• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Seems cold

SeñorBirb

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ella
Even though it is 75 fahrenheit, my cockatiel's feet are cold when I take him out of his cage. After a while, he warms up. Today we put a heating pad at the bottom of his cage, but we have to see how that works out. We are taking him to the vet tomorrow for a checkup, and we will ask about it. In the meantime, what can we do about it?

peachypjm

Strolling the yard
Even though it is 75 fahrenheit, my cockatiel's feet are cold when I take him out of his cage. After a while, he warms up. Today we put a heating pad at the bottom of his cage, but we have to see how that works out. We are taking him to the vet tomorrow for a checkup, and we will ask about it. In the meantime, what can we do about it?
extra covers on the cage, check for any drafts per usual. Let us know how the vet visit goes!! Double up on the cage covering, try warmer quilted blankets if you have any!! I personally see nothing wrong with him, probably just climbs on the cage bars when they get cold. Does he have a play stand? If he does, try putting a heating pad on there too!! :pinksmile:

SeñorBirb

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ella
Vet visit went well, they said he was a little underweight. They also clipped his nails. Vet said what you said. Thanks!

peachypjm

Strolling the yard
Vet visit went well, they said he was a little underweight. They also clipped his nails. Vet said what you said. Thanks!
No problem !! I'm glad he's okay :D if he's a bit underweight try monitoring his weight each day for a week, with an appropriate scale for birds. in a stainless steel pan or pot, cook him some scrambled eggs but coat the pan with coconut oil first !! it must be bird safe cookware, this is a good way to gain a little extra weight :D

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can you get him a heated thermo perch? Mine really likes his.

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mine has a power cord routed through the length of the perch, going out then through the hardware side where it attaches to the cage. The bird can’t get to the wire at all. It plugs into the wall and I think stays on all the time unless you put a timer on it. We plug ours in for Winston Churchill on Sept 1st every year and unplug it the first of May. I’ll see if I can get a picture.

peachypjm

Strolling the yard
Mine has a power cord routed through the length of the perch, going out then through the hardware side where it attaches to the cage. The bird can’t get to the wire at all. It plugs into the wall and I think stays on all the time unless you put a timer on it. We plug ours in for Winston Churchill on Sept 1st every year and unplug it the first of May. I’ll see if I can get a picture.
thank u for the info !!!