• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Seeking lovebird advice - excessive flock calls

lovies4

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi! I need some advice. I have had 3 lovebirds for 2 years now (a peachface, masked, and a hybrid). This is my first experience with lovebirds. Previously my only bird experience was finches. At first all three got along but then 2 ganged up on one (my peachface female) and I had to separate her into her own cage. Recently I moved the 2 that get along into a 6 ft long outdoor backyard aviary that is really beautiful (we live in Los Angeles and it really is a nice set-up). All birds seemed content and tranquil except our peachface seemed like she was missing having a bird companion. We ended up getting a male peachface and the 2 have really hit it off - I pride myself on my lovebird matchmaking skills:p. The problem is the peachface lovebirds are indoors and the other pair are outside - and my hybrid (who I am pretty certain is a male) goes nuts every time the indoor male makes a noise and it turns into a huge, super loud ear-piercing flock call match. He has gotten so agitated lately that he now picks fights with his mate and flies around the aviary sounding the alarm. In the past he has been the least calm bird of the three, but this is a new level. I am so worried my neighbors are going to start complaining. I don't know how to proceed from here. Any chance he'll settle back down? Thanks!

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue :starshower1:

Could you put the Roseicollis in the aviary and bring the Hybrid and the Personatus inside? Then you can separate the Hybrid if he picks on his buddy.

lovies4

Checking out the neighborhood
Welcome to the Avenue :starshower1:

Could you put the Roseicollis in the aviary and bring the Hybrid and the Personatus inside? Then you can separate the Hybrid if he picks on his buddy.
Thanks. I have thought about that and might end up giving it a try. The reason the peachfaced birds are inside is because they are the more tame birds (the new male was hand raised) and my kids like to let them out of the cage. The others are friendly but "wild/not tame" and the hybrid has always had more nervous energy and seems happier with more room to fly in an aviary. I just didn't realize a newcomer would cause so much commotion outdoors.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Ok... Why not try first, putting the peachfaced birds cage out next to the avairy for a little while?

I´m sorry I don´t really know an answer. I think it will be a case of trial and error to see what works for you and your flock.