• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Senegal Baby

Helinia

Moving in
Real Name
Heli
Hi everyone :)

He is 4 months old little Senegal. And i am wondering when he will get his first molt ? And i did read that male senegals butt feathers should be yellow :) is that true?
Or does it change after his first molt and gets the right colours.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Helinia

Moving in
Real Name
Heli
I hope someone knows. In my country theres not so many with these birds, so thought here is more people. Who know better than me :D
My little Uuno (hes name) is totally wonderful little bird. Loves to sit on my shoulders and head, loves head scratches.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
First molt @ 6-7 months of age, if I remember correctly. That's the juvenile molt.

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
Don't know if I WELCOMED you before? If not, then... :lol:
I'm not sure about the yellow tail feathers, even tho I used to raise the Senegal... [been a very long time tho]... They are dimorphic tho [color different between the male and female]... but thought that was the chest coloration difference.
The Senegal is one of my favorite birds!

Helinia

Moving in
Real Name
Heli
Hi :D And thanks for welcome.
I have been reading like crazy about Senegals and other Poicephalus parrots. And did come across this yellow vest and feathers thing, between male and female.
But since my Senegal is still a baby its too hard to tell, i think. But hes green feathers go all the way till between hes legs, and under the tail it is green too.
And since hes dna tested male, was wondering. All hes siblings were male too. :D Maybe i am just over thinking this feather thing, he looks like a girl alot. Yet :)

Attachments

Karearea

Meeting neighbors
Young, sexually dimorphic parrots tend to retain colors of one specific sex before switching after their first molt. Cockatiels, for example, tend to appear as females before fully maturing. That would be my guess as to what's happening here.

Hahns0hmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Adam
My senegal female is 4 yrs old had her since born april or so when I got her. first molt was november to december same yr. but after that it seems to happen in april to may every other time.