• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Senegal and GCC

DurgaRose

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emily
Can a Senegal and Green Cheek conure be out together at the same time? They do not seem too different in size...

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
There is quite a size difference between the two.

Green cheeks don't know they are small, and a Senegal is unlikely to back down. So it depends on the birds and their temperments.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Poi beaks are formidable...There head is almost half beak...Sure if they get along its fine but a conure is inquisitive & has no fear & could get hurt if he tries to mess with a poi...

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
I have a sennie and a quaker, and I have to constantly watch over them when they are both out at the same time. We had an incident a year or so ago where my sennie pierced a hole in the quaker's beak. Luckily, after a vet examination and some cream for the beak, the hole did not cause any problems and eventually grew out.

malibu

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maddie
I don't have either but if you did have them out at the same time, as with any pair of birds, I would just monitor them. I would also try to get them used to each other in neutral areas (ie not near their cages and in unfamiliar places) so that they don't feel defensive or territorial.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
I have a cockatiel, Nanday Conure (twice the size of a GCC) and a Senegal that are out together. I keep a camera on them and never let my guard down. My Senegal thinks she is huge and will never back down from a fight with the Conure, who can be grumpy. It is constant monitoring every few minutes. They won't fight if they know I'm watching! Naughty birdies.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I keep parrotlets and a plumhead. (similar size difference between your two..though both smaller parrots). Parrotlets are also too brave for their own good. I allow common flight and play with the whole flock from time to time, but it does require 100% supervision. Generally in a large enough space birds can fly away from things they don't want to be involved with. Multiple perching areas help. There is no guarantee that this will always be the case. When an accident does happen it can be fatal to the smaller birds. The most injuries I have ever really had have been via the cage. Parrotlet 1 lands on parrotlet 2's home and they bite each other..fiercely. Birds get injured very easily through cage bars because their toes and ankles are directly inline with the other bird's beak. Something that isn't as easy when they are perched and lunging at each other. There have been people in this forum with similarly sized birds and a bird lost their foot from being bit through cage cars.

My two parrotlets have squabbled during common play time, there have been feathers flying and screams. Though they are the same species and the damage was minimal. If a similar squabbled happened with a larger bird the parrotlet would have been killed.

Common play is possible, but there are many factors to consider. The bird's personality, the season (breeding season can be more emotional for all birdies), the space available, the amount of perching areas for birds to get some alone time if they want it. You must accept that their will be risk. You can do what you can to minimize it, but don't let your guard down. You will also need to make independent out time for each bird in the event that they can't get along. With my flock all birds get their own time out, common fly time is more of an event and my partner and I are both home to watch them. When they are flying together it is beautiful, they flock together and fly from one side of the house to the other. They are very motivated to fly with my plumhead and he LOVES flying so the whole flock gets an exercise routine.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
There is quite a size difference between the two.

Green cheeks don't know they are small, and a Senegal is unlikely to back down. So it depends on the birds and their temperments.
A senny is not afraid of anything. They'll stand their ground to the biggest of birds.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
My Senegal would even bully my amazon to the point of the amazon beeing utterly afraid and bleeding! The Senegal would just sit and watch her handywork very proudly.. oh my! I would never trust a Senegal with any other bird except for maybe a mate hehehehe

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I personally would not mix these two...