• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Seed Sprouting

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
I've been trying to sprout some seeds recently, but it's such a pain. They get stuck to the plate, and apparently I have to be washing them daily, so I try scrape them off and put them into a siv but lose half of them in the process.
Would they be able to sprout if I just left them in the siv? The packet says to spread them out but it's becoming a painful process.
From what I can see it contains: Mung beans, Millet, Chia seed, sesame seed, and some sort of other seed. Thanks :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Chia seeds (and flax seeds) will drown your other seeds, so that's why you have to spread them out. If you have a sprout mix without a mucilage producing seed, you can leave it in the sive.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I just do my sprouts in a jar or container now and use my fingers over the top to drain the water off (or a cotton cloth for smaller teeny seeds) but I do not do seeds like chia and flax/linseed anymore as I found they were horrible in all of the mixes I bought and were more of a pain to sprout mixed in with other things than they were to sprout on their own- they more often than not just ruined my sprouting efforts so if I want them sprouted I do them on their own now.

You really need to rinse the sprouts in fresh water more than once a day which may also help to stop them sticking.