• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

"Self-Tamed" Cockatiels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
This thread technically begins from another thread
http://forums.avianavenue.com/budgie-boulevard/45246-experiment-budgies.html

I can't recall when, but sometime after I had been feeding the budgies by hand, one of my hand-raised but not worked with tiels (at the time) was also interested in this same behavior. I suppose I should start out by introducing the cockatiels!

Current flock is as follows
Casey - 9 going on 10 year old hand-raised tiel, loves scritches. She is a cinnamon pearl pied. I've had her since November 2001 when she was 5 months old
Pistachio & Kiwio - the pair, 13+ years old. Kiwi is a whiteface hen, Pistachio is a normal male. I've had the pair since November of 2005.
Tomi Girl - pied hen of unknown age. I've had her since May 2006
Faye - normal hen of unknown age, came to me December 2007

In 2007, prior to getting Faye, I also had Kirby (normal male) and Sunshine (pearl hen), and at the time, they were 7 years old. Both are the offspring of Pistachio and Kiwi, hand-raised and at one time tame, but not worked with in years. I believe this part actually starts out after rehoming Kirby in 2007 but prior to taking in Faye.

Every morning I go in to feed the birds and to interact with them. That is, I feed the little guys, Casey flies on over to me, I give her scritches, and I would interact with the conures (only one now). It was pretty much set in stone. Things wouldn't happen the same way every day, but it was just about guaranteed a routine. Well, one day, Casey (or so I had thought) landed on the back of my hoody, and instead of coming on over for scritches, flew off again. I thought that was rather odd.... then I realized, it wasn't Casey! It was Sunshine!

A few days later, Sunshine repeated this behavior, only landing in a different spot, and I knew it was her because I could clearly see her. And once again, she didn't stay! After having her for a couple of years, this was extremely strange behavior she was showing, since she had never done this before. I couldn't understand what she was asking, or perhaps demanding. Then I thought about it, and realized that this behavior had *always* occurred while I was refreshing the food dishes... I decided to offer her some food from my hand... and *BING* - it was like a light-bulb had gone off!

Stupid me, once I figured out what she wanted, she came to expect this! So the mornings now included feeding the birds, giving Casey scritches, and feeding Sunshine from whatever perch she was at. Over time, she got up enough confidence to fly to my hand to eat... and then we have this video.

In 2008, I was in contact with a family looking for a bird, and they had had some previous bird experience. By this time, I had been feeding Sunshine for quite a while, and a few days before Sunshine went to her new home (they said they were quite happy with Sunshine!), Faye, the newest tiel to the flock, started copying Sunshine. Faye was very hesitant and unsure about asking for food, but she was interested nevertheless! She didn't exactly get "serious" with this interaction until Sunshine had left.

Anyway, I take it that Faye has been watching my interactions with Sunshine and Casey. I was feeding the birds this morning, and at the specific time I was giving Noel her food, I saw Faye fly to the top of Noel's cage and watch what I was doing (I've seen her intently watching me before, interacting with the other birds). This is the same behavior (or rather similar) to what Sunshine was doing when she started begging me to be handfed, but at the time I didn't understand what she wanted! So I take care of all the birds, then put some seed in my hand, and both Sunshine and Faye are interested! Faye is on a hanging branch, and Sunshine is in the corner on the hoop ball. Put seed in both hands, and Sunshine flew to my hand to eat, as per usual. Faye seems to get a little ansty, and so I put my hand up to one of the branches to the hanging perch, and Faye walks around closer to me, moving back and forth, not sure what to do. During this time, I'm watching Sunshine so I had my head turned away from Faye, but could still see her out of the corner of my eye. She then moves to where my hand is, pecks it, and runs off.... only to return, decide its safe enough, and starts eating! After a moment Casey flew over to see what was up, and decided isntead of demanding scritches (which I wouldn't have been able to give her anyway...), she joined Sunshine on my left hand to eat.

