• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Seeking Easy to Chew Woods

Lady

Meeting neighbors
Our girl is great at entertaining herself chewing up toys, but is particular about what she will chew. Balsa all day every day would be the bee's knees as far as she's concerned. We can get her to chew a few other things by mixing them with the balsa, but she needs the super soft wood to get her into chomp mode.

Unfortunately balsa appears to be facing a shortage, and we're having trouble sourcing it for her toys. Are there any other woods out there as easy to rip through as balsa that we could start working into her toys?

Thanks so much in advance!

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Sola

Or Mahogany Pods- I buy them whole- and make holes in it and stuff pistacios, etc. Super fun to rip apart
Edit: also- not a wood but Loofa is a favorite. I can stuff it with all sorts of things for foraging.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Mahogany pods
Yucca
Sola
Cork and cork bark

You can also try thin (like 1/8" thin) pine

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Popsickle sticks & jumbo craft sticks.

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
California Bird Nerds offers a huge variety of balsa. We currently have 24 different sizes available. Most are available in Natural or Assorted Colors. The majority of our balsa is cut, drilled and dyed by California Bird Nerds. We also carry Sola, Yucca and Mahogany which are other great options.
Don't forget Avian Avenue members save 10% with aam5c

Lady

Meeting neighbors
California Bird Nerds offers a huge variety of balsa.
I just got my first order from you a few days ago! :) Ironically, I placed it at the same time I ordered my bulk balsa order from National Balsa. I may need to do a follow-up order with California Bird Nerds in the near future to get my girl her balsa fix.

Thank you to everyone for all the great ideas! She definitely loves the sola and yucca, as well. I had never even considered loofa or cork! I'll have to get my hands on some and try it out. We're heading to our local bird store soon, so I should be able to grab a few of all of these items and see which ones are winners.

Thanks again! I really appreciate it! :)

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I just got my first order from you a few days ago! :) Ironically, I placed it at the same time I ordered my bulk balsa order from National Balsa. I may need to do a follow-up order with California Bird Nerds in the near future to get my girl her balsa fix.

Thank you to everyone for all the great ideas! She definitely loves the sola and yucca, as well. I had never even considered loofa or cork! I'll have to get my hands on some and try it out. We're heading to our local bird store soon, so I should be able to grab a few of all of these items and see which ones are winners.

Thanks again! I really appreciate it! :)
Thank you for your order. :heart:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
If you can get it...eastern white pine is soft.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
@calibird also has some 1/4" pine slices, and notched pine slices that are my conure's absolute favorite. Any thicker than that and he's not interested. He also enjoys nibbling the points of the pine stars. And they have to be from Ann, he doesn't like how others are cut! :lol: