• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Self Cleaning Oven- when is it safe?

Snickerdoo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Evelyn
I'm sorry for any typos or rushed writing, I'm a bit worried for Leaf.
This is entirely my fault. I was baking and forgot about fumes, and out of laziness and convenience I turned on self cleaning mode. 15 minutes later I came to my senses and turned it off. The windows in the kitchen were open when the cycle was running and are still open. Leaf lives in my bedroom, which is upstairs and as far away from the kitchen as it can be. I've opened my bedroom window too. I'm keeping a close eye on him for dizzyness/breathing problems. He's acting fine, responding to flock calls, climbing his cage walls etc.
When is it safe for me to stop monitoring him? Is there a period of time after which I can safely assume the danger has passed?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I think he will be fine since he is so far away, and in 15 minutes, your oven probably didn’t get that hot. Just continue to monitor him for the rest of the day.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Next time you need to clean your oven, sprinkle some baking soda, and spritz with vinegar, or hot water, less smell, but both are safe let it set a while then scrub, hope your baby is ok..

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
The effects of toxic fumes such as self-cleaning ovens and non-stick cookware are very acute. Onset of symptoms is typically quite rapid and birds will go downhill fast. If Leaf isn't showing symptoms and is behaving normally, it's unlikely that you will see any ill effects. That said, keep the windows open and make sure the house airs out well before closing up again.

Snickerdoo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Evelyn
Update: Leaf is A-okay! This scare is definitely enough to get me paranoid about gases and fumes around the birb, which I suppose is a good thing lol
Thank you all for your help!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Glad he's ok. I've heard so many horror stories about birds dying from self cleaning ovens.

When I replaced my kitchen stove I found a self cleaning oven that uses low heat with distilled water being poured in the bottom of the stove.