Quickly ran out of seeds in my hands, so added a bit more and Sunshine ate some more while I gave Casey scritches... had some in both hands, and offered it again to Faye, who was still unsure but wanted to eat from my hand still... after going back and forth on the hanging branch she finally decided to eat... at this point I only had Casey with me. She was doing just fine until Sunshine flew to the same perch, and was interested in eating more from my hand... at which point, Faye went and chased Sunshine off, then came back to me for a few more nibbles.

This was the first video showing Faye wanting to eat, but also quite unsure about the entire ordeal.

The next quote is another cross-post after having had Faye for a year.

......I ended up getting busy with other stuff so couldn't continue feeding Faye and she didn't persist on the subject so we pretty much stopped the activity. Well, this morning, as per usual, getting everyone their food, let Casey out of Noel's [cherry headed conure, RIP] cage (since Casey decided to sleep with Noel last night), and there's Faye who seems to be following me but I can't be sure. When I'm near the food station, and Casey is on me getting scritches, Faye flies over to the next closest area which is a boing, and she keeps traveling up and down it as if she wants something. Then she flies off to another area.

I put some seed in my hand, which Casey notices and starts eating it. I then extend my arm out so that the back of my palm rests at the bottom of the boing... thus in this way, Faye can land on the boing, travel down, and eat with Casey! Sounds like a good plan, righ? :dance: But no, instead, Faye decides to do something she's never done before! :doh: She lands on my arm and travels up to my hand to go eat! Then a few minutes later, Tomi Girl follows and lands near my shoulder. She didn't stay long, but I got some seeds in my other hand, and offered her that at her perch, where-in she ate a couple bites and was done!

Meanwhile, Casey and Faye pretty much finish off the seeds, with Casey, once she had her fill, took flight over Faye from my hand to my arm, to get some more scritches. Once Faye is all out of seed, she takes off to a nearby perch. I put a little more food in my hand and put near the boing. Faye lands on the boing again, climbs down, snags a couple bites, and I remove my hand a few inches away, indicating if she wanted more she would have to fly to my hand. She wasn't too sure, but she flew anyway! :boogie: So she lands on my hand again, and eats a little more!

Guess this is her way of saying she wants some more one on one interaction, although she's not quite ready for anything more personal! And to say the least, she's an untame cockatiel that I've never tried taming! So this is completely done by her choice! And although she's not tame, she is a sweet bird! :angel:

*continued in next post*

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
(cross-post - end of 2010)

---------------------------

Faye is no longer hesitant, and has in fact become quite confident - except when the little flying blue pest is around! (aka budgie/Normie/Norman) :lol: Here's a much more recent video that shows how eager she was to fly to my hand - and yes, she already had food to eat! She'll even climb over the food dishes (full of fresh food) to get to my hand to eat! :rolleyes: In this video, she eagerly flies to my hands and starts munching away. About 20 seconds in, Casey flies to my shoulder (might be able to hear the wing flaps), and at 55 seconds, the little blue pest flew to a perch near at hand - which I think upset Faye enough for her to fly off. Of course, the little pest doesn't actually eat any of this food (Zupreem natural - used as treats! :p , she just tosses it around! :rolleyes: Anyway, here's the video!

The birds were recently boarded for about 5 weeks at the local bird store, which has left Faye quite upset, and she had become quite antsy... in the mean time, I had also started feeding Tomi Girl by hand. Tomi Girl refuses to get onto my hand, let alone fly, but she *will* reach as far as she can to get some food! Doesn't matter if it's seeds, millet or pellets! She 'asks' to be fed some mornings by sitting at a particular perch, but she will accept being fed from where-ever she's sitting. If the food is not within her grasp, she will scold me and move off... so it continues from here!

Faye is still quite unsure about everything that's happened, and wasn't interested in the food when I first offered her some from my hand, so I offered it to Tomi Girl who ate some. I then offered Faye the food again, and she was undecided. You could tell she wanted some, she was looking at the food in my hand, would inch closer, then change her mind and back off... only to repeat this a couple of times! Finally, she compromised by sitting on a dish (filled with food) and eating out of my hand (right next to said dish). She'd take a pellet, drop it into the dish of food, then proceed to eat it. After she was done, she grabbed another! She only took a couple before deciding that was enough for her and retreating. So she's slowly coming around, surprised even she took some food from me today!

