• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Seed mix

Status
Not open for further replies.

IggyPepito

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
What's a good seed mix? I bought volkmans conure mix but it has peanuts and dried peas in it. Aren't peas bad for birds? I think I read that some where. I don't really want to feed Iggy peanuts either. Oh and it also has sunflower seeds in it. I only give him a tiny bit of seeds but still I'd prefer to have a "healthier" seed mix...if there is such a thing. What do you guys recommend?

Kermit

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jacque
i use the same mix but i just pick all the peanuts out before i put it in the container i feed the birds from.

i feed Bountiful Harvest(from SafeBirdStore) mostly but a couple times a week i add 1 tablespoon of the seed to the BH....makes them all happy.

and peas aren't bad as far as i know

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Peas are not bad but they are high in protein; peas and peanuts are genetically related (legumes). Most small parrots are recommended low protein diets; therefore limit legumes. Peanuts can carry aflatoxins (naturally occurring poison) and funguses which can cause disease in birds. Most seed mixes have animal feed grade peanuts and put them in raw. If you give human grade, unsalted, roasted peanuts the aflatoxin is partly deactivated and the funguses killed by the cooking. Very low risk for the bird, especially if shelled. Sunflower seeds are not bad for your bird, either. They are high in fat and low on vitamins, but do have trace minerals and birds love them like candy. Just limit the sunflower seeds; you don't have to eliminate them completely.

The real watchword in feeding a parrot seeds is not 'don't give...', but rather 'moderation'. The Bountiful Harvest is a great mix and my birds love it, but I can't use it because it has chili peppers in it and they trigger my asthma every time I try and use them. I do recommend the BH.

Status
Not open for further replies.