• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Selling breeding stock

CaliEckies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I have bred dogs for 15+ years. I know when breeders are selling breeding adult candidates typically it’s due to temperament issues, health issues or inability to produce. Sometimes you get breeders who change their focus in their program of course. You get others who close their program. Or some who get overwhelmed with the numbers and have to place.
Being in southern Florida there are plenty of “viable proven breeding pairs” for sale. Since bands aren’t 100% reliable and many have no rings do you assume their are placing due to my first set of reasons like dogs or What do you commonly find?
I spoke to a few Grey breeders and they mentioned their wait lists are 20-30 deep in other breeders/ hand feeding people waiting on their birds. I can’t image a healthy producing pair would be sold :huh:

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
If I had to guess (and this is literally just guessing, I don't know diddly squat about bird breeding), I would think it could be

1) The breeder is lying and the breeding pair isn't producing viable clutches like they're claiming.

2) The breeding pair are "bad parents" and either neglect or kill the babies.

3) The pair is, like you said, full of behavior and/or genetic issues.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would look at the scope of the breeder. Are they a large breeder with a long wait list? An accidental breeder who doesn't want to deal with the birds anymore? A backyard breeder who would benefit from being untruthful?

I think the reasons are probably as varied for breeders as they are for a normal home. Life happens. Situations change. Some aren't cut out for it. And sure, maybe sometimes a breeding bird just isn't compatible for whatever reason.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
There are multiple reasons, both positive and negative.
  • a novice often won't give breeding enough time and decide to get out & get their money back
  • an unscrupulous breeder might try to unload birds that aren't viable (age, reproductive issues)
  • some people attempt to pawn off sick birds
  • a breeder might sell a pair because they're overwhelmed with babies
  • the economy and rising costs of care might force someone to sell

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
All good reasons above, interesting to read. In my country parrots aren’t in such high demand and lots of people breed just aviary birds and refuse hand raising. Some people like to switch up what species they breed. After years of amazons might switch to macaws for example. Also, some birds don’t do well with certain settings like other birds within vision and need adjusted enclosures. But usually if there is a honest reason wouldn’t they state that? I don’t know tons about breeding but know in my country it is very common for Grey breeding pairs offered for sale to have something ‘wrong’ with them to not be good breeders As opposed to other species. Maybe you could ado around to figure if it is the same in America.
Also, some breeding pairs may not be dna tested and my be two males or females. Another reason that is often the cause for sale is a pair being too loud for the environment the breeder lives in, or neighbours complain.
Good breeders may have proof to show you their babies, some even have cameras in the nest box so you could ask for proof like that? If they are being shady I would be cautious if you are interested in a pair:)

CaliEckies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Thanks guys - I wish everyone was honest but that isn’t life. I think I’ll work with a local breeder to see if they will meet me at our avian Vet and I will have them scoped, blood drawn, examined for parasites etc - If they are being honest they have nothing to worry about.

Matto

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
I've bought plenty of proven pairs in the past - with mixed results. My advice is: unless you trust the breeder and have a relationship with them, don't do it. There's just too many liars. If you do it, make sure the birds are closed banded with the year on the band. The exception is when a breeder is selling many pairs, in which case they're probably reducing or closing their breeding operation.