out there.

Kathy

which subspecies is she?

What subspecies is he?
There isnt any info on whether or not the sub species are all that same or different as far at eye color goes, all of the sites I've read says that it varies with their eyes, so Zoey's eyes probably will never get any lighter.
My meyers parrot Meru changed his eyes way earlier than normal, but they are only an orange-red color and after several months of no change I'm assuming they wont change further (get deeper red as most meyers). Their eyes are most likely similar to ours as we have different eye colors- just theirs varies by shade.

This is just the conclusion I've came to after reading up on it as there isn't much out there.
I didn't know much about Senegals when I got Beakner. I'm still learning. I do know he/she (not sure the sex) has an orange vest.

jim

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jim
Zoey is a yellow belly. lol Poicephalus senegalus. How do they say that? The "nominate" sub species.

and looking at the picture in your siggy Kathy, those eyes have a lot of yellowing to do yet.

Zoey's eye at about three.

Kathy

Zoey is a yellow belly. lol Poicephalus senegalus. How do they say that? The "nominate" sub species.

and looking at the picture in your siggy Kathy, those eyes have a lot of yellowing to do yet.

Zoey's eye at about three.

Thanks for telling me. I didn't know his eyes are still changing.
Is that Zoey in your siggy? I see the coloring is a lot like Beakner.. How do I find out which he is?

CityGirl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Carol
Our Sennie's eyes were completely dark when we got him. He's now about 18 months old and his eyes are a light grey...no red at all yet.

Okay... Marlene's baby is 2, eyes still not yellow,... yours is 18 months and changed to grey (kinda like Pakki's), still not yellow... hmmmm. Maybe they have to be 5 years old before something happens?

I just got home a bit ago, and last night was too late for me to start surfing for answers/directions, so I'll start after I eat (in a few -- if I can push my chair away from my desk! :p).

CityGirl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Carol
Hmmmm. "Sex" passed through my head, too (and I am staying topic, here)... especially since there seems to be such a strong correlation between male and female coloring pattern.

Good thought!

CityGirl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Carol
Here is a picture of my girl Akon, so you can see her eyes.
The guy I got Beakner from said he bought him 2 years ago at a bird fair in Nashville and Beakner was just old enough to start eating on his own..
So he should be less than 2 and a half years old..
Here's his eye color..
I've just read that juvenile Senegals have dark brown eyes, while adults eye color ranges from silvery yellow to orange.
another place said Adult sennies can have a Bright Yellow, Red or brown colored iris..
Thanks for telling me. I didn't know his eyes are still changing.
Is that Zoey in your siggy? I see the coloring is a lot like Beakner.. How do I find out which he is?
Well! This should teach me not to reply until I've read ALL the posts! :lol: Thanks, everyone... seems we all know enough to think/question along some of the same lines.

Kathy, Pakki's eyes are no where near the color of Beakner's eyes.

Marlene, your baby's eyes appear to be lighter than Pakki's...

I love seeing pics of everyone's fids, and it's especially nice to see like species of mine. Aren't our Senni's handsome?! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.