• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Senegal Parrot and Pyrography (Wood Burning)

LindaluF

Moving in
Real Name
Lindalu Forseth
Hi I have a Senegal Parrot and I am a Pyrographer. When I'm burning a piece there is a little bit of smoke created, natural untreated wood.

Will this hurt my Senegal?

Thanks in advance.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
@Hankmacaw has some great information about how our birds breathe and use much more than we do out of the oxygen they inhale - I’ll see if I can find one of her great links for showing why we try to keep our birds breathing nothing but pure clean air.

Are you able to do your work in an area that is not accessed by your bird?

Im guessing there’s not a tonne of smoke like from an actual fire but every bit of contamination our birds breathe is problematic over the course of time so I don’t want to say it should be fine as I honestly don’t know and I personally tend to be a little OTT about what is put into the air my birds breathe.

LindaluF

Moving in
Real Name
Lindalu Forseth
I can move her out of the room, but she would be screeching. The only time I can get away with not being in the room is bedtime and if I go out lol.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I am hoping some others will chime in soon to give you some information or opinions.
I am going to see if I can find that link ML has shared in the past about our birds respiratory.... wish me luck lol

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
After watching this you should realize that birds get twice as much bad/good out of each breath of air. They even store some air in their long bones for lightness and flight and that air does not exchange with every breath, but stays for some time - that is especially damaging.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I’ve just gone outside to put the rubbish out- door open for a few seconds as I exited and again as I entered. My bird is now sneezing like crazy because there is a very slight smell of smoke in the air from a fire that is not even anywhere close to my town. I can only just smell it myself but it is highly irritating him :(
Air purifier has just been turned up to clean the air faster. It really honestly amazes me how much irritates him before I even get the slightest whiff of it.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
My vet is currently in Australia trying to help with the fire injured animals. I asked him how the bird are doing and he told me, "They are dropping out of the sky from the smoke by the tens of thousands". Smoke of any kind is possibly the very worst thin for a birds lungs - there is all sorts of particles and deadly fumes in smoke.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
My vet is currently in Australia trying to help with the fire injured animals. I asked him how the bird are doing and he told me, "They are dropping out of the sky from the smoke by the tens of thousands". Smoke of any kind is possibly the very worst thin for a birds lungs - there is all sorts of particles and deadly fumes in smoke.
I’m torn here... I wanted to love your post for what your vet is doing but I would have needed to hit the sad button because what he is reporting back is so very distressing and sad!
I think it’s beautiful and amazing of your vet to come help our wildlife- a great big thanks and hug from me!!

I’ve put my name on the register to foster any birds who’ve lost their homes or birds who are needed to be temporarily re homed/fostered because of the smoke and fires.
I have two empty outdoor aviaries and more extra large cages than birds!
Some of the footage I saw of people with their poor terrified tired macaws and cockatoos in tiny little travel cages stuck in evacuation centres broke my heart as much as seeing the devastation of our natural habitats and deaths of our special wildlife.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Dr. Driggers is honest, and hes telling the truth, I'm sure this is heavily weighing on his heart,,,God bless him for helping as best he can.. :sad7:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hi I have a Senegal Parrot and I am a Pyrographer. When I'm burning a piece there is a little bit of smoke created, natural untreated wood.

Will this hurt my Senegal?

Thanks in advance.
Yes it will,,move your art outside of the house, all my art..no matter what it is , is outside the house, lucky I am to have a studio off the garage to do my stuff...not worth it ..:hug8:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Some of the footage I saw of people with their poor terrified tired macaws and cockatoos in tiny little travel cages stuck in evacuation centres broke my heart
That's far better than what I have seen here in the states during evacuations. Rarely if ever are birds even rescued and when they are they are never allowed to stay in rescue centers with their owners who know how to take care of them.

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
I think @Davi does pyrography as part of his shop. Maybe he can offer some insight, too :)

OK Mike

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mike
This article addresses the human toxicity of pyrography which would be exponentially worse for a bird.

Davi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
Thank you for the mention, @Hjarta5 ! I would agree that smoke of any kind is best kept away from all your birds. While I would venture a guess that birds in the wild are no strangers to smoke from naturally-occurring fires, they’re also free and able to fly as far alway from it as they see fit. Our feathered companions, however, cannot. I do all of my wood burning away from the birds and the air filters are always going to matter what (for their sake and mine). So to make a long story short, yes, I’d be super careful about not exposing your bird to any of the smoke you generate. And honestly, when I’m doing a lot of wood burning, I wear a mask myself (my sinuses tend to get aggravated if I don’t). Hope this helps!