Brought out the millet, which I haven't done since coming back! [Gone from Jan 25th-March 2nd]

Well, I'll start out by saying that Tomi Girl is *fine*, yes, fine, with flying to a dish to eat out of, if I'm holding it. However, if it's my hand, NO WAY! Goofy girl! A couple of shots of Tomi Girl taken yesterday! [March 11th]

So today, I recalled that I still had a stick (or two) of millet spray, so I grab one, nipped off about an inch of the end, and proceeded into the bird room. I went for Tomi Girl (she used to not know what millet was! sure, it was in the cage, but it wasn't food!) and managed to get her to put a foot just slightly onto my hand to eat the millet. She was quite clearly uncomfortable with the idea, and after Faye and Pistachio came around, abandoned the idea of sticking around for more food!

Faye, still all over the place, not being able to hold still, actually decided that it was safe enough to touch my hand, and after flying off (aka being chased away by another tiel), was even comfortable enough to fly onto my arm (a short hop, more like it) to eat millet. She was all over the place, running on over, running off, coming back, getting food, having to leave, etc! Millet: The Miracle Food!

Pistachio not only put a foot (all the way, not partially like Tomi Girl) onto my hand, but had both feet on my hand! The second time around, with more millet, he even stepped up onto my hand, without my hand having to touch a perch! He's my wildest cockatiel, and thus least trusting, but he sure was quite demanding of his millet! He wasn't completely comfortable with the idea, and would back off every now and then, but once he got started eating millet, he wasn't going anywhere! He has been trying to imitate Tomi Girl in eating from me, but being so uncomfortable around me, usually tends to fly off before he gets any food - and sometimes he's been brave enough to eat from my hand so long as it was within easy reach. Millet though, well, that has changed things!

Kiwi didn't get in on the action, but clearly wanted to (hogs!) and Casey (aka hog) was standing on my right hand eating away at the millet (the hand that held it), while Faye and Pistachio were on my left arm, also eating the millet! Tomi Girl didn't come back for more. Next time, I think I'll need to close Casey up so I can work with the others! :lol:

For todays pictures... [yesterday] went in with the millet once again! I put Casey in a cage, so she wouldn't be hogging out on the millet! (she got some later, but preferred scritches this time!). Tomi Girl, at first, was having none of it. She wanted the millet, but was bothered by the birds, so of course flew off... so we started with Faye!

Faye happily 'jumped aboard'!

And Pistachio in the background...

Pistachio wanted to join in, but being he's the most skittish, wasn't comfortable flying on over (although I have noticed he's been following me around the room, has even tried coming in for a landing, but he's just not comfortable with me!). He kept flying off to a perch, coming back, flying off again, etc. When he flew to one perch, I went in and offered him millet (after having Faye get off long enough to have some left over!), and he was quite unsure at first, but he was willing! So after a few nibbles, then tempting him on over, he happily came aboard for food!

Surprisingly, he was comfortable with me slowly moving about, back to the feeding station... and of course, Faye was ready for round two! (she got a bit more after Pistachio had a fair amount himself)

Then it was back to Tomi Girl! She would STRETCH as far as possible to reach that millet

Since I had the camera with me, I couldn't really train her 'right' to be more accepting of my 'god-forsaken' flesh that must not be touched! And if that millet was too far away to reach, oh well!

So being that I had the camera, and couldn't do this correctly, I just kind of nudged her in the 'direction'... not good on my part, she gave me a good scolding, then begrudgingly stepped up onto my arm.... but oh wait! Millet! :rolleyes:

No real updates for today, as I was in a bit of a rush. I did feed the tiels by hand, but only just a tiny bit! I do know I need to pick up some more millet! :D Will have to continue later!

