• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Secondary Reinforcers: The Devil You Don’t Know (article)

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I enjoyed this article as it encourages us to look beyond food as a reinforcer.

One of the benefits of secondary reinforcers is that unlike primary reinforcers, they are more difficult to satiate. They are also highly individual, varying with the animal’s background and preferences, making them virtually limitless. This also means that we can get really creative with our use of secondary reinforcers because we aren’t just confined to the delivery of food or the feelings of hunger or satiation. For many pet owners, it’s this “desire to be with us” rather than just seeking food that makes us feel that we are more than a trainer but a friend or family member. These types of inadvertent trainers may not in fact realize that they are utilizing reinforcers, but when the relationship starts to take a difficult turn, we are left looking for answers in a relationship we are only seeing part of.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Great article :)

cChristine

Moving in
Real Name
Christine
I enjoyed this article as it encourages us to look beyond food as a reinforcer.

One of the benefits of secondary reinforcers is that unlike primary reinforcers, they are more difficult to satiate. They are also highly individual, varying with the animal’s background and preferences, making them virtually limitless. This also means that we can get really creative with our use of secondary reinforcers because we aren’t just confined to the delivery of food or the feelings of hunger or satiation. For many pet owners, it’s this “desire to be with us” rather than just seeking food that makes us feel that we are more than a trainer but a friend or family member. These types of inadvertent trainers may not in fact realize that they are utilizing reinforcers, but when the relationship starts to take a difficult turn, we are left looking for answers in a relationship we are only seeing part of.

Great info! Thank you for the resource I love researching and trying to learn how to communicate better with my feathery friend.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Interesting read. I dont think it applies to a cat though. They are in a world of doing their own thing so to speak. However unless they are sick food/treats are a great motivator.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Interesting read. I dont think it applies to a cat though. They are in a world of doing their own thing so to speak. However unless they are sick food/treats are a great motivator.
Cats train us with their attention. My cat owning friend will do anything to get their cat to grace them with their kitty presence.