• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Securing PVC caps to rope

Alliusis

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Caitlin
I bought about 100ft of 1/2 inch sisal rope and I would like to make some perches for my birds, and some birds at an aviary I volunteer at.

I want to secure the PVC caps so they won't fall out. What's the best way to do this? I was thinking glueing the PVC cap to the rope, drilling in a screw through the side of the PVC cap (into the rope) to double-secure it, and then drilling in the eyescrew from the top of the cap into the rope. How do you prevent the eyescrew from detaching from the rope/cap?

Thank you!!

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
We had a rope perch damaged, took the end off to repair it & discovered they used eye bolts with a nut, instead of an eye screw. Drill a hole in the end of the PVC cap, put the eye bolt in first, tighten the nut down, then use hot glue & stick the rope in. Use plenty of hot glue so the end of the rope, part way up the side of the rope & the eye bolt nut is well covered. You may need to hold it in place until the hot glue sets.

You'll want the PVC cap to fit the diameter of the rope as tight as possible. Also use short eye bolts, so the end with the nut isn't too long. I'd also suggest a good quality hot glue like you'd find at maybe Lowe's or Home Depot. Stanley hot glue, according to info aka Google, is rated a the best for strength.

Alliusis

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Caitlin
Oh my goodness, thank you so much!! I just measured the diameter of the rope and it's either 3/4 inch or 7/8 inch, so I'll go with the smaller capsize to make sure it's REALLY snug. That's very smart about the bolt and nut. I'll look into some good glue too.