Last edited:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Isn't it wonderful when they decide they want to interact with you. I kept most of the babies my cockatiels Chip and Grace hatched and I allowed them to raise them, only handfeeding the last clutch. The babies were handled while small but then became kind of wild after fledging. Over the course of the next two or three months the babies would tame themselves. It was always a special day when one of them landed on me for the first time asking for whatever I had in my hand at the time. Congrats on your new tame flock.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Lois, yes it is! I'm amazed with how quickly they are coming around, particularly Pistachio, who isn't the tamest in the least! And one o the oldest! Tomi Girl has been a long time in working, because she used to be friendly and enjoy human interaction, even asked for it, then one day decided she wanted nothing to do with me! I was puzzled, but couldn't blame her - at first, any interact with her was forced due to her previous home, and my worry and concern over her. I was a bit surprised when she initiated interaction again, even if it was non-physical. Now? Wow! Today is just full of surprises!

This morning, I went for Tomi Girl. She was interested in the millet, but saw that finger coming (to rest upon the same perch as her), and she made sure to give that finger a good scolding! Casey came around, so caged her up with the budgie. Pistachio and Faye were in the background ready to come up for food! I put my hand out flat, and this worked for Tomi Girl, she put a little of both feet onto my fingers and ate away - stretching her neck out! Couldn't get her to come any closer. That's fine, little steps! Or so I thought...

Then Pistachio came in, kind of shoved Tomi Girl out of the way (simply by his presence, hissed at her a little, even, with her hissing and mock biting back - not pleased!). Pistachio happily got onto my hand and started eating away. Faye ran around, couldn't figure out whether she should jump onto my arm to eat, or shove Pistachio out of the way... so I 'helped' by getting Pistachio onto my arm, which allowed space for Faye, and she kind of got onto my hand. After those two ate a bit, I took the food away and gave some to Tomi Girl. Meanwhile, Kiwi is in the background wanting some too, but not wanting to bother the other tiels! :rolleyes: Surprisingly, Pistachio waited for me to bring the millet back to him, then he and Faye continued eating.

Once they both had their fair share, had both get off, and went back to Tomi Girl. This time, she was actually willing to get onto my hand all the way, both feet, and to eat away! She was happily eating away, making a big mess on the back of my hand, when Pistachio decided he hadn't had enough, and 'scared' Tomi Girl further up my hand, and to my arm! Quite displeased with Pistachio's rudeness, she gave him a good scolding! Too bad I got the blunt of it all! It was all that hissing and mock biting directed *AT* Pistachio, but Tomi Girl used my arm as her 'spot' to display off to Pistachio... He pretty much ignored her, and with feet slightly on my hand, started eating... and eventually, Tomi Girl did as well! Once there wasn't much left, I gave that to Kiwi, but Faye, being a hog, got most of the left-overs!

Which left me with Tomi Girl once Pistachio moved off... I tried putting her 'at' the feeding station, but she wouldn't step off me (it was behind her), then I tried her original perch, and for a moment, she still wouldn't get off me! :lol: Eventually, she did, then I took Casey out and gave her scritches!

During this entire time, I had Charlie on my shoulder, although at one point he did move down to my arm, but not past my elbow. (he's not 'little bird' friendly)

Last edited:

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
I'm so glad that your tiels are opening up to you and beginning to trust you!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I think today (March 27th), we may have had not one, but two "miracles"!

I started off this morning by trying to feed Kiwi first. Strangely enough, she's become the most hesitant one about stepping up onto my hand, let alone touching me. She will, if she's on the floor, but from a perch? Nah! She did yesterday, but she wasn't entirely comfortable with the idea. So she ate some food, but wouldn't get onto my hand, no biggy.

Then Faye and Pistachio came around. First Faye, eating the food, and even hopping onto my hand, no big deal. Pistachio comes to the other side and joins her - only for Casey, who had flown to my shoulder, to walk down my right arm, down to my hand, and start eating the millet as well! Faye was being a bit snobby with the millet and didn't like sharing with Casey, so there were some squabbles. Tomi Girl stayed in the background while Faye and Pistachio ate intermittently, along with Casey. When Kiwi had moved to another area, I offered her some more millet, which she happily ate, and Faye, being a little brat, quarreled with Kiwi over the millet! In fact, Faye was being such a brat, that Pistachio started getting in on the same behavior and squabbling with Faye!

