• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Seed Mixes in the UK

RainbowFlo

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Estella
Hi! Sorry to bother anyone but I was wondering if anyone knew of any quality seed mixes I could find in the UK that you know of or you use for a tiel (or similar sized bird). Most that I've seen or scarletss have a lot of added berries and dried bananas etc. which sounds like a lot of sugar to me. I would have loved to get Goldenfeast Gardenflora but the only UK supplier that had them was Gardenfeathers and they're out of stock of all the mixes. On Amazon, the cheapest is £49/ $61.65. All the others mixes have 4/5 actual types of seeds and everything else is stuff I can't pronouce like vitamins etc. Is that what to expect from most mixes (kinda new to all this so not sure)? I also looked a Tops Napoleons but it seems to have just 5 ingredients... Is that enough? What seeds should be in a seed mix I buy? Thanks!

~ Estella :loveshower:

Note: The breeder gives out a small bag of the babies current seed but it won't past long so I need to have a replacement on hand :)

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Mantis64

I give my bird a mix with fruit in it although hes a ringneck so its required to have some fruit. However I'm gonna be converting him to pellets soon.

clarousel

Do you have Versele Laga there? I don't know if it's the best brand but it was the only brand of seed mix here I could find that didn't have additives/pellets I didn't want.

RainbowFlo

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Estella
ooh thanks for the suggestion :) ! I think we might have it here , I'll have a look. When it comes to additives I'm not sure if they are a bad thing or not? I heard dried fruit has a higher concentration of sugar so I assumed it shouldn't be in a mix?

clarousel

ooh thanks for the suggestion :) ! I think we might have it here , I'll have a look. When it comes to additives I'm not sure if they are a bad thing or not? I heard dried fruit has a higher concentration of sugar so I assumed it shouldn't be in a mix?
That's true but I just wanted pure seed to be 100% sure! I don't know that much about chemical stuff either.

Yes dried fruit is high in sugar so I think if you do intend to offer it, you should do so separately so you can control how much sugar is given.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Fruit in moderation can be a good thing in a diet. Lookup Hagen Gourmet, there's a Tiel version as well as a small parrot version which doesn't have sunflower seed. Sunflower seeds aren't the devil you think they are, they can be part of a healthy diet.
I don't understand all the negativity when nutritionalists and vets have spent years developing the best complete seed mixes.