• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Seeking Breeders/Adoptions in the NYC (or close) area..

Wyld0ne

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tiffany
Hi Birbies!

So I live in NYC and I find that it is SO hard to find bird breeders. I was scammed by one, the other was not exactly as professional as I desired, and the other is... Questionable-ish.

I am a proud guardian of two lovely little GCCs.

It is my goal to eventually acquire another, medium sized conure. Perhaps a Blue-Crown or a Red-Masked. I've also considered an Amazon as well.

I totally believe in Adopt Don't Shop but adoption locations over here are also a bit low and hardly local.

Any ideas?

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I thought you where considering giving up your cheekies ?

I wouldnt advise on keeping any of the 3 birds you mentioned with cheekies unless you can offer seperate out of cage time they are all larger and it could be problematic.

I dont know where but i definately know there is a rescue in NY as a friend if mines cousin volunteers and ended up taking a 2 home i dont know where is is but i can ask.

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
There are a lot of rescues located in NJ within driving distance on nyc, check pet finder for ones near you

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
check pet finder for ones near you
Yes I would look into pet finder. We also have some rescue places here on Long Island I would consider googling.

I have been doing some research myself to see if I am able to donate some of my feathers baby items and a stash of new papers.
www.liparrots.org/Adopt

Last edited:

Wyld0ne

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tiffany
I thought you where considering giving up your cheekies ?

I wouldnt advise on keeping any of the 3 birds you mentioned with cheekies unless you can offer seperate out of cage time they are all larger and it could be problematic.

I dont know where but i definately know there is a rescue in NY as a friend if mines cousin volunteers and ended up taking a 2 home i dont know where is is but i can ask.
HIYA!

Yes, you are correct! I had considered it because of my little one but we have figured out ways to allow my daughter to be part of their lives without both sides freaking out. It's something we've been working on ever since that post! :) So far, they're here to stay! The more I work with her, the better she has gotten so I am looking forward to everyone's growth! They're actually really teaching her a thing or two!

The thing is, though, as much as I adore them, they weren't my general first choice of birds.

As of now, both of them already have separate cages, and the other will as well. I already know how to keep them separate...

Thank you so much for letting me know, also!

Wyld0ne

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tiffany
Yes I would look into pet finder. We also have some rescue places here on Long Island I would consider googling.

I have been doing some research myself to see if I am able to donate some of my feathers baby items and a stash of new papers.
www.liparrots.org/Adopt
Long Island would still be perfect! Thank you. Would be easy to get to by car. I've check them out!!

Wyld0ne

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tiffany
There are a lot of rescues located in NJ within driving distance on nyc, check pet finder for ones near you
I was a little worried that Pet Finders wasn't legit but I will now give them a double check. Thanks!

And yes. Most of them are located in NJ. I personally don't own a car but I've a couple of friends I can snag for the drive. lol.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Most legitimate rescues do require a home check/inspection to ensure adequate space and safety, and any current birds owner to be vet checked (with lab work done) to ensure they’re disease free.
So I encourage you to have those items done, and then begin your search.

Wyld0ne

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tiffany
Most legitimate rescues do require a home check/inspection to ensure adequate space and safety, and any current birds owner to be vet checked (with lab work done) to ensure they’re disease free.
So I encourage you to have those items done, and then begin your search.
I appreciate that advice and that is perfectly fine. I noticed the requirements in the applications when I was looking them over.
Also, both birds do have an active Avian Vet and have been checked but also routine checks when required.

I'm a first time bird owner but I've had other animals and plus my daughter. Animal/kid proofing has been a long since practice. lol

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have got a concern that you say your cheekies where not your first choice of birds, i have got to be blunt why get them if they where not what you wanted ?
I know you where scammed buying a quaker ? Methinks

I would suggest you slow down enjoy your cheekies for a few years before adding another bird.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry to hear you were scammed; that is sad.

Wyld0ne

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tiffany
I have got a concern that you say your cheekies where not your first choice of birds, i have got to be blunt why get them if they where not what you wanted ?
I know you where scammed buying a quaker ? Methinks

I would suggest you slow down enjoy your cheekies for a few years before adding another bird.
The GCCs were bought for my daughter to also enjoy them just as much as me. I figured, as my theories and readings had confirmed, that the smaller beaks were best for smaller hands and that was what I went with.

Also, after being scammed out of $3k for what was supposed to be a male Pionus, I was looking for something a little bit more affordable. It just so happened to be the GCCs. Cockatoos/Cockatiels/African Greys affect my allergies due to the amount of natural feather dust that they produce and Finches/Budgies/Canaries/Lovebirds are just a bit TOO small for my particular liking (as cute as they are).

A Quaker is what was picking on one of the cheekies (the male) that I'd gotten from a breeder. However, now it appears he's a bit of a bully himself.

Additionally, just so that we are clear and not that I thought I'd have to add this, but this was not for a soon-to-be homing. I still have a lot to do in this apartment and I haven't figured out which species I wish to go on with. I simply desire to know for when the time comes and I am ready to receive another bird into my home. I've always tried to be an early-based researcher before I jump into anything. It took me months before I even decided to get a bird and I'm still learning something new every day.

Hope that helps paint a better picture.

Wyld0ne

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tiffany
Sorry to hear you were scammed; that is sad.
Thank you. It was pretty unfortunate but nothing good will come to them for such a thing. Apparently, it's more common than I ever imagined and this particular scammer copied the whole website of a legitimate animal courier service. The true company was contacted and it seems there are federal authorities involved due to other victims claiming the same.

It was a learning experience and one that I deeply desire not to repeat again or for anyone else to EVER go through.

NightOwls

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
If interested in adoption, these sites can help...