Tomi Girl finally flew over, so I had everyone (except Casey - she to my shoulder) get 'down', and I then tried feeding Tomi Girl... however, by this time, there was basically nothing left, but she still stepped up onto my hand and looked through the remains for any tidbits! I was surprised she was willing to even do that! Then Casey came down, and "nudged" Tomi Girl away, while she looked through the leftovers! Since there was nothing left, I emptied my hands.

At this point, I was refilling the dishes, and while this was occurring, Pistachio flew over towards the dishes, but decided not to land. Instead, he flew down to the floor to see what he could scrounge up. Meanwhile, I put some seed into my hands and re-offered my hand to Tomi Girl, whom, surprisingly, stepped up all on her own! And she resumed eating! I was surprised to see that she's finally getting comfortable enough with me to once again step onto my hand for food. If this wasn't enough, Pistachio, after realizing there were no goodies to be had on the floor, flies up from the floor and directly into my hand! In the process, he scared Tomi Girl off, but him?!?!?! An older, skittish bird, that has no trust in humans, all of a sudden flying directly into my hand of his own accord? I was astonished, to say the least! After he had his fill, he took off, but I'm still surprised because I didn't think he was "ready" for that step, flying to me. I hadn't pushed him into doing anything more than a really short hop from his perching spot to my hand, and all of a sudden, he decides I'm okay to fly to! I wasn't even expecting this behavior for a couple more weeks!

As it is, Pistachio, Faye and Tomi Girl kind of follow me around the room now, with Casey flying to me waiting for either goodies or scritches! What I find funny is that a previous person who had tried interacting with Faye (prior to me acquiring her) said she was a mean bird because they tried to handle her, and she bit them! And I doubt anyone would have thought that Pistachio would be as comfortable with humans as he's appearing to be! Don't get me wrong, he's still skittish and unsure, but it's still more than I ever expected of him!

(after this, Tomi Girl hasn't stepped up again, unless it's onto a dish or the cup I use to dispense food with... no matter, I'm sure she's still having a hard time getting accustomed to all this! Pistachio continues to fly to my hand, and has gotten quite shovey about getting *his* food! )

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Monica, I can't tell you how interested I am to read this. I think you've found something you're really good at! Please keep your observations coming. As Spock would say, (fascinating)!!!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
April 4th

Tomi Girl is back to not wanting to step up. I somewhat attribute this to the fact that she has been handled too much at first, against her will, so she's finding it hard to readjust to accepting handling on her own.

Pistachio has tried landing on me 3 times... and each time, the spot he tried landing at was exactly where Casey was at! (my right shoulder). In fact, one of those attempts may have been successful, if not for the fact that Casey was already there! She gave him a good squealing of displeasure! This morning however, I actually held out my arm for him (no food in my hands) and after a bit of indecision, flew to my arm. I promptly got some seed and gave him some food! He even stayed put when I quickly removed the food to better reposition my hand for feeding. After I removed the food for good (running late!) and he knew it was 'gone', he took off. In comparison to Tomi Girl, I've hardly handled Pistachio!

Faye also came and 'visited' with me while I was medicating two of the birds. Faye had flown over to the shelf where I keep the food at, and explored around while waiting for me. She was interested in the bright red caps of the bottles, and in the syringes, but she *did not* like the taste of the meds, that I guess she got in her mouth! She happily even jumped into the pellet container once I had it opened to refresh the food dishes! Silly Girl!

--------------------------------------------

Yesterday, Pistachio hovered and flew over my head. I could feel the air movement as he stirred up my hair! He tried landing on me a few times, but didn't manage to... Until I went to medicate Kiwi (his mate), and he did land on my arm, temporarily (or until Kiwi tried to take flight, and I had to move to try and catch her, and Pistachio took off again).

