• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

senegal friend for my red bellied parrot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

renaelock

Strolling the yard
There is someone close to me in distance that is rehoming their 1 year old female senegal. I eventually want my birds to have "friends" - either hang out friends or cage friends. This senegal would be for my red bellied parrot. I know there is a chance that the birds won't get along, and I am ok with that - I've also read that birds hated each other for a long time and then bam, friends. So, do you think my red bellied would be happy with a female friend? He wasn't too into meeting my male sun conure but Luckily Feeny read GeoG's body language and steered clear. Any advise would be great. Oh and GeoG really likes male humans but I live alone and am female, do you think the female bird friend will set our bonding back? What about if everyone is out on the same tree, since I'd have one female and two males, could there be problems if the senegal is "in season"? P.s. I don't know much about birdie baby making so I don't know if "in season" is the correct term to use. Thank you!!

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
I have to say, I've never been a fan of getting a bird to be another bird's friend.
If you want the extra flock memeber, good, if it happens to become friends with one of your current birds, great.

Given that there is no guarantee that this Senegal will take to your Red-bellied, if you don't get this bird for you first and foremost, I would pass. If, however, you want this extra bird with the understanding that they might never be friends, then go for it. There is also the possibility that this Senegal will take a liking to your Sun conure.

Out of my 4 Poicephalus, two of them are really good friends. My Senegal and my youngest Meyer's (Zuri) do spend some time together and preen each other and occasionally play with each other. But my Senegal still pretty much wants to spend time with me. She's also friendly with all the other birds, lovebird included, but one, the eldest Meyer's who a bit grouchy with all the other birds (I don't think she had much bird interaction before coming here). I did not push Shade and Zuri together, they just started hanging out together on their own. Shade is also pretty good with my Red-bellied, but he would rather play on his own or be with my boyfriend or myself.

I think all my birds benefit from being in a flock together, but hoping for them all to be "friends" is a bit unrealistic.

M

M.C Bird Rescue

I have to say, I've never been a fan of getting a bird to be another bird's friend.
If you want the extra flock memeber, good, if it happens to become friends with one of your current birds, great.

Given that there is no guarantee that this Senegal will take to your Red-bellied, if you don't get this bird for you first and foremost, I would pass. If, however, you want this extra bird with the understanding that they might never be friends, then go for it. There is also the possibility that this Senegal will take a liking to your Sun conure.

Out of my 4 Poicephalus, two of them are really good friends. My Senegal and my youngest Meyer's (Zuri) do spend some time together and preen each other and occasionally play with each other. But my Senegal still pretty much wants to spend time with me. She's also friendly with all the other birds, lovebird included, but one, the eldest Meyer's who a bit grouchy with all the other birds (I don't think she had much bird interaction before coming here). I did not push Shade and Zuri together, they just started hanging out together on their own. Shade is also pretty good with my Red-bellied, but he would rather play on his own or be with my boyfriend or myself.

I think all my birds benefit from being in a flock together, but hoping for them all to be "friends" is a bit unrealistic.

That is soo true. The new bird could be bird aggressive or your bird could be aggressive towards them. Being prepared for them not to get along is what is important!

tracieerin

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tracie
I got my (at the time) 8 year old Senegal because a) I wanted another bird, and I wanted a Senegal especially and DISTANT b) maybe they would end up as friends, and if they didn't, at least they had similar body & beak sizes and wouldn't mortally wound each other.

b) didn't work out. They were not inclined to become friends, and because of MY carelessness Penny got Jack on the ankle. That was a lot of fun and a lot of $ for the e-vet visit. Jack was in a collar for his feather chewing at the time, so couldn't defend very well, but sometimes a healthy bird can be taken down with a lucky shot.

JME.

renaelock

Strolling the yard
Thank you for all of your replies. I agree with the fact that I should add to my flock for me and not for the hopes of birds becoming friends. I will admit, I was thinking more of what GeoG would want with this decision. I wouldn't mind having a senegal, however, I think I should focus on my dream bird so I don't run out of space before my red factor sun conure of 2010 is available to become part of my family. I am completely fine with none of my birds becoming friends - it is just a bummer that I won't be able to observe the adorable moments of them snuggling together and grooming each other. Life goes on. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.