• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Self-mutilation

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
This is probably going to be a very difficult question to answer as I am looking for a deeper analysis, ie a deeper look into the thought process of a bird who plucks and then goes to the extreme and self-mutilates. I am curious what every one believes is the ultimate drive for this behavior.

Yes yes, we know the main environmental factors that drive this. Cage, attention, diet, health, enrichment, etc. Please dont answer with these recommendations. That is not the purpose of this question. I want to try to dive deeper. What do you believe drives a parrot to the extreme of self-mutilation?

This is most likely a very wrong comparison and I have no supporting material to base this claim, but I guess we could possibly equate this behavior to severe depression in humans leading to similar behavior and ultimately attempted suicide. This is probably an extreme case, and I don't actually believe this is the birds well thought out end goal, but I can see some similarities.

What have some of your vets told you and/or what have some of you personally experienced? Does anyone have any opinions on this behavior?

NC28

Checking out the neighborhood
My lovebird always chews on her foot and nails aggressively. I think she does this whenever I handle her because she's still very afraid of me.