• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Selling used bird cages advice?

Phocyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
I’m planning to sell some of my old bird cages due to some very good upgrades. These are divided cages but at full measure are about 36 inches long. I’ve used them for my lovebirds and parakeets for a little over a year but want to set them to sell quickly. I plan to order some bundle toys and perches to go with them because two trays are cracked and I don’t have all the dishes. I think one cage may even have a bend in the bars. As I’ve been had before with used cages (paid nearly new prices for them) I’d like to offer them to local people at a good rate. I got the cages on eBay for 150 as a set. I plan to sell them individually or as pairs. The ones with damage will be cheaper then the ones with no damage. I just wonder what is fair? And what would you consider a fair price?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I would sell them as are without the added cost and effort (to you) of buying toys to go with them.
Personally, if I bought a used cage I would not be expecting or wanting toys to come with it.
If the trays are broken and can not be used or easily replaced then the amount I would ask would be very very minimal or I would simply choose not to sell if it was not safe for the animals it was designed for. I trash damaged cages so no irresponsible person puts animals in them. I will from now on in probably put my plants in my damaged cages as they look awesome, are protected from wildlife and also it ensures damaged cages are not used by others.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would also not try bother with a toy package. 30x18x18 flights go for $20-$30 each around me, no dishes or perches.

I try to price based on what I would be willing to buy it for. If I really don't know, it's usually 25-50% of retail. So if they were $75 each, considering the state of them, that falls into the $20-$30 amount above, max.

Another thing to consider is how long you'll have to keep them on hand if they don't sell quickly. I don't want to devote any area of my home anymore to things that are no longer being used because I think I might get an extra $10 out of it. That space in my home and head is not worth the extra $10.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have noticed that the asking price for used pet equipment, which was never very high, has further plummeted with the economy. I’d ask very little & hope to get something.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
I will from now on in probably put my plants in my damaged cages as they look awesome, are protected from wildlife and also it ensures damaged cages are not used by others.
I never thought about doing this. What a great idea! I usually donate used cages to a local rescue. We had our resident squirrel running off with tomatoes this year so may do this for the deck tomatoes next year with a couple of the cages I have left.
:thanks:

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I found Pippens flight cage mansion on Craigslist for 50 bucks in great shape. The owner offered to deliver it seeing how she had to make a dump run close by. After she heard the story of how I got Pippen she dropped it to 30 bucks because she was so happy a very deserving lost little bird was getting a awesome new house.
You could offer a similar type of deal and hopefully someone who really needs a decent cage for their new feathered friend will want it.
I have occasionally sent her updates about how much she likes and uses her house.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I never thought about doing this. What a great idea! I usually donate used cages to a local rescue. We had our resident squirrel running off with tomatoes this year so may do this for the deck tomatoes next year with a couple of the cages I have left.
:thanks:
I actually use Squeaks travel cage for new seedlings that need some protection from the sparrows lol. Cages with plants in them look seriously awesome and it is a great way to ensure rusted, round or small crappy cages don't house birds again.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I always buy used cages and have never had any issues with them ... you would be amazed how many people dont buy used I think its better than buying a new cage specially the big ones that can run hundreds of dollars ..I just bought a used cage for Rhaenyra for 200.00 earlier this week and she loves the bigger space ;)