• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Seeking Feedback on Acquiring Two Male Love Bird Babies

Antoinette

Moving in
Thank you in advance for anyone who cares to respond with thoughts on the following idea. I have an English budgie and a crested canary, and each lives in his individual cage side by side. There is some lovely interaction between the two from this distance. The canary sings, and the budgie, who does talk, initiates the singing. They often hang out at the closest ends of their cages. I am considering the idea of adding two male Lovebird babies to a third cage with no intention of commingling anybody. From my research it sounds as if two males have the potential for bonding. I would be willing to pay for DNA testing to avoid taking chances. Would I be better off with two clutch mates to insure a happy ever after ending. Would I be taking too much of chance by finding two male babies who are of a comparable age and going that route? I also recognize that I might be setting myself up for quite a challenge in locating two baby boys given the pandemic and what appears to be a meager, if almost non existent, listing of lovebirds in the San Francisco Bay Area. In any case

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Look for a pair of already bonded male adult birds (at least 10months/a year old) offers the largest chance of success.

For you to introduce two birds, they may not get on.
For you to buy to clutch siblings, they will likely be fine at first, but once they sexually mature, all bets are off.
For you to buy two baby birds, you could encouter something similar to the prev. scenario, but I would think this way would be a little more successful.

TLDR; It is a gamble - be prepared to have them cages separately should worse come to worst.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Good luck with whatever you decide :)

Ocha_Tuna

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Raymond
Mmm by babies you mean the still developing ones you have to hand feed, or already full feathered but still got dark beak and is testing the world? In any case I think male lovebirds are better because they are known to be less nippy. Any lovebird gender can bond with one another given time.
I didn't catch on the reason you wanna get the lovebirds. Are the boys gonna be your companion? I don't see a problem so..

P.s. did you know that, under supervision, budgie and canary / finches can be let out in a room? Budgies aren't naughty little pliers with wings (unlike lovebirds) so they're safer. I would let all my birds fly in a room together had my heart not fell in love with lovebirds hahah

Last edited:

BirdLady13

Sprinting down the street
Do you intend on bonding and handling these lovebirds?