• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Self-Enrichment?

brebbo

Moving in
Hello,
I have had my tiel for a few months now and he is starting to bond with me. However, I have a slight issue with him being completely inactive when he's put away in his cage. He stays on the same perch for most of the day and only moves to be let out of his cage or to eat. He just sits there in the same spot for hours at a time. I have toys and several perches in there and I have tried showing him how to play but he doesn't seem to pick it up. I rotate the toys and try new ones. The problem is, I think this is the first time he's been introduced to toys since he used to live in a tiny cage with a single perch before I got him. I don't think he is sick because he is still active when I let him out of his cage (explores and does his own thing) I am not asking for him to be an absolute toy alcoholic but I want him to be able to entertain himself when I can't be around him. Any ideas??

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Here are my tips :)

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Have you tried showing him his toys outside the cage? My tiel first interacted with his toys outside the cage and now deos inside the cage. I would also start with some very soft like balsa or sola, or make a small easy foraging toy.

brebbo

Moving in
Yes, I have tried that and he does peck at his toys for a bit but quickly loses interest and just sits there doing nothing again. I will buy more toys later on and try them out. He doesn't seem to know that he is supposed to destroy the toy though.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
He has no other bird to play with I guess. So you have to show him how. Put lots of foraging toys on a table with him right there to watch you play. Birds learn from other birds and maybe humans. Also try playing the sounds of cockatiels singing from you tube as you do this. Spark his interest, He just needs your guidance since there are no other birds.

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Small pecking is good, all progress starts somewhere. You just need to keep encouraging it and hide his favorite treat in there. And try encouraging one toy at a time.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
food is a big motivation for mine. I use veggies as foraging . I weave millet in stuff or bury in shredded paper or put in those rubber balls with holes so they really have to work to get.

My neighbors tiel loves to destroy popsicle stick, playing cards, and those braided cage weavers that come in a roll and you weave in bars