• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Seeking 2-year foster home for Green Cheek

~Drini~

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ana
I am considering finding a 2-year foster home for my 18-year-old Green Cheek Conure, Eris. This arrangement would last until I finish college (where I am unable to keep pets in my dorm). This foster home would be with an experienced bird person, ideally somewhere in the northeastern part of the US. I’d prefer if this foster home was within a couple hours of driving distance. A home in the NYC tri-state area would be perfect. However, I am still open to flying my guy outside of the northeast to someone verified and reputable (like someone established on AA, or someone who can be vouched for by an AA member). Eris was cagemates with Blina, and while they got along well, Eris can be a bit pushy and would probably do better in his own cage. He is loving but can be cage-aggressive.

If anyone has any leads on any rescues or people who might be able to help me with setting up such an arrangement, I would greatly appreciate it. This is non-urgent, so if an ideal foster home would be available in a couple months, that would be fine.

Background info below:

As some of you might remember, my sun conure (who we had re-named to Blina, my siggy is out-of-date) fell ill and while we never got a clear answer about what her condition was, she got better and seemingly recovered fully. For background, I am a college student and my birds are living with my family. 2 weeks ago, I got a call from my mother that Blina was very suddenly feeling unwell again. I scheduled an appointment with the avian vet that same day, and off she went. She ended up passing away at the young age of 6. When the vet performed an necropsy, she found that Blina had massive internal bleeding. Several of her organs (liver, GI tract, and kidney) had become extremely pale from blood loss. We still have no idea what caused it. Blood work showed no signs of infection, and the vet found no evidence of heavy metal poisoning (I am not sure where or how she would have come into contact with a heavy metal anyways).

Anyways, this experience has traumatized us all. Blina had become such a vital part of the family, spending all of her time on someone’s (anyone’s) shoulder. She spent hours a day with my mother, following her around the house for whatever task she was doing. My mother, someone who had spent years asking me “what good is a parrot as a pet”, had fallen in complete love with this bird. I had been building a collection of selfies that my mother had been continuously sending me of her and Blina’s adventures together. My family’s grief at this loss is really unimaginable. However, in spite of all the love that they gave my birds, I still fear that they aren’t a good place to leave my other conure. Although I realize that my family did all they could, I still can’t help but feel a bit of anger for what happened, like something must have went wrong somewhere in terms of how they have been taking care of my birds, so I am exploring this foster home option.

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I am so sorry you're going through this, have you looked into off campus housing so you can take your bird with you? A couple things I would consider, the biggest is you don't know if your family actually caused the death, sometimes things just happen. Could have been an underlying injury the bird had that they had nothing to do with.

Since your bird is 18 that's a big ask to move it to another family only to move it back a couple years later. That's a huge stress on them. If I were you I'd try to exhaust all other options before looking into a foster. Average lifespan for a green cheek is 15 years so you have a senior bird on your hands so I just want to bring these things up as that is a lot of stress to put on the bird.

I am so sorry you have to go through this! I know it is not easy! This is why I actually lived with my parents and commuted to college!

~Drini~

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ana
I am so sorry you're going through this, have you looked into off campus housing so you can take your bird with you? A couple things I would consider, the biggest is you don't know if your family actually caused the death, sometimes things just happen. Could have been an underlying injury the bird had that they had nothing to do with.

Since your bird is 18 that's a big ask to move it to another family only to move it back a couple years later. That's a huge stress on them. If I were you I'd try to exhaust all other options before looking into a foster. Average lifespan for a green cheek is 15 years so you have a senior bird on your hands so I just want to bring these things up as that is a lot of stress to put on the bird.

I am so sorry you have to go through this! I know it is not easy! This is why I actually lived with my parents and commuted to college!
I would absolutely love to take him with me, but unfortunately I am in New York City and my school does not provide subsidized off-campus housing. I cannot afford to pay for both a dorm and an apartment.

I am considering maybe just keeping him in my dorm anyways — he is a very quiet guy and room inspections are once a semester. I would still like to explore this foster option though.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I think it's an excellent idea. I don't know if you'll be able to find someone, but it's worth a shot. I would help if I were closer.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
I wish... I hope he finds a soft spot to land!:heart:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I don;t know if you can hold your parents responsible for the other birds loss. Do you have any substantial proof?
What makes you think your conure would be in better hands of stranger? Has your other conure been checked? Do you suspect someone in your family hurt your bird. Internal bleeding without external trauma would not really be something you parents did.

Make sure you bird is healthy & not harboring what ever took Blinas life as it would be unfair to ask someone to take care of your bird & expose them to illness...

What makes dorms so safe? Bunch of reckless youth drowning themselves in Jean Nate, maybe smoking cigarettes or drugs, candles, incense...life is a party to them & they care not for your birds health...

I know you are grieving but so are your parents so don't let your emotions separate you from your parents & take your bird into a potentially worse situation...So think carefully///

~Drini~

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ana
I don;t know if you can hold your parents responsible for the other birds loss. Do you have any substantial proof?
What makes you think your conure would be in better hands of stranger? Has your other conure been checked? Do you suspect someone in your family hurt your bird. Internal bleeding without external trauma would not really be something you parents did.

Make sure you bird is healthy & not harboring what ever took Blinas life as it would be unfair to ask someone to take care of your bird & expose them to illness...

What makes dorms so safe? Bunch of reckless youth drowning themselves in Jean Nate, maybe smoking cigarettes or drugs, candles, incense...life is a party to them & they care not for your birds health...

I know you are grieving but so are your parents so don't let your emotions separate you from your parents & take your bird into a potentially worse situation...So think carefully///
I don’t have proof, but they are not bird people and can be not careful. You are right that I am grieving, and I am certain that they did not hurt her (and there was no evidence of physical trauma, as per the vet), but I am also certain that my other conure would be better off spending these 2 years with a bird person. I would rest better knowing that I did not leave anything to chance. Heavy vetting of the person goes without saying. If I cannot find someone suitable, he will just stay with my family or come live with me. And yes of course, he has been vet checked, he is a healthy guy.

As per the dorm issue, I know what my dorm is like and I know what environment I would be putting my conure into. It is safe, nobody is drowning in drugs and cigarettes here. I have a (relatively) large private room with large windows and lots of natural sunlight. I would still prefer a foster option over this, though.

Thank you to everyone for their wishes :heart:

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
I'm pretty far away, but if you can't find anyone closer I can definitely ask my mom if we could foster. :) So sorry for your loss.:sad11: