• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Self mutilation on tail

Lori:D

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Zoe
So this is my probably about 30 week old black capped conure squiggles. He’s on a diet of pellets and daily veggies (thanks to his amaaaaazing breeder) before I went on holidays for 2 weeks he was doing a very small amount of tail mutalation (idk how to spell it) on his tail but I didn’t really notice it that much. I’ve just left him at a pet resort for 2 weeks while I went on holiday and turns out he’s done it quite a lot. I’ve just brought him home and he seems to be quite calm but stinky like sour so I just spent some time with him then put him back in his cage with some calming music since our neighbours have just started jack hammering (eek)
What should I do? He hasn’t had his wellness checkup yet since we’ve been on holiday and the vet only works Tuesday - Wednesday and I have school. I could try the other vet but she’s not as good. I think I’ll wait a week to see if he starts to recover but I’m quite scared 1500DAD2-DDBA-40D7-978B-37EAA163C411.jpeg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If your bird smells sour and is chewing up it’s tail then I’d think the sooner you have the wellness check the better.

Would you like your title fixed?

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Zoe
If your bird smells sour and is chewing up it’s tail then I’d think the sooner you have the wellness check the better.

Would you like your title fixed?
Yes please
Also he also smelt like that when we got him but after a bath he was fine and has never smelt since

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Zoe
Yes please
Also he also smelt like that when we got him but after a bath he was fine and has never smelt since
Update: I just gave him a bath and he doesn’t smell at all-
Weird