• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sedation, what do I do?

Skyboy7

Moving in
Real Name
Torrance
Hi, my bird Sky (Quaker parrot) ingested abs passed metal last weekend, he is being treated with medications and calcium agents. I brought him home and he declined the next day, he’s not really eating on his own, he’s been hospitalized for 6 days now. Because he’s still not really eating on his own they want to do an x ray on his organs and would have to sedate him, in order to get the proper look. His blood came back normal liver and kidneys looked fine, protein levels are a little low. Is it getting the x ray worth the risk? I don’t know what to do

Attachments

Skyboy7

Moving in
Real Name
Torrance
They’re also feeding directly into his crop at the vets

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
I'm sorry to hear your bird isn't doing well.

Do your trust your vet and have faith they'll provide the best possible care they're able to?

Maybe ask them what it is their looking for (inflamed organs? bit of metal not passed?) and what the treatment course would consist of if they do find something. Perhaps that would help to make a decision.

Personally, if my vet recommended xray on my declining bird, I would do it. Not because I believe we should ignore our gut instincts or own judgement and blindly follow the advice of others.. but because the bird is already in a declining state and it may be a last option to find the cause.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
If your bird is as sick as you indicate he is and is not getting better with his current treatment, I would opt for the xray in a nanosecond. Anesthesia and the method surrounding it are very safe and very good today. There is always a risk, but your bird is at high risk right now. They probably want to determine if there is a solid piece of metal in him and where it is located. There are many illnesses that can only be determine with an xray.

Skyboy7

Moving in
Real Name
Torrance
I'm sorry to hear your bird isn't doing well.

Do your trust your vet and have faith they'll provide the best possible care they're able to?

Maybe ask them what it is their looking for (inflamed organs? bit of metal not passed?) and what the treatment course would consist of if they do find something. Perhaps that would help to make a decision.

Personally, if my vet recommended xray on my declining bird, I would do it. Not because I believe we should ignore our gut instincts or own judgement and blindly follow the advice of others.. but because the bird is already in a declining state and it may be a last option to find the cause.
Hi, thank you so much for replying. He’s doing noticeably better and they want to send him home, with continued medication. I’m not familiar with this vet. So I’d like to speak to my vet, they open in a few days. If he continues to show signs of improvement I’ll keep him, and if he declines again I will take him back. The first x ray they said might have suggested his liver was enlarged but they’re not too sure, which is why they wanted to do the sedated x ray. They said the medication wouldn’t change if it was.

Skyboy7

Moving in
Real Name
Torrance
If your bird is as sick as you indicate he is and is not getting better with his current treatment, I would opt for the xray in a nanosecond. Anesthesia and the method surrounding it are very safe and very good today. There is always a risk, but your bird is at high risk right now. They probably want to determine if there is a solid piece of metal in him and where it is located. There are many illnesses that can only be determine with an xray.
Hi, thank you they are discharging him today. They feel like he needed more time with the medication, there isn’t anymore metal in his system. But they wanted to make sure there was nothing wrong with his organs

Skyboy7

Moving in
Real Name
Torrance
We’re going to keep there one more day and see if he continues to get better. If the vet feels he should still get the x ray then I’ll do it, I’m still very conflicted about it though. I had to take him back there when they first discharged him bc he wouldn’t eat, the vet is two hours away

Feathery

Real Name
Nichole
What was it he swallowed? Just curious!

Perhaps sharing can serve as a cautionary tale! :)

Skyboy7

Moving in
Real Name
Torrance
If his appetite doesn’t increase I’ll get the x ray done, but I’m extremely nervous about it

Skyboy7

Moving in
Real Name
Torrance
Update: Sky is back home they discharged him again, he was talking and acting if relatively normal when I saw him just seemed very stressed. We are now home and I can honestly say he’s terrified he’s so scared and still skinnier

Feathery

Real Name
Nichole
Hopefully settling back in at home in familiar surroundings will help to continue his healing.

Prayers sent for your baby!

Skyboy7

Moving in
Real Name
Torrance
Hopefully settling back in at home in familiar surroundings will help to continue his healing.

Prayers sent for your baby!
Thank you he’s starting to move more and talk a little but still very scared, he won’t move or eat a whole lot yet

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Best of luck with your baby :)

Skyboy7

Moving in
Real Name
Torrance