• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Seed in nostril

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Spearmint was playing in his foraging box, when he looks up at me, with a seed lodged perfectly in his nostril. I tried to get it out with my fingers, but it didn't work. At this point i'm panicking, is he going to choke? Meanwhile he's sitting there making funny noises and not caring at all. I ended up putting a drop of water on it and sucking it out :arghh::depressed:.
Highly doubt it, but does anyone think this is something that is a concern? Like, would it be possible for him to actually choke or suffocate like this? Sounds stupid, but I was very worried at the time lol.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He has two nostrils so not likely to suffocate but you done the right thing removing it, if it went in deeper it would more than likely cause issues.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Share a close up photo. You may be seeing the “ operculum” inside the nostril… which should be there.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
It was 100% a seed, I got it out of him. It was at the front of his nostril, a little piece of millet
It is awesome you got it out, I would like to suggest if it happens again you do not drip water into the nares as it can be dangerous for your bird. Just gently suck it out- I have done it with crud Burt got stuck in his nares and I am pretty sure macawnutz has done the same thing with Korbel before. If it is lodged good then a vet trip is the best way to sort it.

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
It is awesome you got it out, I would like to suggest if it happens again you do not drip water into the nares as it can be dangerous for your bird. Just gently suck it out- I have done it with crud Burt got stuck in his nares and I am pretty sure macawnutz has done the same thing with Korbel before. If it is lodged good then a vet trip is the best way to sort it.

Yeah looking back it wasn't the smartest idea, I think I was just panicking as i'd already tried to suck out out but it just went in further.