• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Self Mutilator - Best Topical Cream?

KatieKess

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Katie
Hi!

My cockatiel Marvin is a self mutilator. he’s been tested for multiple things, been to the vets 7 times, and they cannot figure out what’s causing this. He only mutilates one spot on his back, but he has days where it is really bad to the point that all he does is bite himself and squeal. I am worried sick about my baby. i’ve been trying everything, and now i’m thinking of trying a topical skin cream, I need to use one that would be considered safe if he accidentally eats, as he’s not in a collar/cone. he does very poorly with a collar). The one i’m looking at is Medihoney (I read that someone else has used this with their self mutilator in the past.) but I wanted to make sure, or if there’s any out there that are better- please let me know! thank you in advance. I just want to help my baby stop this horrible habit :(

Attachments

KatieKess

Real Name
Katie
By the way- he has just had a spray bath in the photos. His feathers are not greasy! just wet! :)

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My boy Opie is a plucker and occasionally self-mutilates. I’ve never used a cream on him because he would just lick/eat it off. I do put him in a collar, which he hates…but I have to keep him away from it. It’s a 3-layer no-pill fleece petal collar. Opie’s spot is on his chest. It’s just the first place he can reach when he drops his head down.

I wish I had some brilliant ideas to share! I’m sorry you are going through this with your feathered friend!

04008E1A-2360-4FEA-AD30-3F91869473C1.jpeg

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I like that collar! Do you have a link to it?
It doesn't look too restraining, and gives them something to preen.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It is unusual for cockatiels to become pluckers.

Looks like he´s just picking at the wound there. Have you tried using a soft collar on him? Hopefully the collar will stop him from picking at the scab, and it will heal.
My lovebird had a similar issue, and the medicine he took worked somewhat but as he kept picking, I had no choice but to collar him for a few days until it healed.

Definitely look into one of these soft collars in the posts above.

KatieKess

Real Name
Katie
It is unusual for cockatiels to become pluckers.

Looks like he´s just picking at the wound there. Have you tried using a soft collar on him? Hopefully the collar will stop him from picking at the scab, and it will heal.
My lovebird had a similar issue, and the medicine he took worked somewhat but as he kept picking, I had no choice but to collar him for a few days until it healed.

Definitely look into one of these soft collars in the posts above.
yes he was actually in a collar for over a month at one point, and it had healed completely! but as soon as we took the collar off, he started back up and recreated the wound right there in the same spot. he’s very persistent with it. and exactly he does not pluck, it’s only that one spot! he’s been to the vet 7 times… and tried a few meds and collars and nothing seems to work. he does awful with the collar too :( he becomes so depressed and just sits on the bottom of his cage. I can hardly stand seeing him in the collar. I just don’t know what to do… I’ve tried so many things :(

KatieKess

Real Name
Katie
does anyone know if the medihoney gel would be a safe/good idea? that’s about the only idea I have right now :( my poor buddy just will not stop with this mutilation, he’s currently on a calming supplement as well it that definitely doesn’t work too well.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Has he had any oral pain releif?
What type of collar has he had in the past?

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I like that collar! Do you have a link to it?
It doesn't look too restraining, and gives them something to preen.
It’s a collar made by a client of my vet’s office. I also have used it as a template and sew my own :)

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Is the neck elastic? or does it fasten shut?'
Is it a collar that can be pulled off, is I guess what I'm wondering.
And what is safer, one that can be pulled off, or one that fits snugly.
Just curious in case my Goffin ever goes beyond feather damage.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The collars I have fasten closed with velcro. That way, if they ever get caught, they will come undone so as not to strangle the bird. When I place it on him, I make sure I can fit a finger between his neck and the collar. If it is too loose, he will simply slip it over his head! You can see here how frustrated he is when in it, and he will use one foot to try to slip it off.

And yes, he is like a toddler having a fit here :xflove:

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@KatieKess I’m sorry for the digression! I wish I knew some topical treatment. Have you searched for a holistic vet in your area? That type of vet has traditional veterinary training but is also trained in holistic healing practices. He or she might have some ideas that you haven’t tried yet.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Has he had stays done?

The_Mayor

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martha
I'd look for something that's specifically formulated or approved for birds.

Also, and you may have done this already, so apologies if so. It sounds like this has become a combination of a habit and maybe something that's releasing endorphins for him. Is it possible to consult with an avian behaviorist to see if there's some way to retrain that habit into something that isn't self-destructive?

I don't say that like I think it's easy. I know many of our members have struggled, with mixed success, to redirect self-destructive behavior.

I can see that behavior modification including a salve, either to make his preferred spot less itch, if that's part of it, or less satisfying to pick at, but if he's going back at it even after it had healed, it may take more than that to break the cycle.

Important disclaimer: I'm very much of a newbie. I could be totally wrong.

KatieKess

Real Name
Katie
thank you everyone, i’m going to look into trying a soft collar for him. any suggestions on how to actually get the collar on him? he HATES wearing a collar and when he sees it coming he flips out, starting flying around, just won’t let me put it on. Even once I get him securely in my hand so that he can’t fly away, he will twist and bend his neck to avoid me getting the collar on him. I have quite the difficult little guy. :(

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Unfortunately, as much as it pains us to distress our birds, it is sometimes necessary for their own benefit. Like doing what is best for your human child is sometimes what they *don't* want. For me, I just have to put on my big girl pants and deal.

Opie won't sit still passively while I put the collar on him--I have to towel him, and he fights me hammer and tongs. What I have found to be helpful is to prepare myself for how I can best get the collar on him. I hold the collar so that I can slip the hole over his head with the velcro tabs to the back of his neck. Then I use one hand and a few fingers from the other to close the velcro tab securely and check that there is one-finger's worth of room between the collar and his neck. I say a few fingers of the other hand because I have to keep a hold of him or he will get away--and then it's a rodeo!

It is painful for me to cause my birds this kind of stress, and I try to keep it as brief as possible. Maybe some day I can train him to accept the collar going on and off, but he is a 'no touch' bird.