• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

senior conure

ch4rlotte

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
charlotte
my conure is 23 and i am SO terrified of her dying, we adopted her about a year ago and she has helped me so much and i’m just so sad and worried about her leaving since she’s so old. does anyone have any tips on how to not be so sad over this? she’s not sick or anything i’m just worried

Jogging around the block
I know the same feeling, it's so hard.. Sending virtual hugs :bighug:
I told myself to stop fearing and worrying because it isn't actually going to change the future, and it doesn't benefit me or the bird, so there is no point in continuing. Also living in the moment like the bird does. Enjoy your time with her, rather than worrying what will happen next.

ch4rlotte

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
charlotte
I know the same feeling, it's so hard.. Sending virtual hugs :bighug:
I told myself to stop fearing and worrying because it isn't actually going to change the future, and it doesn't benefit me or the bird, so there is no point in continuing. Also living in the moment like the bird does. Enjoy your time with her, rather than worrying what will happen next.
thank you, i really appreciate it <3

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Yes, it is very hard but the elderly birds are so special. I didn't think I'd make it through having to put Hachi to sleep. I always just took one day at a time. I had almost five wonderful years. Bitty is probably over 25...we are just trying to give him quality for a bit but it's so very hard. Mantra..."Life is good today, I'll think about this later." And just keep telling yourself that...it helped me.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I have only ever had senior tiels. My first was 15 (which now I don't think is so old but I did at the time). Now I have a 21 year old who I adopted at 20 and I am technically fostering a 31 year old (got him at 30) but due to his age the rescue is just keeping him with me, he won't be adopted out. My fiance said to me at the time I decided to take in the 30 year old- do you really want to take in a tiel that old? What are you doing to do when he dies? And I said, I will cry. But until then I will do my best to give him a good home and let him know that he is loved everyday. That's the best we can do with the old ones. When my first tiel eventually had a stroke (and recovered), my vet said- just cherish each day. And that's what I try to do. Yes, it hurts when you lose them. But you can lose a bird at any age. You just have to enjoy each day with them and not worry about what tomorrow may bring.

tattoosiva

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
my conure is 23 and i am SO terrified of her dying, we adopted her about a year ago and she has helped me so much and i’m just so sad and worried about her leaving since she’s so old. does anyone have any tips on how to not be so sad over this? she’s not sick or anything i’m just worried
Don't rob yourself and her of living the best life of the present and memories of the best life she lived in the future. I know its sounds easier said then done but don't deny yourself and her of living life to the fullest, no matter the time you have.

What go me through the grief of losing my Manu last year was the memories of all the wonderful times we had. He may be gone but the good memories live on forever.