• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Senior Bird with Arthritis

PrettyBirdy

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Hello! I adopted a 30+ year old Mustache 'keet in mid November of last year, who I adore oh so dearly. I suspected Poncho likely had arthritis, however i'm embarrassed to say that it slipped my mind during my initial vet visit with him, and aside from a basic blood panel, not much was done. However, now I am definitely noticing evidence of it. Some mild inflammation on his right foot which has an old injury that makes on of his toes twist out and up at an awkward angle, no noticeable discomfort aside from the occasional few limping steps after he just wakes up, like it got stiff and sore over the night, and he just has to work it out.

Now, normally I would set up an appointment, and hopefully get some meds...But with the COVID-19 stuff....well it's hitting my area quite hard. One of the more effected regions of the US. I've completely stockpiled food for everyone, and have self isolated. Unless I see an urgent reason to leave the house...I won't be.

Hopefully, within a few months, things will have settled enough for me to get him to the vet. In the meantime, i'd like to give some natural aids. I started giving him some Cayenne pepper today, mixing with a little water, and then coating a few treats he can't resist. I'm going to add turmeric as well. Any other suggestions? Perhaps something topical? He's my first truly 'senior' bird, and I want to make him as comfortable as possible!

Photo Tax for your help:
pioncho 1.jpg pioncho.jpg

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Saya had massive joint swelling (years ago). The 'mix' was the following:
  • Turmeric
  • Tart cherry concentrate- key to my gal... this helped immensely
  • Milk Thistle (sometimes joint inflammation can be caused by a stressed liver)
  • Dandelion greens (same reason as above)
  • Kale (not collard greens- collard greens have a high propensity for reduction of calcium uptake).
  • Blueberries
  • The spiciest peppers you can find that are red. Try for fresh and chop them very small- the ground loses much of its value in processing.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He's very cute. Ceylon cinnamon and ginger are also good. I give my senior tiel something called Healthy Bird Anti-inflammatory. I get it from christineschopshop.com. It's a mixture of Ceylon cinnamon, rose hips, turmeric, bee pollen, milk thistle, ginger and cayenne pepper. I also feed Senior Nutriberries which has ingredients aimed at helping senior birds, like glucosamine.

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Good reminder! @sunnysmom Glucosamine and chondroitin can be found in the lining of chicken eggs- if you hard boil them, pull off the lining for your feathered friend ;)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
My girl Jasper has severe arthritis in both feet and legs. 12/15 years ago the Dr. put her on Metacam, told me to give her feet warm baths (yeah sure) and recommended DMSO Amazon.com: DMSO Liquid Concentrate 99% Pure 16 fl. oz.: Health & Personal Care to put on it when the pain got bad or the swelling increased. From the Metacam the pain meds proceeded from Metacam to Celebrex. Metacam and Celebrex has worked very well for a number of years.

Neither my vet nor I are fans of most of the "natural" treatments. Medications may be made out of some of the things used for "natural" cures, but they haven't had clinical testing and their strength is very low.

PrettyBirdy

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
My girl Jasper has severe arthritis in both feet and legs. 12/15 years ago the Dr. put her on Metacam, told me to give her feet warm baths (yeah sure) and recommended DMSO Amazon.com: DMSO Liquid Concentrate 99% Pure 16 fl. oz.: Health & Personal Care to put on it when the pain got bad or the swelling increased. From the Metacam the pain meds proceeded from Metacam to Celebrex. Metacam and Celebrex has worked very well for a number of years.

Neither my vet nor I are fans of most of the "natural" treatments. Medications may be made out of some of the things used for "natural" cures, but they haven't had clinical testing and their strength is very low.
Generally I would be using natural treatments as a supplemental aspect to his care...however due to the severity of COVID in my area, and the lack of apparent emergency, I am going to exhaust other possibilities before risking myself and therefor my roommates.

PrettyBirdy

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Saya had massive joint swelling (years ago). The 'mix' was the following:
  • Turmeric
  • Tart cherry concentrate- key to my gal... this helped immensely
  • Milk Thistle (sometimes joint inflammation can be caused by a stressed liver)
  • Dandelion greens (same reason as above)
  • Kale (not collard greens- collard greens have a high propensity for reduction of calcium uptake).
  • Blueberries
  • The spiciest peppers you can find that are red. Try for fresh and chop them very small- the ground loses much of its value in processing.
Good reminder! @sunnysmom Glucosamine and chondroitin can be found in the lining of chicken eggs- if you hard boil them, pull off the lining for your feathered friend ;)
I would have NEVER thought to do that with eggs!! So interesting. I'm trying to get my hands on the cherry concentrate, COVID is just making this so difficult... Milk thistle, turmeric, kale and peppers are definitely doable though. Thank you!!

PrettyBirdy

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
He's very cute. Ceylon cinnamon and ginger are also good. I give my senior tiel something called Healthy Bird Anti-inflammatory. I get it from christineschopshop.com. It's a mixture of Ceylon cinnamon, rose hips, turmeric, bee pollen, milk thistle, ginger and cayenne pepper. I also feed Senior Nutriberries which has ingredients aimed at helping senior birds, like glucosamine.
Wow what an excellent resource! Thank you! I will check that site out asap! He's had some pretty rough patches in his life, and I just want him as comfortable as possible. He's already (surprisingly to me since he's been almost completely naked for 10+ years) started growing feathers back, which is absolutely fantastic and just fills me with joy. I love him to bits.

bjmelton

Moving in
Real Name
Barbra
Generally I would be using natural treatments as a supplemental aspect to his care...however due to the severity of COVID in my area, and the lack of apparent emergency, I am going to exhaust other possibilities before risking myself and therefor my roommates.
Thanks for sharing. my 37 y/o yellow nape amazon TIKI was just dx with severe osteoarthritis in legs and feet. she can still grip my fingers tight but her feet curl when she walks. She has some pressure sores so I have her set up in a large dog crate with on thick fleece blanket for now. she wants to perch on ladder but vet is concerned about some current pressure sores. She's not eating much and has lost weight so i'm hand feeding her. She's on metcam but not sure it's helping enough. vet has recommended on tramadol/metcam protocol as well as flax seed, glucosamin, vit supplement, and aloe foot rubs to start. I'm just beginning to research best care protocol. I'm heartbroken for my Tiki. I've had her since she was 6 months old. I am afraid that we won't be able to restore quality to her life. I've had moments where I've thought the most loving thing to do is let her go, but then she sings and plays peek a boo and I hope I can help her have more good years. Any resources, success stories, remedies, would be appreciated.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@bjmelton

When MC was on his last days on this earth, I was told I could roll up something for him to perch on in his cage so he wouldn't fall. I think they're more comfortable feeling they are perched. Maybe you could try a bird safe material to do that with?

I had small baby blankets (burp towels?) that I bought at yard sales for my Amazons. I would have tried one of those.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@bjmelton

Don't give up on Tiki. If there is life left, they deserve a chance. Look for things that they love. I fed in small containers by hand. They both loved organic quinoa.