• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Senior Budgie...Age?

Keetie!

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Joanne
Hi All!

My male budgie Blueberry is five years old. Up until July 2020, he was non-stop with flying and playing. Around the end of July (after his wellness check), his behavior changed. He seemed to slow down some. His wellness check was good...except his vet told me to try to convert to pellets....we are still trying. I am currently treating him for an iodine deficiency.

My question: at what age is a budgie considered a senior? I guess it depends on many factors. Thank God he is still flying and using his swings outside the cage daily.

The pellets (Roudybush) are still not being tolerated. I am trying to crush them as using as flour in Birdie Bread.

Thanks for the replies!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Try a different pellet. I've never had luck with Roudybush, especially for seed junkies

I would say 7+ would be senior but I suppose a case could be made the 5+ is senior. Guess it depends!

Mybluebird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anne
His change in behavior might be more related to the change in diet rather than his age. I'd second @Mizzely recommendation and try a different pellet. See if Blueberry will eat it and perk up more. Does he eat fresh foods? Both my guys love wheat grass which I found in the organic produce section of my local grocery store. I've started growing my own so they'll have a steady supply and I give it to them everyday. Good luck - it seems one of the most asked question is how to convert from seeds to pellets and fresh foods.

BirdWorld

Budgies can live to be 20, so five years is not that much for them. The oldest known budgie was 29. I would say being 10+ years old would make them “senior”. :)

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Budgies can live to be 20, so five years is not that much for them. The oldest known budgie was 29. I would say being 10+ years old would make them “senior”. :)
Living to 20 is rare for budgies, even the ones in perfect health. I know we discussed this on another thread. Most healthy budgies live to be 10-15. Even 15 could be considered very old for a budgie.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
For cats, 7+ is considered senior even though they live up to 20 years! Humans are senior at 55/60 even though they can live to 100.

Keetie!

Real Name
Joanne
Thanks for the input! Yes...Blueberry will eat cauliflower, some fruits, organic wheat bread, eggs...some birdie bread. I am trying cooked slightly some organic carrots today.

I would just like to know with a very picky older budgie....would Harrisons be tolerated. Maybe I could get a sample from a few different manufacturers!

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
I would just like to know with a very picky older budgie....would Harrisons be tolerated. Maybe I could get a sample from a few different manufacturers!
Get a variety of samples of different pellets if you can. And run trials on them to see which one he tries first.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
My budgies have all refused a long list of pellet brands. We finally settled on lafeber nutriberries for parakeets...it’s seed and pellets rolled up into a ball, but my little guys eat it all up.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
My eldest budgie is at least 5, I think he's probably 6, and I consider him a senior, but that's just my opinion.

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
My budgies have all refused a long list of pellet brands. We finally settled on lafeber nutriberries for parakeets...it’s seed and pellets rolled up into a ball, but my little guys eat it all up.
My budgies are the same! I crush mine up with a rolling pin :laughing6:
Nutriberries is the best alternative and I read an article about how it was better than pellets

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
My budgies are the same! I crush mine up with a rolling pin
Forget the context and just read that again :lolsign:
I used to give my pellets a quick blitz in a coffee grinder then watch for them eating noting the size. Eventually the birds realised how easy they were to crush (even easier for the females) and would regularly get to work on pellets intended for much large birds.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
:rofl:

Can we report @Olliebirb to the animal welfare people?:lol:
Thanks for making my return (after a couple of months) humorous... Wait... my return is not humorous, I am having humor UPON my return! ;)

My Lucy Bird lived until about 7 or 8, but I adopted her / inherited her from a relative years back, so I'm not really sure how old Lucy was when she came to me.

Fergus and Fiona still get regular seeds, and I mix the Zupreem fruity pellets with it. I have NO CLUE if they are eating those pellets, but if I had to guess, I'd say no. Nevertheless, I am happy they eat their veggies (and occasional boiled egg pieces) from their separate bowl.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Wow I have never heard of anyone having a 20 year old budgie. English Budgies seem to have a shorter life than the parakets. Five years of budgie life could be the half way point with good health, exercise and nutrition.

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Forget the context and just read that again :lolsign:
I used to give my pellets a quick blitz in a coffee grinder then watch for them eating noting the size. Eventually the birds realised how easy they were to crush (even easier for the females) and would regularly get to work on pellets intended for much large birds.
Oh my goodness no :laughing6: that is NOT what I meant!!

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
Well I for one have adopted the "coffee grinder" method. I bought some Harrison's which Sam did pick at but I had to order them online and they were pricey. Given that they have an expiry date I soon tired of that. I finally said "enough" and bought some "all living things" pellets from Petsmart and ground them up in a coffee grinder. Sprinkled them over her chop and seeds and hoped for the best. Well I watched her ignore them for awhile but the other day I saw her purposely push her chop aside and eat the pellet dust!!! Tried not to get too excited because I thought it was a fluke. Nope she did the same thing today! Yay!!

Keetie!

Real Name
Joanne
I have some great news...Blueberry actually ate some ground pellets out of my hand this weekend!!! His favorite veggie is now cauliflower. I chopped cauliflower and broccoli crowns for three days of chop and he eats that for lunch with me daily. I think that is such great progress for a five year old budgie. He also ate some strawberry today. I am grateful!!!