• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Senior Bird Introductions

Bonnetbird

Meeting neighbors
While i’m new here hope this Thread doesn’t exist elsewhere - just a little hello introducing your senior bird and a little bit of their story.

Bonnet (military macaw) joined my family in the early 90’s. My dad went to the pet store to get a lop eared bunny ... and came home with a Macaw. Bonnet had been the pet store owners bird, but he developed respiratory problems and she was brought to the store to be resold/home or to live there. Apparently she fell in love with my dad and was following him all over the store - the store employees were shocked as she was not that friendly of a bird.

At that time they told us she was around 8 and wild born. Years later the wife told us that she remembers her in the late 70’s and she was already a few years (or 10+) years old.

My dad passed away ... and it took some time for her to re bond with me... and then we moved to
NYC...

Bonnet has many health issues now, but that is for another post !

Can’t wait to meet you all!

Attachments

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome! I did read your other post, but I just have to respond here. Gotta love a Dad that goes to the pet store for a bunny and comes home with a macaw! Ha! :)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Wounderdul story about Bonnet! I’m so glad you were committed to keeping her after your dad passed away. Welcome to AA!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Military macaws are my second favorite after GWS (of course). Old age does not do any of us any favors, but I'm glad she is alive and kicking.

Go for it Bonnet.