• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Senegal that barbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jim
Curious if anybody else here has a Senegal that barbers their feathers?
Zoey picks at and clips the feathers on the back of her wings. The top of her wings maybe it would be called. As well as a little bit around her vent area.
I don't know for sure, it may have been a coincidence that she started around her crow incident as that would also have been around the time she came of age.

Angelicarboreals

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
My sennie doesn't barber, but we have had to battle plucking off and on since earlier this year. When I got him in July 2008 his former owner clipped his wings the day I took him home and when they grew out they irritated his back (one of the reasons I don't clip anymore) and he plucked his back and underwing area bald. Once he got started with that he moved onto his legs and I thought I would never get him to stop. My vet agreed that it was probably triggered by the wing trim, and was exaggerated by the movement to a new household.

Kathy

Rollerblading along the road
No Barber here either.. My new Sennie Peg is or was a plucker. She's pretty bald on her belly and under her wings and a few other places, BUT I haven't seen her do any plucking since she's been here. I do see quite a few new feather's starting to grow but not many in the bald areas.
Beakner is full feathered.. He really is a beauty but lately he's looking really plump lol

CityGirl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Carol
No barbering here... but then Pakki is just 5 months old and she seems to be pretty well adjusted to everything here, so far. I worried about my dog and cat, but they all seem to be okay together.

Kathy, congrats on Peg. I'm glad she has come home to you. :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Has she had a health check lately Jim? The wing feather barbering may be behavioral but the picking around her vent concerns me. That part sounds medical to me.

Many birds barber their wing feathers because of past or present clipping. Tika still barbers his flights even after 6 years of not being clipped. He's not a Senegal and I'm not familiar with them but he still does it.

jim

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jim
she saw the vet last February and there was nothing they could find. She will be going in February or March to meet a new vet this year for her annual. The picking around her very in very light. She also never does it when I can see.

tracieerin

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tracie
Jack barbers.. he came to me that way. He was all down feathers save his primary flights when he came home. He chewed off the flights within a few days and I had a little chicken wing duck butt :/

At the vet's advice we did a collar and he feathered up again, but I have since decided that it's not fair to him to be in that contraption indefinitely. He can't sleep with his beak in his back, hold food with his foot, climb well, etc. So he is out of the collar and on his way to being a Q-tip again.

I have found that he is going more slowly this time around, though. A daily shower and lots of the King's jungle toy husk toys (refillable) seems to be slowing him down. It was hard to find a toy that he wasn't afraid of so now I'm going to stock up.

tracieerin

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tracie
PS.. that picture is from the short amount of time he was fully feathered. He's a handsome kid if he'd leave himself alone! :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.