• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Seed stuck in throat: Bella RFM at Vet all weekend w/Oxygen

Status
Not open for further replies.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
sending best wishes for a quick recovery :heart:

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sending positive healing thoughts for Bella.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Did you try peanut butter? It stick to just about anything. Prayers she can get it out without surgery.

Ginger

tpoduje

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Todd
Did you try peanut butter? It stick to just about anything. Prayers she can get it out without surgery.

Ginger
We did not, she went straight from her previous Foster Home to the vet where they discovered the seed. Will see what the vet advises tomorrow if nothing changes today, thanks for the suggestion, I will bring it up as it seems feasible. We now have her cage here ready for arrival as we are a good 45 minutes closer to the vet than her previous home(we're just 10 minutes from the vet). We don't want to stress her with a move right now but we will have a LOT more time for her during the day than her previous home did so we hope it will be a welcome relief since she already knows us. Hoping for the best today.

tpoduje

Real Name
Todd
Looks like we get to bring her home tomorrow! Her breathing sounds better today but they kept her at the vet tonight for one more dose of Anti-Fungals in case any remnants of the seed could mold. I hope that we can get final confirmation that it is resolved and she is 100% back to normal. Will update you all as I get more info. Please please please!

tpoduje

Real Name
Todd
Thanks for the support, I know I'm not quite comfortable yet until we know it is out. Will see if we can have another X-Ray tomorrow. Even if the seed was still there, we have been told the procedure to remove it has a low success rate and is likely not worth the risk. I am hoping to hear her breathing is 100% normal so we can welcome her with a proper celebration! :)

Myztik

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Nel
Did you suggest the peanut butter that someone else mentioned? Can't be any harm on trying it?

tpoduje

Real Name
Todd
Bella is home with us tonight! :)

She is wheezing audibly but much less than when she went in and almost not at all when fully calm. She will receive 10 days of Antifungals and the hope is that this will prevent the obstruction from worsening and eventually pass on its own. We are very happy to have her here and are taking it easy to let her acclimate to her new environment. She is a sweet bird and will not bite me, we have been preening a lot tonight. That being said, we were told she does not step up much and she has not stepped up for me once, no big surprise and we will take it slow. We had to remove the perch from the travel cage we brought her home in just to coax her into her 40"x30" which was ready and waiting. This is one of the trickier home transfers we've dealt with and we really hope it brings her all the best.

As for her meds, they are small capsules (think cous cous) which we are supposed to put in peanut butter or a similar textured substance once a day. This should be easier than liquid meds and far less stressful, we'll just have to hope her previous foster home knows a favorite snack we can offer her. THis may be the sticky option we were hoping for given folks' suggestions here.

Welcome Bella! :heart:

DSC_0010_1024.jpg

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
So very glad to get this news! Welcome home Bella! And how great is it that her meds are as small as a cous cous and they are covered in a favorite treat. I'm excited for all of you as you embark on this journey. :hug8:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She is stunning! So happy to hear that she is home with you,and on the mend.

Yoshi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessie
So happy she is home! :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.