• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Seek and Destroy.

Linny313

Moving in
Real Name
Lindsey Pelham
Hi, I am new to the group and this is my first post.

I have had birds for a long time and think I know their body language pretty well.

I have a new Green Cheek Conure, he’s 12 weeks old.

He’s been hand reared but I don’t think handled too much so he is hand tame. Not silly tame.

The baby likes to come out and I never force him to come to me. He flies to me and sits on me by choice.

He is happy to preen, sleep and eat with me. Happy to sit on my head and hands and be stroked, picked up and lay on his back in my hand…but…

BUT…in order to do all this I have to have all my flesh covered. If he sees flesh, it’s like seek and destroy. He draws blood, holds on and is relentless with it. Any bare skin is fair game!

Does anyone have any idea as to why he does this? Or anyone had a similar experience?
How did you fix the issue? Never known anything like it and can’t seem to find anyone online with similar issues.

Attachments

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have no idea. @Wardy might. Welcome! :)

Linny313

Moving in
Real Name
Lindsey Pelham
Hey. Thank you. Hoping someone can help. Maybe I just picked a savage that pretended to be nice

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He is a lovely little fella, does he have a name ?

He is just being a baby they like to explore with there beaks ( this is called beaking ) so not a bite as such even though it hurts.

Firstly i would suggest doing some target training with him if he touches the target give him a treat if he bites no treat.

Keep a perch handy for moving him about to save your hands and it can be used to get between his beak and your hand if need be.

If he does bite put him down somewhere safe tell him no biting and ignore turn away from him, if he flys straight back to you put him down again etc.
He will soon learn not to bite, i got one of mine at the same age she still beaks my hands but she definately knows how hard she can go before she gets put down she's 20 months old now.

:welave:

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
:hello: welcome to the Avenue

Linny313

Moving in
Real Name
Lindsey Pelham
He’s called Rue. My perfect little butthole.

I already have a GCC called Rio. Most gentle little soul ever. Unless I’m brushing my teeth. He thin the toothbrush is hurting me.

Rio has not once bitten me like Rue does. Even with his “saving me from the toothbrush” bites.

Just had Rue asleep on me. With my bare fingers, rubbing his beak and cheeks. He woke up. Climbed up from under my hands and savaged me.

It’s almost like he needs blood.

Thank you for the advice. I’ll try anything. Cos it hurts…a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He’s called Rue. My perfect little butthole

I already have a GCC called Rio. Most gentle little soul ever. Unless I’m brushing my teeth. He thin the toothbrush is hurting me.

Rio has not once bitten me like Rue does. Even with his “saving me from the toothbrush” bites.

Just had Rue asleep on me. With my bare fingers, rubbing his beak and cheeks. He woke up. Climbed up from under my hands and savaged me.

Are they quaranteening in seperate rooms ?

Once together and Rue see's Rio with you this may help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Linny313

Moving in
Real Name
Lindsey Pelham
They are in separate cages in the same room at the moment.

They are only really in the cages at night tho.

I was hoping when Rue sees me with Rio it would help.

Rio spends all his time out of his cage with someone in the house so we are taking it in turns to be with Rue in a different room while he is out.

He can’t stay out too long because it’s been far too painful and warm to wear hoodies and scarfs

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They are in separate cages in the same room at the moment.

They are only really in the cages at night tho.

I was hoping when Rue sees me with Rio it would help.

Rio spends all his time out of his cage with someone in the house so we are taking it in turns to be with Rue in a different room while he is out.

He can’t stay out too long because it’s been far too painful and warm to wear hoodies and scarfs
Aim to have a routine that stays the same so his out of cage time is the same daily

Spend time with him when he is caged talking to him offering treats through the bars allowing him to get used to your hands where he cant bite you

maybe just have one person dealing with Rue for a while whilst he is out of the cage for some consistancy for Rue, i was the main person that dealt with both of our birds when they settled in. I done all of there initial training, feeding,cleaning there cage then once a level of trust was developed the biting had stopped and Mojo was more social my wife become more involved.

Linny313

Moving in
Real Name
Lindsey Pelham
Is it actually supposed to be taking chunks though. My hands are covered in these!

Attachments

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is it actually supposed to be taking chunks though. My hands are covered in these!
There is no malice in the bite Rue is just using his beak to explore as birds do training not to bite is the answer.
There bite is 300-400 PSI so they can some damage if they want.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How are you doing ?

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
He’s called Rue. My perfect little butthole.

He's NOT a little butthole--- He's just being RUE...D ! ;) Sorry, not funny tho! :shy:

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He’s getting better. Going longer between bites and not always biting as hard! He’s so snuggly and it’s a shame cos we have no trust.
Keep at it the fact there is improvement is a positive.
Whilst you donr feel there is no trust there is as Rue snuggles he just needs more time and patience on your part.
One of my girls has been with me 13 months has never snuggled maybe never will so you are doing ok.

Linny313

Moving in
Real Name
Lindsey Pelham
Rio also hates Rue. I don’t feel they will ever get along. I’m not sure Rio knows he’s a bird.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Rio also hates Rue. I don’t feel they will ever get along. I’m not sure Rio knows he’s a bird.
Its a big change for Rio as he has been a only bird for a while slow steady introduction is the best option, Rio doesnt hate Rue he doesnt like the change so he is also adjusting.
My two didnt see each other for the qt period they heard each other so there was an awareness there was another conure in the house.
Then both cages in the same room at opposite ends, seperate out of cage time with my original bird coming out first i also always fed her first initially.
Then they started to come out together they where never left alone and i had to break them up at times due to aggression things soon improved snd now they are best of friends.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I want to add that in the future if they never become best friends that is also fine. Flocks are complex and not all individuals will be best friends. It is similar to your own human situation, think of how you have varying relationships even within your own family. It doesn't mean you don't like them, but not everyone can be out best friend.

My two parrotlets, granted not conures, aren't best friend. They even fight badly from time to time. However they are still flock mates. They clearly benefit from having other birds of their own species around, and even though they have their own cages they can share the communal space amicably enough. The good thing is they are never all alone. If I get stuck at work, or if life gets complicated for an evening, the two birds (along with my other birds) can chatter amongst themselves and see each other.

Having multiple birds is amazing and after quarantine you are sure to slowly find a balance again. Many parrots (although not all species) will appreciate having flock mates. Conures in particular are highly social :) take it one day at a time and be patient. It will be an adjustment but I imagine all will be well.

Linny313

Moving in
Real Name
Lindsey Pelham
Update on Rue. He became a little angel and was the snuggliest thing…until he started moulting. He is so frustrated with it that he bites if you aren’t soothing his new feather and if you don’t do it right Gotta love him tho. He knows what he wants.