I had to bring out the millet (had to go to the other room with Casey and Kiwi to retrieve said millet - Pistachio, at this time, did try flying after me, but stayed behind) to try and get Kiwi to consume her meds, instead of holding it in her mouth and waiting to spit it out, which sort of worked... after I was done giving meds to Kiwi, I allowed her to back at the gym. During this time, Casey was all over me trying to go after the millet. I tried "hiding" the millet, and Casey still managed to get to it! :hehe:

I was at the shelves of food while Casey was on a lower shelf, nibbling away at the millet, when I felt a 'light being' land on my left shoulder. I turned to look and noticed it was Pistachio, who finally landed on my shoulder, without any other bird being on me, and without me asking or bribing him in any way! :dancing: I reached down, took the millet from Casey, and promptly gave to Pistachio, who waited long enough to receive his reward!

I allowed him to eat some of the millet before taking it away and putting it in a better spot, while I put the meds back in the fridge. Of course, Pistachio took off when he realized the millet was gone for good. Once I got back, I took the millet back out and fed Casey and Pistachio at their feeding station, and Tomi Girl came over to eat some food as well. I offered her some millet which she was happy to eat! And I then lured her onto my hand with the millet, and she happily ate away with Casey and Pistachio.... that is, until I removed the millet, and Tomi Girl realized that oh my! She's on my hand! :omg: This was such a terrible act, on my part, that my hand promptly received several retributions! And when she scooted back, and was *still* on my hand, yes I received even further punishment for my bad act! :rofl:

Lesson learned... if she does not step onto my hand willingly (including being lured on), I better be willing to lure her back off, or else I will be punished "severely" for such terrible trickery on my behalf!

:oops2:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
This morning was interesting!

Faye has decided to walk around near me while I medicate the bourke and Kiwi. She might fly down to the floor several feet away from me, but then wanders on over! She's discovered that when the other tiels eat millet, some 'extras' fall to the floor, and she eats it up! :rolleyes:

Casey was on my shoulder for most of the time, until it came to medicating Kiwi, and I brought out the millet to try and help the meds go down. Kiwi is *not* happy with having to be put through this torture, and dislikes it more each time.... meds twice a day, for a minimum of two weeks. Well, the millet brought Casey down in my lap, waiting for her share, or trying to get to the millet! Shortly afterwards, Pistachio, surprisingly, flew into my lap, and stayed there the entire time I was giving Kiwi her meds (an antibiotic, a pain med, and Vetri-DMG), and happily munched away at the millet when I 'tried' giving some to Kiwi (and of course, Casey was *all* over it! :lol: )

Tomi Girl got some millet from the hoop ball, but since I was not only running late, but it was snowing, I didn't get to spend much time with her (or Faye, for that matter). There were 3 reports of accidents, and we saw one (not in the reports) prior to even getting to the highway... an overturned truck. On the way to work, we saw one of the reported accidents, another overturned truck that, if not for the guard rail, would have ended up in the south bound lane (truck was apparently heading north bound).

Can't wait for the weekend!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
It's been a few weeks now since the entire flock has gone on a pellet diet with very little seeds. The cockatiels are not overly happy with this, but are eating just fine. I *think* that Tomi Girl figured out that for the time being, the *only* place that seeds are coming from is from me, so she's taken to not only stepping onto my hand, but also flying! However, being as I only have 2 hands, and at least 4 tiels trying to eat out of my hands, there tends to be some bickering going on! Faye has decided to start eating from my hands again, but she seems to have some sort of 'aloof' attitude going on. Well, as much as a cockatiel interested in something can look 'uninterested' in it! She comes over to the food shelf when I medicate Kiwi and the bourke. Faye will just wander around on the shelf, checking things out but acting as if I'm not even around... but she's clearly there because of me! Or she'll wander around on the floor, walking around my feet, yet again acting if I'm not there! If I move, she quickly wobbles a short distance away, then slowly makes her way back over... :roll:

Tomi Girl can most often hold her own, but when she's up against Pistachio, she tends to back off or go elsewhere, unless she doesn't feel like moving at all... so here's a video from April 24th!

Status
Not open for further replies.