• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Seeds in conure poop

Biz

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Poo
Hi all my conure has had small seeds in her poop??
strangest thing the urates, poop structure and everything look completely fine it’s just that she’s been losing weight so out of suspicion I rubbed her poop on a towel and found undigested seed and even some walnut skin?
she is lively, bright eyed, not vomiting/regurgitating, eating a lot (probably because of the poop), vocal and able to balance fine
what illnesses can cause undigested seed in parrots and no other symptoms?

this is so strange if anybody has a similar experience I would appreciate it

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I think with how many posts you have about your bird being fluffed up, wings drooping, weight concerns, seeds in poop etc you would be best to get a vet check done on your bird to address all the health concerns you seem to have seen/noticed in such a short space of time.

It is usually highly recommended to see a vet if there are undigested seeds in poop, same goes for drooping wings, lethargy and fluffing up.

Biz

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Poo
I think with how many posts you have about your bird being fluffed up, wings drooping, weight concerns, seeds in poop etc you would be best to get a vet check done on your bird to address all the health concerns you seem to have seen/noticed in such a short space of time.

It is usually highly recommended to see a vet if there are undigested seeds in poop, same goes for drooping wings, lethargy and fluffing up.
My parrot isn’t wing drooping thank you. I was just curious about what illnesses would have that symptom because I noticed that a lot of pet Parrots who have spent time in the wild and come back to their owners are wing drooping.
In addition on the day that she was very fluffed up it was very windy outside and it took her a minute to get used to room temperature.

i think you are right about the vet, and I will book. I’d just like to know what could cause this so I can be prepared for the revealing of whatever she’s been afflicted with. this would help me because I do have a budget for the vet and I would like to know what to expect so I’m not taken by surprise when I go.

Biz

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Poo
strangest thing the urates, poop structure and everything look completely fine it’s just that she’s been losing weight so out of suspicion I rubbed her poop on a towel and found undigested seed and even some walnut skin?
she is lively, bright eyed, not vomiting/regurgitating, eating a lot (probably because of the poop), vocal and able to balance fine

Her poop has changed from not having any undigested food to having zero white urates and more water content

attached are pictures of her poop

Attachments

Cat The Great

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Caitlyn
Hi Biz,
Unfortunately, no one on this forum can diagnose your bird or tell you what to expect as far as diagnosis is concerned. The avian vet would have to examine your bird and do some tests (like a blood test possibly and/or a crop swab) to figure out what is going on. It could be anything from a bacterial infection to a fungal infection so I would strongly recommended taking your bird to the vet. I do understand the costs can be pricey (currently going through some issues with my bird), but it is worth it for your pet's health. When you go to the vet, I would just suggest that you ask the vet how much a procedure and/or test is going to be. I would also ask how that procedure and/or test will benefit your pet and how if you decide to do it or not would affect the treatment of your pet. This way you can make an educated decision and how far you want to go with procedures and/or tests.
I hope this helps,
Caitlyn

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Not one of us is a veterinarian, best advice is get to one as soon as possible.

Biz

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Poo

Thank you all so much for your comments and insights. The vet suspects a infection and we’ve been prescribed antibacterials for this.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Thank you all so much for your comments and insights. The vet suspects a infection and we’ve been prescribed antibacterials for this.
Thank you so much for the update, I have been a tad concerned so this is great news :)
I hope your bird feels better really soon and shows signs of improvement asap.

Reactions: Biz